collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 115
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: A boy who plays with dolls video  (Read 750 times)

Offline desdisques

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
A boy who plays with dolls video
« on: February 12, 2017, 06:25:23 AM »
This video is kinda old so I'm sure some of you have seen it, but I watched it for the first time today. Really well made short film.

https://youtu.be/pmvAIEwB-6A

My personal experience.
As a kid I had a few friends with little brothers. I remember playing Barbies, MLP, Littlest Petshop etc with their brothers and it being normal. We were all just kids playing together, so no matter what toy we all joined in. I do remember a little bit of "Play with your brother!" coming from some moms.

When we played we acted out stories. We were very creative and had specific personalities for each toy. Barbie was way more than just a pink dress and high heels.

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
  • Leader off the Jigglypuff
    • View Profile
Re: A boy who plays with dolls video
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 06:57:47 AM »
As a four year old my cousins had the MLP Castle Playset that had the draw bridge and original Spike. I played with it because it was a toy. But then my sister and cousins basically took it away from me and made me stop playing with them because they were girls' toys. It's not like I was doing anything out of the ordinary. I was making up stories where the Ponies married each other (I didn't understand what that was or that the Ponies were all female) and I often made them sing songs on a stage like I saw on tv. I wasn't having tea parties with them and I still don't understand what the big deal was. I was just imitating everyday life as I saw it on tv. And then I was allowed to play with Ken dolls but not Barbies and I wanted a Barbie so I could have Ken be married and have a family. My sister said no and told me to pretend that another Ken was "Barbie" which is probably something you shouldn't tell a six year old to do. And she wondered why the Kens shared a bed and why I was constantly marrying them. It may sound cute but I think that disturbed my family more than if I had a Barbie. It was even more disturbing that I kept putting a small toy under the Ken's shirt to make him pregnant.
Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck inside a sewer.
Helga: Gee, I don't know. When you think about it, is there really any sewer bigger than the world of professional modeling?
~Oblongs

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
The video was so sad.  I couldn't tell if the boy dropped the doll on purpose or accidentally, like he was listening to what his Dad said or he just accidentally dropped it.

Despite the video being old it's still what goes on even today I'm sure.  It makes me sad mad (I got that from Home- :P )

I don't want kids but if I did I wouldn't tell them what they can and can't play with as long as they weren't doing anything that made me think they wanted to be a serial killer or something.

I'm sorry that happened to you Captain Jigglypuff.

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
  • Leader off the Jigglypuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
I'm good now. Yeah I sort of play with dolls but it's more about using the special features such as talking to Hello Barbie or changing their looks whether it's hairstyle or clothing. I use my Dreamhouse more of a display and put the dolls as if they were just living a regular life. It's quite relaxing for me. I'm not really doing anything particularly odd and I don't play out soap operas with my dolls either. I would love to make YouTube videos similar to Sam and Mickey and have a recurring theme where Derek from the Rockers is a homage to Matt Folley an lives in a pink Barbie camper down by thee river and steals a family because he is so lonely.
Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck inside a sewer.
Helga: Gee, I don't know. When you think about it, is there really any sewer bigger than the world of professional modeling?
~Oblongs

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »
I hate that they slap gender labels on toys. :/ Telling a boy he can't play with dolls is just as dumb as telling a girl she can't play with Hot Wheels... Which is to say... very, very, very dumb.

*sigh* I like to think that as the world becomes steadily more progressive in terms of gender, gender-identity, and not pigeon-holing people into the old-fashioned archetypes of what is "masculine" and what is "feminine", that this will change. The MLP "Guardians of Harmony" figures are, to me, a great sign that things are getting better... On the back of one box is a picture of two kids--a boy and a girl--both playing happily with their ponies. That made me smile.

Offline desdisques

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »
I hate that they slap gender labels on toys. :/ Telling a boy he can't play with dolls is just as dumb as telling a girl she can't play with Hot Wheels... Which is to say... very, very, very dumb.

*sigh* I like to think that as the world becomes steadily more progressive in terms of gender, gender-identity, and not pigeon-holing people into the old-fashioned archetypes of what is "masculine" and what is "feminine", that this will change. The MLP "Guardians of Harmony" figures are, to me, a great sign that things are getting better... On the back of one box is a picture of two kids--a boy and a girl--both playing happily with their ponies. That made me smile.

I do think things are changing and going in the right direct, but just not fast enough.