collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
[19] 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Hi everyone! I'm so excited to join you!  (Read 690 times)

Offline monsteleon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
Hi everyone! I'm so excited to join you!
« on: February 06, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
Hi, I'm Michelle.  I live in central Florida and don't recommend it.   ^^;   It's February and I was sweating on my leisurely afternoon walk. 

I work in a community college library and teach humanities and art history courses.  And while I absolutely do love to read, I rarely have time to do so at work which is what everyone assumes I do all day.  I love to read about plant-based nutrition (long-time vegan here) and in the realm of fiction, I mostly read crime/detective/mystery novels, but I do enjoy the occasional historical novel.  Many of my favorites combine the two.

The most important people in my life are my family: husband, mother, sister & niece and all of my lovely kitties. 

I started collecting dolls over 20 years ago when I discovered Barbie Dolls of the World.  I love to travel and learn about different cultures, so I'm a sucker for anything with an international theme.  I saw the Nigeria Doll of the World in a discount store in the mid-nineties and fell in love.  I've been a fan of Barbie ever since.

I was late to Monster High collecting.  I remember seeing them in the stores shortly after they came out, and I thought they were interesting, but coming from the Barbie-verse, I thought their heads were enormous! Lol!  Eventually they sucked me in though.  First, I discovered the Toy Box Philosopher.  Her reviews of Monster High dolls are so thorough--I never realized how much detail Mattel put into the dolls. Then I went to Walmart and found Frights, Camera, Action Operetta for $7.  I bought her and have continued to amass a really ridiculous collection.  I love them though!  I just can't stop myself.  I ordered all of the new sports-themed and party ghouls line today from the Toys R Us sale.  And that's after going to a doll show this weekend.  I may have to file bankruptcy, but at least I'll have my dolls!

Anyway, thanks for welcoming me into the fold.  I've long enjoyed reading the forum and look forward to participating.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone! I'm so excited to join you!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
Hi! I'm new here too!  :biggrin:

I only started a few years ago (as an adult, returning to dolls)...Barbie was my entry drug too, lol.

The Toybox Philosopher is responsible for my small herd of articulated LIV ponies, lol. Her reviews are awesome, aren't they?!

Have you discovered the Fountain of Youth yet?  :sunny:
Nice to meet you!
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline monsteleon

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 04:39:34 PM »
Hi! I'm new here too!  :biggrin:

I only started a few years ago (as an adult, returning to dolls)...Barbie was my entry drug too, lol.

The Toybox Philosopher is responsible for my small herd of articulated LIV ponies, lol. Her reviews are awesome, aren't they?!

Have you discovered the Fountain of Youth yet?  :sunny:
Nice to meet you!
Lisa

Haha!  I wish I could discover the Fountain of Youth, then maybe I wouldn't be so tired!  ;)

I love the Toy Box Philosopher.  Her reviews make me want to collect things I would never in a million years consider.  So far I've managed to resist going too crazy though.  I picked up a LIV doll at a doll show last year for $5.  She was dressed, but her wig was wrecked.  Good thing her pixie cut is really cute.  I didn't know anything about LIV dolls before reading her blog.

Lately she's been posting a lot about baby dolls, which don't interest me at all, so I'm safe from her influence right now.  Several YouTubers are getting to me instead!  :freak:

Thanks for commenting!

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »
Lol...I thought your monsteleon name was a riff on Ponce de Leon...you being from Flawrida and all.....  :biggrin:

So did TBP come back after her hiatus? Sounded like she was taking time off to rethink the blog and how to make it revenue-generating....

Lisa

Offline monsteleon

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 04:58:54 PM »
Monsteleon is my (not-so?) clever combo of my last name and monster, but now that you point it out, I totally see how it would be a riff on Ponce de Leon.

TBP has been posting again.  Not as frequently and not much I'm really interested in collecting, but her reviews are still great!

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »
Haha, it works! Not sure I'd have made the Ponce de Leon connection if you were from, say, Nebraska...but FL mention got me!

I'll check out TBP, thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I'm safe from baby doll reviews!
Lisa

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:06:56 AM »
Welcome. It has been frigidly cold here in southern Saskatchewan. My poor wee dog goes out in the yard and I have to carry her back as her feet are too cold.

Oh I have read online blogs or saw a wicked you tube video( my froggy)and had to have what was being reviewed.

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »
(Edit - WHOOPS! Thought I was in my own Introduction thread! Sorry Michelle!)  :blush:

Snowblossum, sorry to hear about the frigid weather and your pup's feet! Have you checked out wee dog boots like Pugz? They also look good on some doll sizes, lol.
Lisa
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:35:01 AM by DogMom »

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
(Edit - WHOOPS! Thought I was in my own Introduction thread! Sorry Michelle!)  :blush:

Snowblossum, sorry to hear about the frigid weather and your pup's feet! Have you checked out wee dog boots like Pugz? They also look good on some doll sizes, lol.
Lisa
I have tried boots for my dogs. But they are dachshunds and well the have funny legs, sort of biggish feet and short legs and nothing really fits. And really it is just too cold for them to be out for more then a few minutes. Tonight with the wind chill it is -34 f or -37 C. Not fit to be out. So I was envying Michelle too hot Weather.

Offline ebmerc

• Champion of Love and Justice
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
Welcome to the Arena Michelle! We're happy to have you join us :) I wanna see your collection cause anyone who describes it as ridiculous means it's awesome! I think most of us have a huge collection XD

Offline monsteleon

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:08:15 AM »
I'd love to post some pics, but we're in the middle of renovations, so my collection is all over the place right now.  When I get it organized...(famous last words I know).  :blink:

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
I'd love to post some pics, but we're in the middle of renovations, so my collection is all over the place right now.  When I get it organized...(famous last words I know).  :blink:

Good luck with your reno!!
Lisa

Offline monsteleon

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
Thanks, Lisa!