collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

September 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: New to Monster High Arena  (Read 411 times)

Offline WasabiMoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Recently Deceased
    • View Profile
New to Monster High Arena
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »
Hello, my name is Tracy and I am new to the Monster High Arena! :)

I am 39 years old and live in the U.S. within the sunny state of California.

I studied Art History and Anthropology. I work as a  independent contractor in the arts and crafts industry, often doing product design and development, tutorials, production samples and trade show demonstrations. I work from home as I am also a caretaker for my elderly mother.

I have been collecting dolls since I was very young, from modern, vintage and in some rare cases ancient dolls. Dolls, figures and sculptures have always held my interest. A weird fun fact I was one of the youngest children to do toy testing for Mattel, in the 1980s, when their headquarters was located in Hawthorne, California. I often complained to the testing staff Barbie needed dinosaur companions, she should have "real" cars and that blonde hair was boring. I gather I wasn't the most helpful of test children. :P 

As for the important people in my life, my mother, who got me into doll collecting and art long ago, my husband and my friends who tolerate my eccentric pastimes.

I started with Barbie and then I fell in love with My Little Pony, the first release in the 1980s (Butterscotch was my first pony!). From then on it was Jem and the Holograms, Disney dolls (first Mattel releases), Sylvanian Family, Japanese imports dolls such as Jenny and Sailor Moon and so many more. I burned myself out of collecting and sold a portion of them.

I was in a car accident which left me with limited mobility, along with other medical complications. As a cheer up my mother bought me the first issue Cleo de Nile and Deuce Gorgon two pack, since she knew of my love of horror movies, reptiles and mythology. I fell in love with the series and even though I promised myself not to repeat my past doll collecting habits, the children of monster movie greats held too much allure!

Cleo, Clawdeen, Ghoulia, the CAMs and any reptile related Monster High dolls are my favorites. That being said if I find a large box of random Monster High dolls and parts at a thrift store I am bound to pick them up for custom bait or to add to my collection. I have both unboxed and boxed dolls, it depends on my mood.

I am looking to fill in the gaps in my collection, find new homes for my extras, share ideas/customs, learn new info and ideas, and just have fun chatting with others who share a similar interest.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:58:09 PM by WasabiMoon »

Offline Evilunicorn

• MIB Signature Jackson
  • Swiggity Swooty
    • View Profile
    • DA
Re: New to Monster High Arena
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »
Welcome to the family! (I love that younger you wanted Barbie to have dinosaur friends, that would be awesome!) Sounds like an interesting job you have! I'm interested in seeing any customs you make as I love seeing other peoples ideas come to life. I might as well ask what your opinion of the reboot is (like it? love it? Dislike? Indifferent?)

Offline WasabiMoon

• Recently Deceased
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »
I will be hopefully posting pictures soon of my first MH customs. My other customs were mostly other Mattel dolls I wanted to try getting the hang of working on. Though I don't know if that is still seen as being MH related to post even if I did turn them into monsters. :)

My perspective on the reboot is a complicated one. From personally dealing with companies and understanding costs, changing trends and manufacturing difficulties I find myself somewhat torn on the whys, hows and implement of how Mattel did it.

The reboot movie in particular had a rather noticeable Hotel Transylvania meets the original MH teen books quality, and not in a good way. It had potential but missed a lot of the original charm, humor and bite of the online cartoon shorts and movies. I might seem a bit hyper critical of the animation that is because I have family and friends who used to and currently work in the animation industry. Mattel is cutting corners and not bringing in good script writers, that is noticeable.

As for the reboot dolls I am not a fan of the new faces, though I do love Moanica D'Kay's smirky head sculpt. The reboot full articulated bodies I think were a wise move from the prospective of Mattel as a manufacturer. The full articulated bodies are sturdier (less complaints from parents about broken/lost arms, hands and legs), thicker (easier to find clothing that fits) and the details of wrappings, hair and scales are nice additions. The male reboot dolls, such as Clawd, seems more fitting for the character, though Deuce comes across as generic, I still bought one to try customizing. As for the ones lacking articulation they remind me of the very limited body style of classic Barbie and Ken, which I find unappealing and will not buy or collect. The ToyFair samples of the Draculaura and Dracula playset lacking articulation was disappointing.

There was a rather distinctive spark and flare to the original line that the reboot has not captured. While I am not sure if has anything to do with some of the original designers no longer in the MH division, the ripple affect from Mattel losing the Disney merchandise licensing (and the resulting reassessment of their other toy lines) or the weird caving to those that complained about the ghoulish nature of the dolls, either way I am finding something lacking. That being said I am not giving up on MH, I am hoping they bring back more characters, add in some new elements and stop recycling the old playset molds. The original idea and positive affirmation of embracing your freaky flaws I loved and I will continue to hold onto.  :biggrin:

That all being said I bought a Silva Timberwolf today because darn it she is too cute and we need more werewolves!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:31:49 PM by WasabiMoon »

Offline Sarkans

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:35:31 AM »
Welcome to the Arena, WasabiMoon. :) It is fun being here!

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 07:06:39 AM »
Love your name🙂.

"That all being said I bought a Silva Timberwolf today because darn it she is too cute and we need more werewolves!"

Silva is cute, I don't have her but have spent a lot time in a store holding her box and studying her.😬  And she rocks the crimped hair.

You have such an interesting back ground so look forward to seeing of all of your customs including then on MH

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time doll enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
Welcome to the Arena, Tracy!

Okay, that is too cool that you used to test dolls for Mattel!
And you have ancient dolls in your collection?!  I have to see them!

So glad that you've joined us! :hug:
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram