collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 10
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

August 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Anyone Else Love Blind Bags/Boxes?  (Read 6031 times)

Offline Crriya

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Anyone Else Love Blind Bags/Boxes?
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:45:06 AM »
Anyone else in love with any Blind Bags/Boxes such as Shopkins, Twozies, Num Noms, Animal Jam, etc? These types of toys are certainly taking over the toy market!

I'm completely addicted to Num Noms and dabble in Shopkins.  ^^; It's a rather expensive hobby and can be a let down but it's so exciting pulling something you need!

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Love Blind Bags/Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:37:26 AM »
Crriya, I have exactly one piece, lol. The Tsum Tsum Marie kitty with her awesome bed! I saw her at a doll club meeting and HAD to have her as a pet prop for my gang. Not to mention her Marie Antoinette vibe, heh heh.

My friend that had her gave me tips in 'feeling' the bags to figure out which one I was likely getting. I stood at the Target tsum display for at least 15-20 minutes...but I was successful. She's the only blind bag item I've bought thus far. Very happy with her.

If anyone else wants to feel their way to some Tsum Tsums, here's a blog post I found this morning that describes what you're looking for in terms of pieces and what they feel like:
http://tsumoverflow.tumblr.com/post/137099906178/tips-for-feelingguessing-the-blind-pack-tsum

Do you have any special display strategies for your collection?
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:59:53 AM »
I have a love/hate with them.  Yes, it's fun to pull something you want/need/can sell for a big profit, but I feel they're partially the reason for other toy decline as I've mentioned around here before.  They've taken over the toy aisle, kids follow the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality, and they're considered cheap, though as I'm sure many of you know, they add up big time.  Plus, it's got the "collect and trade" aspect that cards and such used to have.

Last time we were in Target, I was looking at dolls, but a little girl behind me kept saying "I want a blind bag, mama, I want a blind bag!"

My sister is in love with them.  The surprise, and the small size, they work to her advantage because her room is packed (we're really trying to go through things, honestly!)  And she has me feel and push around to see what is what, and I usually don't fail in that sense unless two feel a lot alike. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:37:22 AM »
I'm not a fan of them myself, but can't criticize the concept if it's done so well. With the exception of figure add-ons to larger toylines (like LEGO minifigures and Playmobil Fi?ures), I find the toys included in blind-packaged lines to be rather underwhelming, and when it comes to it, I really can't get behind the blind-packaged idea. Sure, some people like surprises, but when the odds are skewed toward "duplicate disappointment", I'd rather just feel the bags to determine what I have.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
I like the idea and some of the figurines but wow, some of these things are expensive. And you can't even guarantee which one you're getting? No thanks, I really hate the guessing aspect.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »
I love them! I started collecting blind bag/box minis back with the original Squinkies. Minis take up virtually no space, and you can display them very easily. This makes them pretty appealing when your shelves are full-to-bursting with dolls. XP

It's nice to see a fellow Num Noms addict! :D I collect Shopkins, Squinkies (G1 and G2), Twozies, Puppy in My Pocket, Ugglies Pet Shop (lol, they amuse me... XD), and whatever else catches my fancy. I don't have any Tsum Tsum figurines, but I do have a lot of the plush in various sizes. X3

As for display options, I've always wanted to try a tiered platform approach: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014PXHS98/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2OH7HZWOX8K07&coliid=I3VKMTXCRIWS8V&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OLH0TGI?psc=1
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:26:59 AM by Nemesis »

Offline Rhana

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Rescuer of Toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
We don't have that many different ones here - still waiting on the MH minis. And the local toy shop had stopped carrying the MLP ones.

But I buy the MLP ones sometimes - already have quite many of them. :)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »
I do have the blind bag bug as well. I've always been a fan of cute minature things tho I tend to prefer ones with codes since I'm usually just aiming to get certain ones. One thing I tend to do if possible is stick with bigger packs if they have them unless it's something like Num Noms or MH Minis where some only come in the mystery packs and others only come in the sets.

With Shopkins I definitely prefer the sets because you know what you are getting at least with the visible ones tho people sometimes post what the hidden ones are too while with the 2 packs there's no way at all to tell what you are getting. I make an exception for the special series that only come in 2 packs like the holiday themed ones.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
I love them because I love little figures, and love surprises. I can't even tell you how many I've opened in the last year. :lol:

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »
I've been a blindbag fan for as long as I can remember. I recall my mom would get so annoyed bringing me into the Sanrio store in the mall because I would always want to get blindbags (store-made, I think that was their way to sell unpopular and damaged merchandise and not take a total profit loss) but then my favorite character (Keroppi) was seldom on the merchandise in them so I'd be sad.  :haha:

I do like the surprise of getting things but it gets old too when you're trying to collect a full set of something... Like Funko Mystery Minis are so addictive, but also drive me bonkers. Some of my main blindbag persuits right now are: DC Lil' Bombshells, Funko Mystery minis (so many subseries: Harry Potter, DC, Disney), LEGO minifigures (which you can kiiiiinda guess with a combination of bump codes and feeling), and MH Minis (which are less mysterious since I cracked the code on them but still).

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »
For the most part, I like them. I buy a lot of them. I don't like the blind aspect of them, though. I don't like getting duplicates and sometimes I'll just want like a few of the blind bag toys or whatever from the set. But I will admit that it's pretty exciting when you open a blind bag and find a rare chase item. Still, if I can have codes to know which one I'm getting, I'm going with the codes.

Hello Kitty blind bags are my weakness. Whenever I see Hello Kitty figures in blind bags, I have to grab some. I also like Num Noms, though I think they're way overpriced for what they are. I also collect Shopkins, Twozies, MixieQs, MH Minis, Tsum Tsums, LOL Surprise, Lego Minifigs, Funko Minis and Puppy in my Pocket. I usually come out with at least two blind bags every time I go to Walmart. And when I go to Five Below, I always end up with tons. That's why I try to limit myself to one trip there every 3 months or so.

Offline Robina

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • It's Ninja Time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
I like some of them, hate others. I highly prefer being able to feel. My roommate (with small amount of help from me) has gotten both of us the Lego and Megablocks figures we've wanted from at least 8 series I can think of.

If I can't feel to tell what I'm getting, I tend to get far less of the items, usually stopping after two duplicates. They're still fun, but they get less of my money.

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
To be completely honest, MH Minis have been the first blind bags I have gotten in-store at retail price... and that was because they had the "option" to check which character you're getting. At the flea market I have also found Shopkins, Minecraft boxes, MLP boxes(Got a Discord and a Celestia)Disney LEGO(Got an Alice), Disney Keyring(got Stitch! :D ) and Walking Dead ones. I then checked the retail price and it *is* ridiculously expensive! Two or three boxes/bag and I could get one of the budget dolls!
MH is comparatively cheaper than that and if they ever got another batch(All my stores only got the second wave of series 1) I surely will buy more.

Offline Myrcury

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Official Candy Ghoul (says Dfotw!) <3
    • View Profile
    • Myrcury's Toybox
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 10:27:34 PM »
I love them! They're great for an inexpensive little bit of fun at the end of a boring shopping trip (usually to Wal-Mart for groceries lol) - I only really wanted a few of the MH Minis, just the ones that really caught my eye... but I do super love Animal Jams! They're such fun little designs! And they fit perfectly into the mini diorama world I just made recently so... addiction level rising!! haha. :)

My Sales *** My Trades *** My Wishlist

I'm a fabric hoarder! Need fabric for making doll clothes? PM me, maybe I can help! :)

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 11:39:05 PM »
I noticed the little colored doghouse boxes on a recent TRU visit...but I just said to myself 'nope, we're here for the MtM Barbie redhead!'

Wasn't til Myrcury commented on Animal Jams and dioramas (see?! my weakness!!) that I headed to google...and saw the same little colored doghouse boxes.

Animals! Wings! Cuteness! And they live in little roomboxes with FURNITURE?!

I'm sensing an Animal Jams purchase in my future.....
Lisa

Offline Myrcury

• Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • Myrcury's Toybox
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 01:46:50 AM »
I noticed the little colored doghouse boxes on a recent TRU visit...but I just said to myself 'nope, we're here for the MtM Barbie redhead!'

Wasn't til Myrcury commented on Animal Jams and dioramas (see?! my weakness!!) that I headed to google...and saw the same little colored doghouse boxes.

Animals! Wings! Cuteness! And they live in little roomboxes with FURNITURE?!

I'm sensing an Animal Jams purchase in my future.....
Lisa

Come to the dark side, we've got... tiny critters? Hahaha :)

I'm just gonna leave this right here....

Toys in Happyland take 2 by Steph S, on Flickr
(Spot the Animal Jams. There's 3 of em. ;) ) hehehe

I'm a fabric hoarder! Need fabric for making doll clothes? PM me, maybe I can help! :)

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 04:16:30 AM »
Green kitty, blue puppy, brown deerling?

Uh-oh, I feel a cuteness attack coming on....

Offline Myrcury

• Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • Myrcury's Toybox
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
You got it!! :D And - AND!! The little Reindeer is the one I got for CHRISTMAS!! lolol. I love me some Animal Jams. There's a great variety of animals you can get, as you can see. There's even a butterfly! It's tiiiiny. Hope I pull one, one day. XD

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »
My sister loves Animal Jams, but hasn't gotten any in a while.  She's been looking for Suprizamals, however you spell it, but we've never seen them at all.  Not that she needs more stuffed animals no matter how small.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
You got it!! :D And - AND!! The little Reindeer is the one I got for CHRISTMAS!! lolol. I love me some Animal Jams. There's a great variety of animals you can get, as you can see. There's even a butterfly! It's tiiiiny. Hope I pull one, one day. XD

And wouldn't you know, I went a-looking for the Animal Jams on my errand day today. Didn't find any at Target. And the EAH/MH section was very very sad.  :cry: But overall, many areas of the Target I went to looked very sparse, picked over, so maybe they're getting ready to do inventory or something.

Guess I'll have to rely on TRU.

Lisa