collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

April 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Author Topic: Help with odd outfit  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Sweet Bats

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Help with odd outfit
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »
So for a friend's birthday, I wanted to customize a doll of a character she likes for her, along with an outfit or two. Her favorite outfit of this character's is an orange suit, like a mascot suit (head arms and legs sticking out of a giant orange). I've never even considered how to make a circular outfit, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. The only thing I've been thinking might work is hollowing out and making limb holes for this, but not sure how well that will work, or how best to fasten the two halves together, or if there's possibly something that would work better. Thanks!

Offline misskindle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Re: Help with odd outfit
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 08:33:56 PM »
I'm not that great with actual patterns, but if you needed stiff fabric to accomplish this you could use a sponge to apply thin layers of Mod Podge on the fabric, or use a fabric stiffening spray. I know this technique is used for making crowns and tiaras out of lace.

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
Would you maybe be able to start with a Kigurumi-type pattern and modify it? I personally hate styrofoam so if I were doing something like that, I'd probably stuff with cotton or something soft.

Offline rianif

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 12:32:31 AM »
You can also try the Fabric ball pattern and modify from there? Maybe add Velcro to one opening and not shut the place for the arms and legs?

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:11:14 AM »
So for a friend's birthday, I wanted to customize a doll of a character she likes for her, along with an outfit or two. Her favorite outfit of this character's is an orange suit, like a mascot suit (head arms and legs sticking out of a giant orange). I've never even considered how to make a circular outfit, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. The only thing I've been thinking might work is hollowing out and making limb holes for this, but not sure how well that will work, or how best to fasten the two halves together, or if there's possibly something that would work better. Thanks!

Can you post a pic of the character?

Do you want to avoid sewing options?

Does the doll need to come out of the costume, or is a permanent art doll an option?

What stores do you have near you for getting supplies?

How soon do you need to have it done?

That's a nice gift idea for your friend, Simply....
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Sweet Bats

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 01:53:35 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I am liking the fabric ball idea!

Here is what the outfit looks like, and with the MH doll measurements, it looks like something around 3-3.5" would work best.

However this shows it doesn't need to be perfectly orb-shaped and can be a bit oblong, which will certainly help with the arms!

If at all possible, I would like the outfit to be able to be removed, and was considering seeing if I could modify the fabric ball to be split down the middle, with a front and back half that velcro together.

I know I have Michaels and Joann near me, I'm a bit north of Sacramento and not opposed to online ordering.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
If I were making it for my friend....

I'd use some nice felt that would be easy to make a fabric ball with, and would tend to hold its shape without stuffing, since you want to take it off.

I'm thinking you could do it in a bottom half and a top half...bottom half could have leg holes cut in, plus straps or 'suspenders' that would keep it on the doll. Top half would fit OVER bottom half a little. And you could do the top half with arm holes plus a bigger head hole, that could close with a snap or tiny piece of velcro.

If you used felt or similar fabric, no hemming of arm/leg/head holes needed! You can also paint the spots.

For the brown arms/legs, easy enough to make leggings and sleeves out of a stretchy Lycra knit.

Good luck! Do post pics!
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis