collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 12
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

December 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[8] 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: How do you guys name your dolls?  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Claire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Mess with gecko, you get a pecko
    • View Profile
Re: How do you guys name your dolls?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 06:13:17 AM »
I forgot to mention that I mostly rename my Pullips because their given names are often ridiculous and/or unpronounceable XD Only two still have their given names, my Pullip Scarlet and my Dal Natalie.

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »
I always keep my MH's names the same, they're too specific characters for me to rename XD But I do name my CAMs, and aaaa it always takes me so long to settle on a name! I usually try and come up with something relating to their species, not necessarily a pun, but something relevent. I.e. my Bee CAM is Florea Honeytrap, my 3-eyed girl is Hitomi Sanna ("Hitomi" means "eye" in Japanese), my wolves (silver CAM + colour-me-creepy pink wolf girl) are Luna and Selene Aconite (Aconite being another name for Wolfsbane).. etc etc. But some of them just have names I liked - my CAM catgirl is called Nona Catmint, because she reminded me of the song "Girl All The Bad Guys Want" :P.

I'm pretty indecisive with names though, it takes me forever to come up with them. I still haven't come up with surnames for some of my CAMs, and it took me yeaaaars to name Florea.. speaking of, I've had my Petworks Hitszie doll for a year now and I'm still trying to name her, too ^^;

I collect names though, anything interesting, I tend to remember it and use it somehow, even if it takes me years to use it - that's how I name most of my characters. I think the only other toys I rename are some Sylvanians, some of their given names just don't suit them, or they're a "repeat name" (I mean, I know lots of people irl have the same name, but I prefer my Sylvanians to have different ones :p). With them I just go with names that I like, or if their family has some kind of theme to their names I usually try and go with that.

Offline PJSparkles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scary Cute
  • Notorious Necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 08:10:38 PM »
For any character dolls like Disney or Monster High/EAH dolls, I usually call them their original name. I've done that with dolls since I was a child--it just felt weird for me to change their names if they have them already! I have an american girl doll in storage that I named "A.G." back when I was about 8 (A.G.....american girl. I was sooo creative :P)

I do name "nameless" dolls like barbie fashionistas or CAMs/doll hybrids, though. I named my witch CAM "Blair" and my Novi Star/MH hybrid "Ophelia". :P It depends on how i'm feeling at that moment, but I usually take ages to come up with something until it just pops into my head.

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 10:16:18 AM »
Sometimes a name just pops into my head and sometimes I dig out the baby name books. For example, the names Maris and Cyndel for my two Inner Monster CAMs kind of just happened. I was looking at them and it suddenly hit me. Other names took a lot more consideration. For the werewolf CAM I had to come up with something punny, so I named her Furlicia. All of my Barbie Fashionistas and my City Shine collector Barbie were named using baby name books: Lauren, Kristine, Mei, Brielle, Latisha, Nina, Makayla, Regina, and Willa-Jean. 

Offline bewilderbeastie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • "Taako's good out here."
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr~
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 12:12:41 PM »
I generally keep my character dolls to their original names, but with my Barbies, they're all individuals who need names.

Sometimes I just Know what name they're going to have. Like my Tarja and Hermione I knew immediately. Others took more time. Sometimes I'll ask friends to come up with something after I show them the doll, like my friend gave me the name Martikah for one of them, which really suits her. I do have one girl that's currently nameless, but whenever I look at her my brain screams "SAMIRA!" so maybe I should listen to it :')
Looking for Scooter Ghoulia's boots, Dexter's glasses, any Gil Webber bits and pieces and Pokémon figures!

Offline AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
  • Needs More Cat
    • View Profile
    • The Cabaret Outside of Time and Space (aka my doll blog)
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
The majority of my dolls keep their names, but with CaMs and with doubles/dolls I plan to customize and such, it depends.

Sometimes I try to stick with the feel of the MH world and their naming conventions, drawing from their monster type, but sometimes I have a character in mind that I want to create when I do get to customizing, and they might not really fit the whole theme-naming, even if they fit the world. Corbin, my CaM vamp boy, doesn't have a vampire-y first name... and my custom Draculaura's new name, Cecilia, doesn't reflect her nature as a psychic. But my gargoyle boy is Pierre-Alain Desrochers, and all three of his names are rock-related, and the cats all have at least one cat-related name.
Love is all you need to destroy your enemies.

Offline Shahaila

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »
For the most part I actually keep the original character names, especially with EAH though I did rename my picnic Blondie Allison when I turned into the daughter of Alice in Wonderland  :P, and I call my Sig. Cedar Willow because originally she was a duplicate and she was my Cedar to "play with" but I ended up giving my original signature away and kept Willow because she was given to me by a friend that has since passed away.

For my MH dolls, I renamed my two dolls that participated in the ANTM competitions, well I renamed one (NS Jinafire) Jia Shen Long, and it was related to dragon lore and Chinese culture, it means Beautiful Spirit Dragon.   I gave my signature Gigi the stage name Ahnkara for her modeling career because it just sounded exotic and from the Middle Eastern part of the world which I associate her with being a genie.  Not sure why but that is just how I see her.  I do not know where the name came from, it just came to me and I loved the sound.  My Calaveras Clan on the other hand has mainly been inspired by Skelita herself:  I call my sig. Skelita Skeli which is just a nickname.  AC Skelita is Mari for Marigold (Skeli's favorite flower & color).  ILA Skelita is named Lucha (nickname for the name Lucia) and inspired by her Luchador accessories which I love.  Scarnival Skelita is Mona (short for Monarca - again inspired by the Monarch butterfly, which is a Mariposa Monarca in Spanish).  Collector Skelita is Katrina inspired by the name carved in the back of signature Skelita's head.  My custom Skelita made by Glowa is Valentina, the name just came to me when I saw her and just fits her so well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:42:16 PM by Shahaila »
"I have no particular talent,
I am passionately inquisitive" Albert Einstein

Offline AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
  • Needs More Cat
    • View Profile
    • The Cabaret Outside of Time and Space (aka my doll blog)
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
For my CaMs, I definitely look for the monster pun name first. The dolls I have slated for customization are all based on characters of mine who have names, which don't necessarily fit into the monster world's punny name conventions.

My Vamp boy has the least punny name of the CaMs, because he became the main character of a serious story for me that's totally unrelated to the MH universe, he's Corbin Sanger, and the only vampire connection was that, in-story, I'd had 'Sanger' as the Americanized and corrupted version of 'Exsanguer' that had been changed over the centuries.

My CaM cats are Felicity Purrkins and Leon Painter (using a regional term for mountain lions), my witch girl is Vasilisa B. Yaga, and my gargoyle boy is Pierre Alain Desrochers.

But when it comes to customizing them, they aren't meant to fit in with all the regular MH dolls, so they don't really need to fit in name-wise.
Love is all you need to destroy your enemies.