collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

April 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
[21] 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Author Topic: Help justkitter sell some stuff!  (Read 1829 times)

Offline justkitter

• Recovering Completionist
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
Help justkitter sell some stuff!
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:58:23 PM »
Hello all!

I'm completely new at selling (though not at buying, unfortunately *sigh*) and I have a ton of stupid questions:(

I'm trying to make this as simple as I can for myself, so to start I'll be limiting my sales to U.S. only.  Also I'll be using USPS.

So questions.....

Is a bubble mailer considered an envelope or a package? (See I told you they were stupid questions!)

Do most people just use plain old First Class Mail to ship? 

Does First Class Mail come with a free tracking number, or is that something I have to pay extra for?

How do you figure out your shipping quotes?  Do you use a scale, or do you have another method you use i.e. offering free shipping but charging a bit more, or charging a small shipping fee and eating the rest of the shipping cost yourself?

Am I thinking too hard about this?  Am I making this harder than it truly is?  I don't expect to make millions here, but I don't want to pay people to take my stuff off my hands either LOL  I really want to get this shipping stuff right!

Any and all comments will be helpful and appreciated!  Thanks everyone!

Offline Dosneko

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Clawsome
    • View Profile
Re: Help justkitter sell some stuff!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »
You're perfectly fine, I had the same questions when I started putting my stuff up.  :biggrin: And in answer to your questions:

Bubble mailers are packages.

First Class mail comes with a tracking number.

And I use a food scale to figure out how much something weighs. I plug that into the USPS's website along with the packages dimensions (if needed) to figure out how much something will cost to ship.  I've found that the site is really accurate.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-mail.htm

That might help you out!

Is a bubble mailer considered an envelope or a package? (See I told you they were stupid questions!)

That's a good question tbh. I think it's a package but i'm not sure.

Whatever's cheapest. I think that's first class but I haven't sold anything in ages.

How do you figure out your shipping quotes?  Do you use a scale, or do you have another method you use i.e. offering free shipping but charging a bit more, or charging a small shipping fee and eating the rest of the shipping cost yourself?

Guesswork really. I've eaten the shipping cost more than I care to admit, so it's like 4$ for a bundle of clothes in a bubble mailer, 5$ for a doll I think. Boxes cost me no less than about 7$ to ship.

You should get a post scale. So should I.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline justkitter

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »
Thanks, Dosneko!  Glad I'm not the only one who has struggled with shipping questions :biggrin:  I've struggled with the shipping quote calculator in the past, but I've been playing around with it tonight, and I seem to be doing better with it.....don't know what I was doing wrong before!  Oh well.

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-mail.htm

That might help you out!

That's a good question tbh. I think it's a package but i'm not sure.

Whatever's cheapest. I think that's first class but I haven't sold anything in ages.

Guesswork really. I've eaten the shipping cost more than I care to admit, so it's like 4$ for a bundle of clothes in a bubble mailer, 5$ for a doll I think. Boxes cost me no less than about 7$ to ship.

You should get a post scale. So should I.

I saw your thread about asking for post scale recommendations and I might just get one.  I think spending some money on it will only help my piece of mind.  The guesswork kinda freaks me out!

Good to know people don't mind me using the cheapest shipping method LOL

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
No problem! I've never seen anyone use or ask for a higher shipping method. I only did so once because I wanted a doll before I left on vacation for my own peace of mind. As long as it's packed properly, no one seems to care.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
Just a note- bubble mailers can be considered large envelopes if you're sending something thin and flat like papers. But for sending dolls, yes they're considered a package. I think the rest of your questions have been answered.

Also, a tip: round up to the next dollar on shipping. Packing materials aren't free and most people forget to factor in the cost of the shipping materials into the shipping cost.

Offline justkitter

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »
Thanks guys:)

I wouldn't have thought to round up shipping costs, but it's a very good idea.  I'm glad I started this thread.

Ugh!  I don't even know where to being!  I just keep looking around and wanting to cry.  It's just too much!

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
Ugh!  I don't even know where to being!  I just keep looking around and wanting to cry.  It's just too much!
That's how I feel about my MLP stuff. I have literally hundreds of ponies to sell... I've been wanting to sell them for several years and it's so daunting I get overwhelmed and do nothing. Good luck!!

Offline galaxy

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Sister Pack
  • Jason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
Hello all!

I'm completely new at selling (though not at buying, unfortunately *sigh*) and I have a ton of stupid questions:(

I'm trying to make this as simple as I can for myself, so to start I'll be limiting my sales to U.S. only.  Also I'll be using USPS.

So questions.....

Does First Class Mail come with a free tracking number, or is that something I have to pay extra for?

Am I thinking too hard about this?  Am I making this harder than it truly is?  I don't expect to make millions here, but I don't want to pay people to take my stuff off my hands either LOL  I really want to get this shipping stuff right!

Any and all comments will be helpful and appreciated!  Thanks everyone!

Is a bubble mailer considered an envelope or a package?
I think it depends on the size. If it's a large bubble mailer, I would consider it a package. If It's a small 4x7 bubble mailer, I consider it an envelope.

First Class shipping is for items 14oz and under. It usually takes 2-3 buisness days. If the package is over 15oz, then it has to go priority.

First Class has tracking included for free.

I personally do not charge shipping if I cannot calculate it correctly. I do use a scale (a food one, but it works) On Ebay, it's really easy to calculate shipping.  I'm not sure if you can use Ebay to calculate shipping for other items.

Am I thinking too hard about this?  Am I making this harder than it truly is?
You are. Lol its easy when your learn how to!

Offline justkitter

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »
That's how I feel about my MLP stuff. I have literally hundreds of ponies to sell... I've been wanting to sell them for several years and it's so daunting I get overwhelmed and do nothing. Good luck!!

Thanks for the sympathy.  And the luck:)

Is a bubble mailer considered an envelope or a package?
I think it depends on the size. If it's a large bubble mailer, I would consider it a package. If It's a small 4x7 bubble mailer, I consider it an envelope.

First Class shipping is for items 14oz and under. It usually takes 2-3 buisness days. If the package is over 15oz, then it has to go priority.

First Class has tracking included for free.

I personally do not charge shipping if I cannot calculate it correctly. I do use a scale (a food one, but it works) On Ebay, it's really easy to calculate shipping.  I'm not sure if you can use Ebay to calculate shipping for other items.

Am I thinking too hard about this?  Am I making this harder than it truly is?
You are. Lol its easy when your learn how to!

More good information!  Thanks.  I hope it's as easy as you say ;)

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »
Good questions!

Here's a few things I've learned from being on the buying end of selling....

* I'd rather receive a bubble-wrapped or tissue-wrapped doll in a mailer than a doll sent loose in a box. Believe it or not I've gotten both.

* I usually ask sellers to wrap a doll's face/head in either WHITE tissue paper or paper towels to prevent face paint loss/damage. I learned my lesson after my one & only Evangeline Ghastly worked her way loose from her box ribbons during shipping and got a rub on her cheek. Thankfully a magic eraser took it off but I also had to remove her cheek blush. I also had some damage when a bunch of MH dolls were smooshed together in a box, nothing separating them. So now I always request individual face wrapping.

* Be cautious when using ebay's postage calculator. Hubs recently listed a collectible Pearl Jam baseball hat, ebay said about $2.65 in shipping. SAY WHAAAAT?! And someone bought it at that postage...then when I went to ship it, First Class (no tracking or insurance) was about $9, and Priority (with tracking and $50 insurance) was maybe a buck more. So we covered the shipping and told the guy Merry Christmas.  lol

* First Class is not the same as Priority Mail. I always ask for tracking now. Had several problems that packages (including my 1 and only custom EAH!!! From England!!!) went missing and I'd have never discovered what happened without the tracking.

Good luck justkitter!
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline justkitter

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 10:43:04 AM »
I don't think I can do this!  It's just too much.

Has anyone used Ebay Valet?  I'm not hearing great things:(

I wish those eBay sell-it-for-you stores were still around.  I need someone to 40 Year Old Virgin me XD

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 03:14:11 PM »
Well, you could maybe do it in bigger lots not single items? Or maybe partner with an experienced seller and share proceeds?

Good luck! I know it seems complicated, that's why our church got some stuff from me for their rummage sale...just seemed like SO much to do to sell it myself.
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline justkitter

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »
Well, you could maybe do it in bigger lots not single items? Or maybe partner with an experienced seller and share proceeds?

Good luck! I know it seems complicated, that's why our church got some stuff from me for their rummage sale...just seemed like SO much to do to sell it myself.
Lisa

I've been scouring the internet trying to find a selling service that works!  Apparently they don't exist.  Everyone is doing it themselves, I guess.  Or no one is willing to all the work for half the profit LOL  That's probably the problem XD

Offline girlnamedlance

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Haunting the toy aisles
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »
Usually weights are posted on Amazon listings for things, so that can give you something to go by if you don't have a scale/have something that is too heavy for your scale/too light for the weigh-yourself-holding-the-thing-and-subtract method (or if that doesn't work for you for other reasons).

Take things slow with eBay if it feels like a lot. Take 3 or 4 things that you think will sell the fastest, take some good photos, look at some other listings for disclaimers and things other people mention about their items.

The convenience of Priority Flat-rate boxes cannot be oversold tbh. Though you end up spending more than metered unless you're shipping something especially heavy. There are also free not-flat-rate Priority boxes, including a size that will comfortably house a couple dolls (it's a bit bigger than the smallest Flat Rate box). My dad ships a lot of cards and likes to cut them up to reinforce his envelopes.

There's another category of mailing called Media Mail, which is only meant for books and tape media and things of that sort. The USPS site will have the whole list somewhere. Don't let people talk you into shipping at that rate for items not on that list because it is subject to inspection and it'll get returned and you're out of that money.

Thirdly, insurance protects you, not the buyer. If you're shipping something expensive/rare, insurance is a necessity. Others have said that Priority mailings include insurance up to $50, but after that you have to buy it if you want it. It's very cheap, only a few dollars for each $100, but if something goes missing and the buyer wants a refund, it's the insurance that makes sure you're not the one that gets screwed. Note, eBay does not require sellers to refund for lost packages, or to refund for anything at all if everything was as described in the listing. This is something you should build into your price, since eBay doesn't really make it easy to add in their shipping calculator.

Good luck!
Can I have your autograph? I'm collecting Signatures!

Offline justkitter

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
Wow!  Thanks, girlnamedlance!  That was very helpful and informative.  You posted in another thread about helping a member sell, and it's just as detailed.  I appreciate the help:)