collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Taking Up Cross-Stitching Again?  (Read 796 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
Taking Up Cross-Stitching Again?
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
I used to enjoy cross-stitching as a wee gremlin, I even temporarily got into (terrible) freehand stitching. I was thinking lately about getting back into it, but when (as a tester) I looked up some patterns for Pokémon, I suddenly realised I knew nothing about it o_o I always just got some pre-made material, thread, needle, and away I went.

Any tips for someone who might want to get into the hobby again?
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Scarlett

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Up Cross-Stitching Again?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »
I assume from your comment you used to get kits that had everything in it and now you want to do pictures from charts only?

If that's the case  :biggrin:

• get threads from one of the big brands (dmc, anchor or Madeira. I use dmc for preference but that's cos they're easier to get here
  • start on 14count aida cloth, the higher the number the smaller the holes
  • start with a pattern without a lot of shading.  Or back stitch ( actually, that's a personal preference as I hate back stitching even tho I know it makes the pictures look great  :P

I'll have more of a think and post again later.

Or if you have an specific question, let me know.  I've been cross stitching for about 30 years and have done a lot of different things

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:03:17 PM »
I started cross-stitching from a kids version (plastic grid, wool for thread) but instead of doing the picture I was supposed to, I did my own XD I was so proud that I managed to do a full moon off the top of my head! I was going for a crescent, realised the holes wouldn't let me, repeated the curve I did for the crescent and voila! Moon! I did stars, purple mountains and green grass. It's stupid, but I was so proud XD

I did pictures from a VERY simple chart, no kits. I was getting more into it when I was on holiday and insisted on buying (what I now know is) aida. Somewhere along the line I lost interest, probably around the time I was trying to be taught chain-stitching. My tutor - a family member - was left handed. I'm right. We gave up REAL quick. I did free-stitching on a piece of bleached denim since said family member was chainstitching a dragon design traced from a book cover, I did one of Lord Anubis. Never 100% finished it as I had planned to get gold thread for His belt and ... kept forgetting XD I think I have it in storage.

I am spending this evening looking up items, as I don't even know the terms. Looking at charts, I was totally confused about what exactly I was looking at. What was aida?? Thread count?? I used to stitch with the entire thread, I have to separate it?? That's why I had to post here, it was getting weird!

There's a magazine out right now (I hope ... ) that's 99p as a starter, it has some aida and thread and gives you a project. I planned to get that and have a look in sewing/knitting shops as to the cost of materials, since I don't want to start a new expensive hobby when unemployed. And when I'm REALLY bad at money and already splurging on manga/POP! figures  :(

I had planned to start off with simple outlines then go more complex, focusing on GOT and Pokémon. I kind of want to do this as a STARTER starter:

Just four colours (Black or really dark navy, white, medium blue, light blue) and no complex chart, plenty of room for error and thread colours I'll easily use again
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:50:55 PM by Lady Frostbite »
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline True

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Scary Cute
  • CAM Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »
While I've spent a LOT of my childhood and much of my adulthood freehanding basic embroider, I've never done cross stitch, but always wanted to try, at least I always look at the kits xD so I would be of NO help at all.
I picked up a few small kits and stored them away for a day when I felt mildly adventurous.

I'll probably be stalking this thread for tips :p 
:skel:

Offline dragonlady

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:17:59 AM »
I also recommend getting a hoop to hold your work (if you don't have one already). It made it so much easier having the Aida pulled taut!

Edit: are there more Eevee evolution patterns? I love them :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:21:15 AM by dragonlady »
Rock Lobstah!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
So, I bought the magazine, got the second issue as well for the hoop ... But it turns out I don't need it for this aida, it's REALLY stiff! It's also got quite small holes so it's a challange in the dim light with dark thread, even with my microscopic vision @_@

I was going to hurry back to the closest sewing shop when out shopping, but coming into a Poundworld to get a little storage tub for threads, I came across a pack of 20 skeins of embrodary thread for Ł1! I know it won't be top quality, but I figure it was best to get lots of colours for the price of what I would have paid for 3 Anchor ones, and if I decided to lose interest, it wouldn't be a huge loss. So here's my net profit of the day!

I started the Vaporeon! I'm very rusty and it's stuff aida with small holes, it's not looking too bad for a first attempt:

I got that Vaporeon pattern randomly via Google, BirdieStitching has lots of different Eeveelution patterns but I'm sticking with my ultra-simple one for now!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:05:09 PM »
Update!

So, I finished a Vaporeon!

I finished a Hallowe'en Bulbasaur for a friend's birthday. No picture, I'm afraid! Also did a 'quick' edelweiss flower.

Now this little Vaporeon sprite was supposed to be a test for metallic threads ... now, I had to split the threads since the aida is quite small and ... I refused to work with metallics if I have to split  :mad: HORROR AND TANGLES. Plus, when I was finished, I realised that it looks like I coloured it in Jolteon colours instead of just a blinged-out gold/bronze/silver Vaporeon ;^;

I'm working on a fancy Flareon piece, and I used a program to turn the Vol.1 cover of my favourite comic series into a simple, 10 colour chart so I have that to look forward to once I get the threads!

Online DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »
Those look great! 

I love counted cross stitch, my Mammaw was very good at needlework and I spent a lot of time with her when I was a little kid.  She also taught me how to crochet though I've forgotten how to do that.

I know the pain of metallic thread, it snags on itself so easily.

Offline AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
  • Needs More Cat
    • View Profile
    • The Cabaret Outside of Time and Space (aka my doll blog)
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 08:12:03 PM »
Oh, that Vaporeon looks great!

I love cross-stitch, but I do find kits easier... I always forget to write down what I need to kit up charts myself.
Love is all you need to destroy your enemies.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
Thank you everyone!  :blush: I started the Flareon piece ... but I'm working ona BIG (for me XD) project with new threads ... I'm doing a simple, 10 colour version of the Vol.1 trade of one of my favourite comic series! The writer and creator of the series knows I'm doing it and is looking forward to it!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
I forgot that I had this thread (heh, thread)  :blush: Here's the 'big' piece I mentioned above! The creator gave his permission, so I plan to finish this, frame it, and hopefully present it in person!

Original cover this is based from!

I used an online program to turn it into a simple large 10 colour pattern, since I didn't want to go all out on a crazy large amount of complex colours. It's shaping up nice so far!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:45:18 PM by Lady Frostbite »