collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

June 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: Tips on reshaping ears?  (Read 639 times)

Offline Sweet Bats

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Tips on reshaping ears?
« on: April 05, 2017, 03:00:31 AM »
I tried searching for this and mostly got results on reshaping the entire head, or something unrelated like reshaping feet or piercing ears.

For an upcoming custom, I'm wanting to reshape the ears of a Monster High doll to a more humanlike shape. I'm thinking Draculaura miiiight be able to get away with not changing anything since the point of her ear isn't that dramatic, but for dolls like Venus where it's clearly pointed, how would one go about rounding it off? Would sandpaper be the best bet or is there another tool that would do a better job? Is there a risk of accidentally making a hole in the head where the top of the ear was or is the material thick enough that this isn't an issue? Thanks in advance!

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on reshaping ears?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
If her ear is not hollow at all—and I have no idea whether it is or not—then this should be perfectly do-able. 
I would probably recommend using an Exact-O knife to carefully carve the ear into its new shape. 
I've never sanded the soft vinyl heads of these dolls before, so I'm not sure how they react to sandpaper and whether it would achieve what you're going for or just demolish the vinyl.  I'll let someone with more sanding experience weigh in on that one. ^.^
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:48:39 AM by SaelaVe »

Offline Sirenamber

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Oooh shiny pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:30:26 AM »
Hmmmm exacto blade and nail file? Not sure how it would work out..

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 01:13:22 PM »
If her ear is not hollow at all—and I have no idea whether it is or not—then this should be perfectly do-able. 
I would probably recommend using an Exact-O knife to carefully carve the ear into its new shape. 
I've never sanded the soft vinyl heads of these dolls before, so I'm not sure how they react to sandpaper and whether it would achieve what you're going for or just demolish the vinyl.  I'll let someone with more sanding experience weigh in on that one. ^.^

Seconding the X-Acto knife. Go slow, though! An X-Acto cuts through the vinyl like butter, so you have to be super-careful or you'll gouge a hole in the head.

I do recommend sanding to smooth it out. MH heads are pretty resistant to sanding though, so expect it to be tedious. :P I've used sanding needles (for shaping eye holes), but I've also heard of good results with a diamond file. One trick is to pinch the head so that the area you want to sand is pushed out--that can really help.

Good luck! I've never actually tried trimming the ears on an MH head, myself... Let us know how it goes!

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
I'll have to find a doll I don't mind destroying for testing purposes, don't want to ruin the one I plan to customize! Thanks everyone <3

Offline Firecracker

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
My SO and I have reshaped mh ears.  It was a combo of x-acto and sanding.  If you want to do some sanding all you have to do is freeze the head first so you have a harder surface to work with.  It's an older thread but here it is.
http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,5141.msg120785.html#msg120785

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »
My SO and I have reshaped mh ears.  It was a combo of x-acto and sanding.  If you want to do some sanding all you have to do is freeze the head first so you have a harder surface to work with.  It's an older thread but here it is.
http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,5141.msg120785.html#msg120785
Exactly what I needed, and Grell turned out fantastic! Thank you so much!