collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 9
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Keeping stock with doll vs pooling stock & mixing it up???  (Read 1948 times)

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Keeping stock with doll vs pooling stock & mixing it up???
« on: April 25, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
I like to mix/match clothing items and redress my tribe, but I also see the value in keeping the original stock together. So what to do?!?!

Complicating matters, I've gotten a bunch of dolls and clothes through ebay lots or secondhand, not NIB retail purchases. Right now I have lots of ziplocs. Must find a way to Tame the Clothing Horde. (lol...Hoard?)

I'm curious what others are doing...please share your current method and any lessons learned over the years! Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:40:58 PM by DogMom »
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline RodimusKnight

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping stock with doll vs pooling stock & mixing it up???
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
If it's a doll I'm keeping, I'll put there stock together in a snack bag, unless I'm using parts of it. If it's a doll or dolls That I'm buying simply for their clothes (i.e. Bratz) I separate the clothes into types and keep them in a compartmental tool box. Then when I redress a doll, I look through what I think looks nice.

I even have a small compartmental box for crafting that I used for Accessories.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
I get where you're coming from! Especially since MH dolls have so many tiny, tiny accessories like earrings and bracelets... You can always save a number of photos of the doll, or (if you're really dedicated) make corresponding lists of each doll's stock. That way you can always piece the original ensemble back together if you want to. :)

As for Ebay lots, I usually just throw all the clothes in one bag, and all the accessories in another. XD

Offline lucifercrossing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
    • lucifercrossing tumblr
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:43:03 PM »
I have two craft "cases" that I keep all my clothing and accessories in. honestly, its an absolute mess and not organised at all, but it does the job so it works for now. I dont really have a lot of extra clothing for my dolls. as for dressing my dolls, I dress them in whatever I see fit. I find it weird dressing MH dolls in other MH dolls clothing though, not sure why!  :blink: :biggrin:

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
I HAVE been thinking of doing some kind of photo archive or record, taking pics of an undressed doll with all clothes/accessories so if I needed to recreate the original doll I could. But then, is that necessary? Overkill? I dunno, thus asking for what others have found as good solutions.

I'm thinking I'll keep my FdC stock pretty organized,  as it's my fave and the only MH theme I have ALL the dolls from. Most still NIB except for the Rochelle & Scaregrounds set, and Gooliope. But they'll get deboxed someday!

I did recently put Lagoona in a Frankie (sig?) dress...she's pretty cute in it!

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
I keep small stuff in organizers or a tool box thing. There is value in not buying a bunch of different types of boxes. I like larger deeper ones form Home Depot, I think Stanley.

I am not completely stuck on things being complete, but I don't like to lose small things. Extra clothes I keep in those fold out cloth make up cases with see thru pockets. 

This site is good if you Need something referenced to a doll someone here will know what goes with who.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »
I HAVE been thinking of doing some kind of photo archive or record, taking pics of an undressed doll with all clothes/accessories so if I needed to recreate the original doll I could. But then, is that necessary? Overkill? I dunno, thus asking for what others have found as good solutions.

I'm thinking I'll keep my FdC stock pretty organized,  as it's my fave and the only MH theme I have ALL the dolls from. Most still NIB except for the Rochelle & Scaregrounds set, and Gooliope. But they'll get deboxed someday!

I did recently put Lagoona in a Frankie (sig?) dress...she's pretty cute in it!

They don't necessarily have to be your own photos, even--that would be a lot of work, I agree! You can just find some stock or customer photos from around the net that show the various accessories, then save them in a digital folder together. That way you have a visual reference for things like necklaces and rings. :) With Monster High, those can get confusing fast! To be fair, I'm pretty obsessive about organization, though. XD

Offline Pyrefly Projects

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »
I play with my dolls. I generally keep my 'ideal' version of each character on display, usually in their own stock outfit (with additions) or some combination of clothes to suit.
I also keep a pool of clothing stripped from dolls I don't display, or have stripped for customizing etc - These I keep in binders, accessories and shoes in plastic containers etc. I use these to put together new outfits for photo ops or customized dolls going out. The only stock outfits I keep separately or 'complete' are those fashions I consider special or early wave, or if someone is getting their hair done. If I need to recreate a particular doll's stock, theres the internet to pull up a reference photo.

I'd say my 'method' if it can be called that, came about after I crystallized 'how' I wanted to collect and yet keep the number of dolls managable, since I don't have a great deal of place to safely display them. Anyway, theres my take!

Offline Ameyal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:24:48 PM »
It depends on the origin of the doll... If I got them brand new, they keep their stock(Maybe I take their purse or earrings for safe keeping if I'm storing them). If get them second hand, they usually come naked, or missing stuff, or I just got them for their stock, so I dress them with whatever I think looks good.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:05:53 PM by Ameyal »

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 06:36:37 AM »
I play with my dolls. I generally keep my 'ideal' version of each character on display, usually in their own stock outfit (with additions) or some combination of clothes to suit.
I also keep a pool of clothing stripped from dolls I don't display, or have stripped for customizing etc - These I keep in binders, accessories and shoes in plastic containers etc. I use these to put together new outfits for photo ops or customized dolls going out. The only stock outfits I keep separately or 'complete' are those fashions I consider special or early wave, or if someone is getting their hair done. If I need to recreate a particular doll's stock, theres the internet to pull up a reference photo.

I'd say my 'method' if it can be called that, came about after I crystallized 'how' I wanted to collect and yet keep the number of dolls managable, since I don't have a great deal of place to safely display them. Anyway, theres my take!

Thanks, Pyrefly, that's very helpful! Especially the part about how your system came together after you decided about the 'how' of collecting for you.

Ameyal, that's a good distinction - were they 'new' or 'pre-loved' - and dressed accordingly. The ones that arrive nude or partially clothed - it's a free-for-all!

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
I have over 100 dolls and probably at least 200 outfits so it would take forever to group each individual outfit together. I do have bags for the plastic accessories because they're so tiny but they're all thrown in together. I enjoy changing the outfits and mixing them up so there's no real reason for me to try and keep them separate.

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:57:50 PM »
In my collection some dolls stay in their stock, but a lot have mixed clothes and accessories too. I just do what I like. My storage method is also zip blogs and a little plastic sorter box I got from Ikea for the small bits. I also have some very tiny baggies like 1x2 inches that I keep earrings and such in so I don't lose them. I keep any objects I'm selling in baggies separate from my stuff.

I think you could always refer to online photos for the original stock of a doll. That's what I've done if I was confused about what belonged to whom.

Offline QueenGusty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 05:05:33 AM »
I definitely mix it up and redress, I think it's the whole fun of having dolls. Little Cellyzombie is obsessed with clothes so I'm always hunting for stuff that will fit her. Her obsession arises out of the few short weeks she was the only Equestria Girl and had nothing to wear but her stock. And then the Barbies laughed at her when she tried to try on their clothes so she tried to eat them and that my friends, is a whole 'nother story...!

Carrie
"I'm the C to the E-L, L, Y ZOM-BIE. Ain't no other EQG eats brains like me!

I'm a zombie and you're delicious!"

https://www.facebook.com/cellyzombieeatsworld

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 05:41:08 AM »
I keep my loose stock in tackle boxes. They're handy as anything. I also like to mix and match things (and have lots of dolls I bought nude, or to customise, which gives me lots of options to play with all the goodies.) The tackle boxes I bought have little compartments that you can rearrange the size for, so I've sorted them by item types. So one box is shoes. Another box has tops and dresses, etc.

I also have a zip lock of stuff that currently isn't sorted because I ran out of box room, and need to get more from the hardware store... <_<;;

In general, I keep one doll in its standard stock. Any doll after that is fair game. That said, I have made tweaks to some dolls' standard stock for my own funsies.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 03:58:15 PM »
Thanks everyone who shared their dollie wardrobe strategies! With seeing folks selling stuff, I started getting a bit panicked, like I'd need to keep stuff together in case I ever wanted to resell. I'm already doing some of this, plastic organizers and ziplocs and redressing so I enjoy it, so I'll likely continue. I do like the idea of one doll in stock and then everyone else is fair game!

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
Do what you like! I've made accessories for dolls whose standard stock wasn't quite what I wanted (fish necklace for Scaremester Catrine, for example, or cutting the furry fringe off of Honey's sig dress hem). Even if you plan to resell eventually, it's probably not going to have a major impact. Only a few dolls have huge resale value these days. So just do what you enjoy!

Offline Shahaila

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 07:12:03 AM »
If it's a doll I'm keeping, I'll put there stock together in a snack bag, unless I'm using parts of it. If it's a doll or dolls That I'm buying simply for their clothes (i.e. Bratz) I separate the clothes into types and keep them in a compartmental tool box. Then when I redress a doll, I look through what I think looks nice.

I even have a small compartmental box for crafting that I used for Accessories.
Ditto.  I have a compartmentalized box for accessories, and keep clothes by character in baggies, though I do have some by stock type (i.e. MH Dance Class stock).  I also have a big shoe bag.  I have to admit, it all gets mixed up at times and I then have to go back and sort it all out ... but that is part of the fun  :biggrin: ... speaking of which, I need to do that and see if I can put some stuff up for trade or sale.
"I have no particular talent,
I am passionately inquisitive" Albert Einstein