collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

July 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: How do you guys name your dolls?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
How do you guys name your dolls?
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »
I'm curious how people pick names for either dolls they rename or customize, or maybe even things like random dolls or plushies that don't come with names!

I always have to ho-hum about names for a day or two until I narrow it down to a few I like, and then have to think about what sounds and syllables and things suit them, narrow it down more, until I have about two names and just stare at the doll/plushie/whatever for a bit repeating both names in my head over and over until I decide which one sounds most fitting for who I'm looking at.
Sometimes too, I'll borrow last names from history, mythology or band members, and think of a first name I like to go with it. (Not so much band members anymore, but I used to a lot. Now I'm far more into history and mythology than I am members of bands I like.) Also, puns, lol. But that's mostly for monster creatures, like if I were ever to do a MH custom, it would be 100% a pun name to fit the theme, and because I think the monster-pun thing is cool.

How do you do it?
Also Esbayne on the MLP Arena, PonyIsland, and pretty much everywhere else.

:kitty:

Offline Flutterswirl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creeperific
  • Gallifrey Falls No More
    • View Profile
Re: How do you guys name your dolls?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:01:30 PM »
Sometimes I have to kick things around for a few days, sometimes a name pops immediately into my mind when I take the doll out of the package. I was several days deciding that my Party Glam Fashionista was Asia, but the MtM Skateboarder was immediately Marisol. I haven't renamed my custom centaur yet, so she's definitely in the first category....
just visiting this planet!
(Phl. 3:20)
>^..^<

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:05:34 PM »
I typically spend a lot of time mulling over names in my mind.  I've used thesarus.com to give me some ideas, as well as this site:
http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/namegen/16196#.WLofJn9Du1t

I like older names, and sometimes I just give them a regular last name instead of a "punny" one.  Baby name sites can be helpful too.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline 8BrickMario

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »
I go with the style if I'm following canon, and if not, use name meaning resources and try to include some form of wordplay. Realistic names are only used if they have the right sound for the character.

For example, my Feisty/Love Inner Monster is Valentina Lovett, due to the obvious theming and Sweeney Todd reference, and my Mummy CAM is Linnet Giza- her first name sounds like "linen" and doubles as a reference to Death on the Nile!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:58:33 PM by 8BrickMario »
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:16:25 PM »
For MH and EAH, I first think words that have something to do with the creature in question and then search for names that can be made into a pun(the badder the pun, the better) but sometimes that goes out of the window and a name pops in my head, so I have to find a last name for a pun.
For descendants, I just find a name that sort of relates to the name of the parent.
Otherwise, most of my dolls keep their original names

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 08:48:32 PM »
For MH and EAH, I first think words that have something to do with the creature in question and then search for names that can be made into a pun(the badder the pun, the better) but sometimes that goes out of the window and a name pops in my head, so I have to find a last name for a pun.

This is similar to what I do when naming my dolls.

For Gellian Montagoo, my custom Gooliope, I looked at a bunch of different first names and surnames and tried to make goo/slime/gel-related puns out of them.

For my dark elf Aubrey Darkborne, I researched names with elf in their etymology and meaning.  (Aubrey means "elf ruler" or "leader of elves".)

For my human characters, whose names aren't supposed to be puns or references, I just mull over names in my mind until one of them "clicks" with the character.

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 09:39:21 PM »
All the dolls I customized were fakies from a line called "Gothic Girl" so I mainly used names from this website. It's got a very good collection of Goth names.
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 10:15:11 PM »
For MH and EAH, I first think words that have something to do with the creature in question and then search for names that can be made into a pun(the badder the pun, the better).

That's exactly what I do.  I think all of my Create-a-Monsters have puns in their names.  That's honestly my favorite part of the CaMs.

Offline Refuse to Dance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Isolt
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »
 Most of my customs have kind of punny names or names from the languages of the monster's origin. Morel Mythiril, my Dark Elf custom was given a name meaning darkness,gloom, night in Elvish and Mythiril was after a dearly departed friend's Elf fairy princess character. Lux and Nyx are Latin for light and night and those are for my Werecat sister customs out of a Catrine and Catty respectively. Morgance is supposed to be the daughter of Miss Constance Hardbroom from The Worst Witch. My custom Sirena is Asurey, named after Asurey Antoweif from A Kiss to My Prince Korean anime (kind of a play on Azure), Adabella Felina is named thus for my Werecat CaM custom, Nephthys is my Mummy CaM, Isolt Lumi Fryst my ICe Ghoul is named thus because Isolt not only means Fair Lady in Celtic, but it means Ruler of Ice in Welsh, Lumi is Finnish for Snow and Fryst is Swedish for Frost. Ilona Gominola is my Blob Cam, called thus as I made her a pink Gummy girl and I wanted something matchy matchy, Sophiane is another custom Catrine, meant to be my Caterine's sister (Caterine sounds actually French),Thaddeus Dracule is my Vamp boy, Midoriko Rei is my faceless Kiyomi with redone lips, Circe Minthe Gorgon (Gorgon CaM), my daughter of Euryale, was named after the Greek Witch Circe, and Minthe was after the Naiaid who tried to seduce Hades and was turned into a mint plant by a vengeful and jealous Queen Persephone. Miette is my sig Rochelle with lipstick wiped off, Mignonette was named after Mia Thermopolis, and is her twin sister also with wiped off lips, Elo´ne is my GNO Rochelle, the youngest of the Goyle sisters. Custom Clawdeens are Serigala means wolf, Conwenna I forget what the meaning was, my CaM wolf is CÚline Lunestia both meaning moon,, Triveni is Indian/Hindu for  Confluence of three rivers, Ruin Embeth Smolders is my Dragon CaM, Mairin means Sea star and is one of my CaM sea monsters, the other is Dione (named after a Titan and Consort of Zeus), Lolita Yelps is one of my Ghoulia's, Mio Katonaka Madoka is the deceased Queen of the Japanese Empire and Spectra is her daughter under a pseudonym, her real name is Princess Isabella Mio Uruwashi Madoka, her cousin Illyria Yokai, Sylari means Silver fairy, Kore is named after Persephone the goddess and both are related to Purrsephone and Meowlody whom I renamed Hecate after another Greek Goddess, Smet Rotooze Skatten was named after the clothing line Smet, Rotooze is after the character from WoW and her sister is Noz. Both are repainted green witches turned Goblins, Roch LeGravier is my Gargoyle boy aka Garboyle a term penned by dear kamakazee83, Ivy Rose is a custom Venus, Nixie is a custom Abbey named after a water nymph, Onyx is another custom Catty and Kiore K÷nig means "mouse King", Kesare Swiftwing is my harpy. Last but not least is Curiosity Killiana von Schr÷dinger, my Skelekitty custom name after catwater's Curiosity Cat as she gave many of us the inspiration to make our own Skelekitty army. One day I want to make Curiosity's sister Morticia XD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:39:16 PM by Refuse to Dance »
My Ghouls: Princess Isabella, Queen Mio, Mairin, Dione, CÚline, Ruin, Adabella, Smet, Lala, Morgance, Frankie, Caterine, Sophiane,Thaddeus, Clawd, Deuce, Roch,Abbey, Nixie, Cupid, Skelita,Serigala, Clawdeen, Lagoona, Miette, Mignonette, Elo´ne, Operetta, Robecca, Conwenna, Venus,Ghoulia, Lolita,Nephthys, Circe, Isolt, Ilona, Persephone, Hecate, Kesare, Triveni and more

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »
Haha, Refuse to Dance, I love that your Skelekitty's last name is Schr÷dinger.

I also like to look at name meaning sites and mythological references. Sometimes a doll's vibe will suggest a certain country or region to me, and I go from there. And sometimes names just come to me...I have the 2 original 28" ghouls, the purple one is Jezebel and the green one is Vixen.
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 12:12:50 AM »
The only dolls I've named are my Pullip customs, and for my first two, their names just clicked when I saw them all put together. My third was named by my mum... but now I'm having the worst time trying to name the two that came in the mail yesterday, and the one I finished a faceup on today. Nothing has jumped out at me for any of them, and it's been kind of frustrating. :huh:

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 04:10:57 AM »
Great topic!

I love coming up with names, it's so much fun. I basically do everything others described. I like taking inspirations from various mythologies, historical figures, elegant-sounding languages, stars, flowers, colors...

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 11:34:26 AM »
For most of my CaMs it's been a combination of research and puns. For example:

With my Gorgon CaM, I looked at a list of different types of snakes to see if any of them sounded like girl names. I didn't like any of them as is, but I thought Cobra + Brandi made a cute name, Cobrandi. I did the same for my Skeleton CaM, I named her Tibia after looking at a list of bones.

My Ice CaM's name just kind of came to me. I had glued her wig on and was playing with her hair a bit and it reminded me of Bridgitte Bardot. I thought I would put a cold twist on it so I named her Fridgitte (as in "frigid") Fargot (partially for the alliteration but also because Fargo, ND is a cold place!)

My Mummy CaM, I named her after a character from Elton John and Tim Rice's Aida. I always thought it was funny that Sherie RenÚ Scott played Amneris with strawberry blonde hair (she's supposed to be an Egyptian Pharaoh's daughter) so when I put a red wig on her and loved it, I was like "Well clearly she has to be called Amneris."

Offline Refuse to Dance

• MIB Signature Toralei
  • Isolt
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 12:03:07 PM »
Haha, Refuse to Dance, I love that your Skelekitty's last name is Schr÷dinger.

I also like to look at name meaning sites and mythological references. Sometimes a doll's vibe will suggest a certain country or region to me, and I go from there. And sometimes names just come to me...I have the 2 original 28" ghouls, the purple one is Jezebel and the green one is Vixen.
Lisa

Firecracker named his Skelekitty after mine as Curiosity Schr÷dinger. We made them cousins. And since there can be many versions of dolls because of different doll lines, well there you go. They are the relatives of Schr÷dinger's Cat, my Curiosity and Morticia being the daughters of Schr÷dinger's Cat, you can guess what happened to them. XD
My Ghouls: Princess Isabella, Queen Mio, Mairin, Dione, CÚline, Ruin, Adabella, Smet, Lala, Morgance, Frankie, Caterine, Sophiane,Thaddeus, Clawd, Deuce, Roch,Abbey, Nixie, Cupid, Skelita,Serigala, Clawdeen, Lagoona, Miette, Mignonette, Elo´ne, Operetta, Robecca, Conwenna, Venus,Ghoulia, Lolita,Nephthys, Circe, Isolt, Ilona, Persephone, Hecate, Kesare, Triveni and more

Offline Rhana

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Rescuer of Toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
I use a mix of parental origin and personality for my customs and CAM. :)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
I don't generally rename my MH dolls because the original characters are so deeply embedded in their moulds for me, but. I'm trying to come up with names for the Lagoonafire, Iris, and other customs I'm working on right now, with little success. I'm thinking Iris might become Eileen or Aisla, or maybe just Rose.

I'm working up the nerve to buy a BJD from Fairyland, and I've made all these charts with themes for the dolls I'm considering. What style they'd wear, hair colours, eye colours, etc. and the end result was that I now have a plan for three different girls I'd like to eventually kit out, all named after flowers that suit their fashion styles.

Similarly, my Hujoo Freya is named Maia, because I wanted her to have a starry theme. She's named after one of the Pleiades, and for a while I considered naming her Subaru (the Japanese name for that constellation).

The other Freya that I have in the mail will be Electra when she arrives (because she glows in the dark, hah), and the tiny Island Doll kitten I ordered will be Merope (the youngest of the Pleiades).

When I was considering naming them, I also thought of naming them after the Hesperides, but decided that their names weren't quite right.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:11:41 PM by Lhianneth »

Offline Claire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Mess with gecko, you get a pecko
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »
I haven't named all my MH or EAH, simply because they're ingrained in my brain as the characters they already are, and there's just SO MANY in my collection, lol. I do however have names for ALL of my Pullips, sometimes I'd come out with the names on my own, and sometimes I'll ask my sister for suggestions. Once my sister and our cousin were hanging out in me and my sister's shared room and they came up with alternative names for all the Pullips, and it was kinda hilarious. They named one 'Chow Mein'. XD Most of the time, though, it'll be a nice name that sorta pops into my head when I look at the doll, and I think it suits them, and it sticks.

For some reason, it hasn't been as easy for me to name my Ellowyne Wildes as it has been for my Pullips. Some of them have names, but I still have to name the rest.

Offline ghoulbunny

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
  • -Monster High pun of an expression here-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 10:58:10 PM »
I never rename my MH dolls or anything, but I've always planned names for any bjd dolls. I just think of them as characters :P
Whenever I name them, I try to give them a name with a meaning that may or may not be related to their personality. Usually it is, or it's the opposite of who they are. I try to avoid common names, but if I feel like it, I'll name em something common. Sometimes, I'll go for a name I don't see often, and for some reason, I really like giving my characters Scandinavian and Russian names :P
I want a Fairyland Minifee Chloe qoq I've always thought of naming her Vasilisa. It's the name of a girl from a fairytale, and it's also the name of the main character Moroi in Vampire Academy which I secretly enjoy haha :P
wee woo

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
Baby name sites and from work. I work at a vet so I see lots of interesting pet and owner names. I also have a BJD named after my great grandmother for sentimental reasons.

Offline Scarlett

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 12:43:45 AM »
All my EAH have the names they were given originally - I havne't looked at any of them & thought that they shold be called something else.

With the Pullips, most of mine don't have bestowed-by-company names that i 1/ think of as "real" names, or 2/ like very much anyway  :biggrin:
so they sit on the shelf or table un-named until I have a chance to play with them a bit, and then they "tell" me their names.  I did try to name one before getting her (I had planned on calling her Quinn as I like that as a name), but she arrived, and she really wasn't a Quinn at all.
Oddly, all my girls are named something old (Charlotte/Lottie, Amelia, Evie, Kit & Becky), as I like those names.

with my bears, they all have names - some bestowed-by-company, others that I name them.  I'm not sure what my criteria for naming is, they just come to me when I look at the bear.  There's one bear who was renamed from bestowed to mine, as I took one look at her, and decided she was a Russian Duchess called Sofie.  Her bestowed name was Maria I think, but she completely wasn't a Maria!