collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

June 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: That fabric print would look perfect on my doll!  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Sweet Bats

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
That fabric print would look perfect on my doll!
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »
Despite having hardly any sewing experience, I've had an interest in fashion design for quite some time, and although it would be difficult working with such small-scale clothing, customizing doll clothes seems like fun! I popped into my local Joann tonight to get a hands-on look at some of the fabrics, and one in particular caught my eye and just made me think "How cute would that be on the Shriekwrecked line of dolls?"

Joann Link

Unfortunately I don't know if the actual fabric would be good for doll clothes, but the print instantly made me think of that particular line of dolls. There was another nice sugar skulls fabric perfect for Skelita, but my phone died </3

Have there ever been any prints you've seen, or even items of people-sized clothing that immediately made you think of a doll?

moving to Clawdeen's Closet from Monster Discussion - Melissa
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:29:13 AM by Melissa »

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: That fabric print would look perfect on my doll!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:22:19 AM »

Have there ever been any prints you've seen, or even items of people-sized clothing that immediately made you think of a doll?

Oh, all the time! AND, I'm always looking at clothing and trims, thinking 'oh, that'd make a cute dollie skirt/top/vest/whatever'!! I recently got a piece of baby clothing on clearance (so under 2 bucks) JUST for the cute fabric for dollie clothing.

One specific piece of yardage I got was some cool Lycra stretchy knit, has an overall small texture-looking coloring with pink as the primary color. I got it for my 17" Gooliope, and liked the pattern SO much that I also got some in the black/white/grey colorway. Just in case the pink was TOO MUCH pink, ya know?! Not sure yet what I'll make, but I got enough fabric so I have options.

Good question! And love the pirate-ish fabric...did you get some?
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »

Oh, all the time! AND, I'm always looking at clothing and trims, thinking 'oh, that'd make a cute dollie skirt/top/vest/whatever'!! I recently got a piece of baby clothing on clearance (so under 2 bucks) JUST for the cute fabric for dollie clothing.

One specific piece of yardage I got was some cool Lycra stretchy knit, has an overall small texture-looking coloring with pink as the primary color. I got it for my 17" Gooliope, and liked the pattern SO much that I also got some in the black/white/grey colorway. Just in case the pink was TOO MUCH pink, ya know?! Not sure yet what I'll make, but I got enough fabric so I have options.

Good question! And love the pirate-ish fabric...did you get some?
Lisa
No, didn't get any. I don't have sewing experience so I'd want to get a little bit of practice in with easy patterns and cheaper scraps before tackling an actual project. I've heard its good to sew yourself a pair of pajama pants first to get a feel for sewing and especially before moving on to small clothes. Unfortunately, I'm not quite ready for it.

Also I really love pinup fashion, like the high waisted designs, so now I just picture Operetta in them haha

Offline rianif

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:36:52 AM »
I always thought Iron Fist's prints were perfect for MH dolls due to their skull-theme. Unfortunately they were so expensive that I couldn't justify buying any just to make them into doll clothes.  ^^;

Also, I just have to mention Irregular Choice shoes. They made wonderful quirky shoes with different themes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:49:11 AM by rianif »

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 05:06:26 AM »
The pj as your first sewing project is a good idea. At some point you just have too take the plunge and try. Do you know anyone that sews?  They might be able to help. And you tube has some great tutorials. I am no expert and frequently have to redo or try another tactic. 

Often the staff at the fabric store can help you, if you explain what you want to sew. They can say if the fabric would be good for certain projects.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 05:48:02 AM »
And even if a print isn't teeny-tiny, it can still work! I bought some clothes from an etsy seller in a skulls & roses fabric, I wouldn't consider it 'doll scale' but it works for me, I love it. And when I recently saw the same fabric at JoAnn's,  I bought a yard so I could make MORE stuff.

Think how clothing designers play with scale and pattern all the time. Have fun!

If dollie or human jammies are too much, you can always make pillows and blankets for your Ghouls, or even capes/scarves! Straight lines!

Lisa

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »

Absolutely! :) All the time.
I love to find people clothes that can be turned into cute outfits for dolls.  A few years ago, I found a top for 25 cents in a thrift store whose print looked perfect for an outfit for Cleo.  Here's a scrap of fabric I cut from it.

After trying to decide what to make with it, I came up with this.

Other times, if I see a fabric print I like, but is too large, I will attempt to scan it (not an easy job!), resize, and then print on printable fabric.  My only gripes are the scanning process is difficult and I wish I could find a lighter weight of printable fabric.  But still, if I really want it, I'll do it.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:20:34 AM »
I'm always thinking of fabric or making human clothes in doll versions. I really admired a lot of Japanese fabrics. The prints are so cutesy!! And I think it's easier to find small prints. Another good source for small prints is used kids/baby clothes. I have such a huge stash of fabric though, I try to not buy anything new.

Offline DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • RequiemArt.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 07:30:09 AM »
Hmm, you know I sew for dolls constantly and myself... never.  I will repair things and take in jeans but that's about it ^^; 

If you get a quarter yard of cloth, you can make a ton of doll clothes out of it (and 0 people clothes) so don't think you have to practice with big clothes first!  You screw up on doll clothes, eh, waste a few scraps, still have lots left for a redo.  It's much faster to hand-stitch doll clothes than people clothes too, so you don't need a machine. 

Just have to remember that the qualities of the cloth dictate what you can do with it.  You can't wear a T-shirt made out of satin.  Doesn't work.  Stretchy knit stuff makes great body-hugging cocktail dresses, t-shirts, hoodies, raglans, and PJs.  non-stretchy stuff like satins and taffeta make good dresses, skirts, and blouses. 
Check out my Etsy Shop for custom dolls and doll clothes patterns!

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »

I love to find people clothes that can be turned into cute outfits for dolls.  A few years ago, I found a top for 25 cents in a thrift store whose print looked perfect for an outfit for Cleo.  Here's a scrap of fabric I cut from it.

Other times, if I see a fabric print I like, but is too large, I will attempt to scan it (not an easy job!), resize, and then print on printable fabric.  My only gripes are the scanning process is difficult and I wish I could find a lighter weight of printable fabric.  But still, if I really want it, I'll do it.

Awesome Cleo dress! Is that a knit? Did you use any fasteners or just a slide-on tube?

What type of printable fabric are you using, and where'd you get it?

I, also, have a large-ish fabric stash, some is yardage, some thrifted clothing. Just waiting for me to turn it into dollie stuff.

Thanks!!
Lisa

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »

Awesome Cleo dress! Is that a knit? Did you use any fasteners or just a slide-on tube?

What type of printable fabric are you using, and where'd you get it?

I, also, have a large-ish fabric stash, some is yardage, some thrifted clothing. Just waiting for me to turn it into dollie stuff.

Thanks!!
Lisa
Thanx Lisa!  It's a stretchy knit fabric.  I just basically sewed it as a slide-on tube dress, but did not sew it up "straight", since I thought it'd look prettier if it had some "give" towards the bottom.

ATM I have used colorfast printable fabric sheets I got at Jo-Ann.  I chose colorfast because the colors wouldn't be as likely to run and bleed, altho I learned the hard way not to apply fabric softener to it.  It will distort the color and make it look gray-ish.
Here's a dress I sewed up for Toralei using printable fabric, and a cute print I found online.  This was before I applied fabric softener to it.  The fabric is neither soft nor stretchy. :(   I attempted to leave room for her tail.

If you or anyone else knows if they make lightweight colorfast printable fabric sheets please let me know!

I have a large bin filled with fabric (mostly fat quarters), Barbie clothes to alter, thrift store clothes, and assorted trims.  It's overflowing, and I don't want to start another container because the thought that I've already filled one alone with stuff for doll clothes making is bad enough! LOL
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 02:57:58 PM »
A little off topic now, but Joann is having their friends and family now apparently, so now might be a good time to experiment and grab a couple of those precut 1/4yd squares o:

The pj as your first sewing project is a good idea. At some point you just have too take the plunge and try. Do you know anyone that sews?  They might be able to help. And you tube has some great tutorials. I am no expert and frequently have to redo or try another tactic. 

Often the staff at the fabric store can help you, if you explain what you want to sew. They can say if the fabric would be good for certain projects.
Only people I know who sew are too far away to help, so I've been relying on youtube. They make it look easy so I'm hopeful I won't struggle too much!

How cute is that dress? It's like colorful wraps, I love it!
The Toralei dress is really cute too, but that's a shame that it isn't a soft fabric. Keep us updated if you find a lightweight printable fabric!
I do like the idea of printing patterns, as rianif mentioned Iron Fist is great (I have quite a bit of their clothes myself), scaling them down to MH size would look perfect! For example
Draculaura? Spectra? Two for Skelita. And that's just dresses!
Moanica shirt? Well, not a pattern but still

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 07:38:09 PM »
This thread has inspired me to think about fabric choices in a slightly different way, maybe, or at least has my eye 'looking' for fabrics suitable for 'characters' - so when I was at the thrift store on Sunday, and spied this (unworn with tags!) swimsuit top, I thought 'Frankie!' because of the 'stitches' in the fabric design, and the bright, clear colors. So I got it! (and paid more than Wuvmykitties's 25 cents bargain!) There's a lot of fabric, as it's the kind of 'skirted bodice' top that covers one's whole top and midriff, PLUS there are tie straps! Leggings!

The more I look at it, I feel it might also be good fabric for Skelita, as well as Frankie! (color is more vibrant IRL than in the pic)

So thanks, Simply for starting the thread, and Wuvmykitties for posting your inspirational Cleo dress and fabric pics!
Lisa

Fabric from a thrifted swimsuit top (skirted bodice type, unworn with tags!) - for Frankie and maybe Skelita too! by Lisa, on Flickr

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
Really pretty! I think of Jinafire a little when I see it, what a versatile choice!
I grabbed a few fat quarters at Walmart today, they have a pretty good selection of really small prints! I grabbed a red with black dots fabric that reminded me of Operetta, mostly because I own these pants and they go well with her rockabilly style!

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »
Haha! At a completely different Goodwill, several weeks later, I found another swimsuit top in a fabric that was the same type/pattern but mainly green! HAD to get it to experiment with mix/match. Too funny.

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
I see fabric that makes me think of dolls all the time! I don't usually redress my dolls, (I know, I'm boring :P ) but I make doll beds, so I'm always on the hunt for the perfect fabrics!

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 09:25:07 PM »
respositob, I bought a big scarf at Goodwill yesterday to use for a Lagoona bed/room eventually...reminded me of seaweed and beachy stuff. Also bought a woven straw makeup bag to use for her headboard!

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
respositob, I bought a big scarf at Goodwill yesterday to use for a Lagoona bed/room eventually...reminded me of seaweed and beachy stuff. Also bought a woven straw makeup bag to use for her headboard!

Yay! I think it's so much fun making doll beds! I hope you'll enjoy it too. :biggrin: