collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Dress Your Doll kits  (Read 1078 times)

Offline SpaceCadet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
Dress Your Doll kits
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »
Has anyone tried Dress Your Doll kits?

They're DIY Barbie-sized clothes, printed on stretchy non-fraying fabric, designed to encourage children to sew. You just cut along the edges of the design pieces and sew on the dotted lines. They come with an extra paper pattern too, to allow you to make more clothes with your own fabric.

I just sewed together the Tilly pattern - a long-sleeved top and dungarees - and I have mixed feelings. It probably didn't help that I started with a 'difficult' kit, mind...

Cons: the fabric is a bit slippery and tends to show white marks where I put the needle through, the sewing lines are printed on the right side which means I couldn't see them when I was putting the garments together, and the top doesn't open in the back so I had to slip it on the doll.

Pros: the designs are *really* cute, the fabric doesn't fray (no hemming!) and has a bit of stretch, the whole thing came together really quickly and the clothes fit on several of my dolls.

My Hasbro Pocahontas is rocking the dungarees. I tried the top on her, PMC2 Bryden and Abbey and it fit all of them - albeit with varying degrees of looseness. I think with some tweaking these could be really nice, so I may try picking up another kit.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
Re: Dress Your Doll kits
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »
They sound like the fabric they used to make with pre-printed doll clothes patterns on them, that you used to be able to buy at the store. 
I wish they made some for MH/EAH sized dolls!
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline desdisques

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
Re: Dress Your Doll kits
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »
Those are so cool, my Niece would love that! I think the concept has been around for a very long time but it's nice to see current fashion and a fray-free fabric.

I had this computer game as a kid that printed clothes you stuck together.

https://youtu.be/x62hwsAlzZ8

These things are great for kids because it really teaches you the construction aspect. And of course you feel so proud of stuff you did yourself.