collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
[19] 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Greetings! Glad to be among friends, please do say hi!  (Read 1120 times)

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Greetings! Glad to be among friends, please do say hi!
« on: February 05, 2017, 05:40:37 PM »
Hello! Lisa here, from Chicago. I live near Lake Michigan, with hubs (JR), dog (Bella), and many many many dollie friends.

I've been re-collecting as an adult for a couple years now. How did THAT start?!

Welllllll....

My sister wanted one of the first tattooed Barbies, but of course the dolls were completely sold out. So my mom picked up a thrift store Barbie, I did some tattoos with sharpie pens, gave her a cute haircut and made some clothes, and voila! Christmas prezzie! But that didn't give me the collecting bug. It wasn't until months later, I started finding Barbie stuff that people put out in the alley and toting it home for 'creative projects' - at some point I decided I needed a Barbie too! And the slippery slope started.

I now have Barbie, LIV, Bratz, Bratzillaz, Mary Kate & Ashley, Flavas Liam, assorted garage sale GI Joes, several porcelain dolls (also thrift store), an Ellowyne Wilde, an Evangeline Ghastly, and...MONSTER HIGH!!!

Yes, the MH crew have got me! I love them all, if I HAD to pick faves I guess Rochelle Goyle, Cleo, and Frankie Stein would be the ones. But Jane Boolittle, Avea Trotter, Jinafire, Twyla....oh heck. Love them all!

Lots of my dollie friends have been secondhand...either ebay or craigslist or thrift stores. The big exceptions for MH have been the entire Freak du Chic line (all the dolls! the Scaregrounds playset! THREE Gooliopes!), and I have 17" Clawdeen and Elissabat, plus I have the two original 28" Voltageous NIB.

So what I've discovered about myself through this dollie journey...

I debox and redress!
I love dioramas, doll props, roomboxes, modifying, customs!
The photography and storytelling aspects of the modern doll hobby are claw-some!
I haven't seen any of the MH shows...and that's OK.

So that's a bit about me...please say hi and tell me a bit about you!
Lisa

"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Myrcury

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Official Candy Ghoul (says Dfotw!) <3
    • View Profile
    • Myrcury's Toybox
Re: Greetings! Glad to be among friends, please do say hi!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:27:49 PM »
Hey hey! Welcome to our world! LOL! :) I like your creative approach to getting into the dolls! I started off collecting with the intent of only doing customs... but somehow now I have a collection of over 100 dolls. haha...! oops? ^_^;; Mostly MH, but several EAH, a few Bratzillas, some LPS Blythes, Star Darlings, Barbies, Novi Stars, and a couple other oddballs.

You were finding Barbie stuff "in the alley?" o.O As in, your neighbors were tossing it out, or?

And I love all the same things about the dolls that you do! Love to debox and redress (with only a few exceptions!) and absolutely adore room boxes/dioramas and anything miniature. Whee!

Welcome welcome! Hope you'll enjoy it here! :D

PS what a handsome/beautiful dog in your icon! From your user name I'm assuming that's the Dog that you're Mom to? I love dogs!! :D

My Sales *** My Trades *** My Wishlist

I'm a fabric hoarder! Need fabric for making doll clothes? PM me, maybe I can help! :)

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:29:47 AM »
Hi Myrcury!

Yes, that's my furkid - Bella. She's smart, polite, loyal, AND a beautiful girl. I'm so lucky.

Anything miniature is super fabulous! I adore messing around with scale. I'm fortunate living in Chicago, one of the world's biggest/best miniature shows is held here, the Bishop Miniatures Show. Check it out, there are several locations. A-MAZE-ing!

Yes, I walk several miles each day with Bella, and I found a 70s Barbie camper (the orange one), and also another time a small house/playset, that someone had put out in the alley. The little playset, I even delayed on dragging it home, but when it was STILL in the same place the next day, I figured it was meant to be. Both were 'fixer uppers' - that's what got me started with doll stuff.

My most recent 'find' was a few months ago, someone threw out a HUGE Lalaloopsy dollhouse...thankfully I was out driving, so was able to get that into the van. It's now cleaned and holding many MH dolls as display. I googled to find out what it was, and saw it for sale at Sears...for $350!! Score!!

My goal this year is to get things organized. Dolls, shoes, clothes, props, creating supplies.

Thanks for the nice welcome!
Lisa

Offline ebmerc

• Champion of Love and Justice
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 08:30:05 AM »
YYAAAAHHH! :green: Another Chicago Ghoul! I envy how often you get to go thrifting! I never get a chance to plus I dunno what thrift shops sell toys around here. :/

Wait what!? I've been living here how long and didn't know about this miniatures show!? Dannnggg! Just looked at a video. How does one not spend a fortune?

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »
Hi ebmerc! Nice to meet another Chicagoan!

The first year I went I talked to people and took pics.  Limited myself to THREE things that I REALLY loved. Requires a CRAZY amount of self-control.

Missed last year. Planning to go this year.  :biggrin: :blink:

Thanks for saying hello!
Lisa

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
  • Leader off the Jigglypuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:34:11 AM »
Do you have any porcelain Goebel dollss? I have around 300 of them and am planning on buying three more this week.
Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck inside a sewer.
Helga: Gee, I don't know. When you think about it, is there really any sewer bigger than the world of professional modeling?
~Oblongs

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Nope...and I had to google 'Goebel dolls' as I'd never heard of them. 300, that's a lot!!

The few porcelain head dolls I have are the kind with cloth bodies and porcelain head/shoulders, hands and feet. All from thrift stores. One is a fairy/elf type...her boot/foot bottom was broken by a careless store clerk, so I need to fix that. One has two right hands, so I gave her a home as I thought no one else would buy her. One looks French, very pale...her eyes have a slightly Bowie-esque appearance. I would also like to wire them so they can at least sit in a chair.
Lisa

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• Create a Monster
  • Leader off the Jigglypuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »
30. Typo. The porcelain dolls I collect were sold originally on QVC. I have a couple that are part of a museum. The nice thing about them is that they can use a stand or sit without much support.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:15:50 AM by Captain Jigglypuff »
Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck inside a sewer.
Helga: Gee, I don't know. When you think about it, is there really any sewer bigger than the world of professional modeling?
~Oblongs

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
Lol. 30 is still a healthy number. I liked how some of them had 'hair' blowing in the wind. Cute dolls!
Lisa

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 05:01:29 AM »
Hi glad to join. And a picture of Bella who really helped start it all!  Amazing the things people throw out. I never find anything doll or barbie but I can't resist checking out freebies by the curb.

So do you have some pictures of your diorama to share.

I lovemaking things too.  Making a 1:12 scale pumpkin house (pumpkins from Micheals).

And have you gone to see Colleen Moore Fairy Castle. That is my dream to be able to go to the Chicago miniature show and go to the museum to see the Castle and the Thorne rooms.

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:43:58 AM »
Hi snowblossum!  I'm not aware of the Colleen Moore Fairy Castle...will have to check that out, thanks for the heads up!

Right now my roombox is just that...a plain unpainted box of salvaged wood. But I WILL start a thread for sharing pics of my creative endeavors, soon! I guess I can start with the raw box pics so I can explain what I did for salvaging....

Yeah, curbside or alley freebies are ALWAYS worth checking out. I tote home a lot less these days, but I've gotten some amazing treasures that way.

Do you have pics of your Pumpkin House anywhere online? Thanks for saying hello!

Lisa

Post Merge: February 07, 2017, 02:50:13 PM

Hey snowblossum! I googled Colleen Moore Fairy Castle and found it at the Museum of Science and Industry! Been there since 1949! I never knew!

http://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/colleen-moores-fairy-castle/

The great thing is that IL residents get free museum admission 52 days of the year, and there are a bunch of days in Feb. I might have to get myself down there to check it out!! Thank you for mentioning it!

Lisa
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:50:13 PM by DogMom »

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »
Your welcome. Oh if you can take pictures of anything I would love to see. It use to be a travelling exhibit. Imagine they moved that around and put it up and down. 😳

I think there is some Thorne miniature rooms too in Chicago. Andy they are amazing too

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
Snowblossum, if I'm able to get to the museum and they allow pics I'll share some!

Update on my signature line - Inescapable change is for puny mortals - is a quote from Nemesis that for some reason really tickles my funnybone. Was in reference to a discussion about the unchanging nature of Peter Pan.

Lisa

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »
Update!

Thanks everyone, for such a lovely welcome to MHArena! I've really felt right at home here.

As much as I love looking at pics of my dog, Bella, I thought I'd swap out her pic for a dollie one in my profile - here's Cleo, my new profile pic Ghoul!

And here's Bella, too….
My first profile pic for Monster High Arena - it&#x27;s Bella! by Lisa, on Flickr

Offline Sarkans

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 05:52:53 AM »
Hello, DogMom!
I'm probably late with welcoming so I'd just love to say I'm happy to meet another Evangeline collector :) How many Evangelines do you have?

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 06:26:08 AM »
Hello, DogMom!
I'm probably late with welcoming so I'd just love to say I'm happy to meet another Evangeline collector :) How many Evangelines do you have?

Hi Sarkans,
Oh, I'm hardly a collector...I have one, lone Evangeline. But they are beautiful! I'd love to see pics of yours!
Lisa

Offline Sarkans

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 01:04:37 AM »
Oh DogMom, sadly I don't have even one yet since they're expensive but as soon as money permit - getting one ^^

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
Oh DogMom, sadly I don't have even one yet since they're expensive but as soon as money permit - getting one ^^

Yes they are! I got my Evangeline used on ebay, original box & shipper but no clothes/wig, so she was reasonable. And she got loose of her ties during shipping to me, thrashed around and got a cheek rub in the middle of her beautiful rosy blush! Waaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! That's when I discovered the wonderful magical Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges!!!! Problem fixed. But I had to remove all her blush.

I'll try to get her out soon and post a pic....
Lisa

Offline Sarkans

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 05:44:48 AM »
Ohh poor Evangeline! I hope she's as pretty without her blush as she was with it :) Have you made her some outfit(s), wig(s) and shoes?

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 08:21:14 AM »
Actually the rub issue was disheartening and took a lot of my excitement and enjoyment away as I was so upset. My first Evangeline! And her beautiful rosy cheeks along with her Gothic paleness/vibe was a lot of what I liked about this particular one. So she's mostly just been in the box.  :|

It did teach me to ask sellers to wrap doll heads in white tissue or paper towels! Lol

I'm sure I'll come back to enjoying her...thanks for asking!
Lisa