collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Give Peri and Pearl legs?  (Read 5754 times)

Offline desdisques

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
Give Peri and Pearl legs?
« on: January 06, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »
I saw Peri and Pearl for a good clearance price but I'm not really into the mermaid tail thing. I would love a two headed doll though.

Would it be possible to give them a body with legs? Perhaps remove the tail and add two legs? or cut the torso at some point and connect a bottom half.

Any ideas or experience?

Offline galaxy

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Sister Pack
  • Jason
    • View Profile
Re: Give Peri and Pearl legs?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 05:18:41 PM »
I saw Peri and Pearl for a good clearance price but I'm not really into the mermaid tail thing. I would love a two headed doll though.

Would it be possible to give them a body with legs? Perhaps remove the tail and add two legs? or cut the torso at some point and connect a bottom half.

Any ideas or experience?

People have rebodied them onto Ghoulia bodies (their skin tones match)

Offline 8BrickMario

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »
There's no official way to give them legs while keeping them conjoined, but custom CAM bodies with two necks can be found, so maybe that would be the answer?
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline ReversedUser

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:24:13 PM »
I've seen some pretty extreme customs so I bet it's possible, I'm just not sure how. I imagine it would involve cutting them off at the waist and fusing them to the lower half of the new body. I'll see if I can find some example of something similar I've seen.

Offline LadyRedRum96

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 11:16:07 PM »

Any ideas or experience?

I re-bodied my Peri onto a Ghoulia body and it worked fine. The skin tone was a great match and it was easy. I just popped the heads off the original body and onto the new one. But, if you want to keep them two head, I suggest messaging the lady who runs Plastic-curves.com. I believe she used to make two headed CAM torsos and would probably make you one if you contacted her.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:17:54 PM by LadyRedRum96 »

Offline dfotw

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »
I got Peri&Pearl and Posea this week, and I've also been wondering whether giving them legs is a possibility!
I think that taking off Ghoulia's legs and putting them on the mermaid tail joint is going to be impossible. I tried doing a leg swap recently and the pre-reboot leg joints are very much not designed to come off easily, let alone be put back in. Besides, even if it could be done, the pelvises are too different and the posture would look odd (the doll would end up with splayed legs).
I am going to attempt cutting a bait torso in half and putting it back together at some point, to see if it would be worth doing it to the mermaid girls. I think I'll try using two-part epoxy, or epoxy putty. I'll post results when I try it!

(quick q: do we think Freshwater/13W Lagoona would be a good leg match for Posea?)

Offline KustomKara

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »

(quick q: do we think Freshwater/13W Lagoona would be a good leg match for Posea?)

I do believe the answer is yes!  ^^; I just don't have the dolls to be at 100%

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
My issue is the opposite. I like the mermaid tail more than I like the 2 heads. It isn't even that she has two heads so much as the neck angle. I would have rather had a double torso each with its own head than a double neck.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline dfotw

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
Thank you, KustomKara! I have 13W Lagoona somewhere at the bottom of my to-sell box, so I'll be putting her aside to try this.
Wardah, if this works, you could cut off the torso and replace it with a single Ghoulia torso with your choice of head.

Update on the cutting torso thing: it's doable, I did it. :biggrin:

Bait torso cut in half:

Bait torso the next morning, joined up again:

Obviously if this were the final custom I'd have done a better job sanding off the joint. And I'd have used something finer than a saw to cut the torso in half. :blush: But for a test, it works, the put-together torso is reasonably sturdy and the joint doesn't show under clothes (unless you choose a midriff-baring outfit).
I used two-part epoxy putty. I was going to use liquid epoxy, but it was too difficult to keep the two pieces together while it cured, the putty is much easier to work with.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to have my mermaid and eat it too... no, wait, that came out wrong. :P A way to switch between tail and legs, I mean. Cut off the mermaid tail, but instead of attaching the legs permanently, put together a system where you can switch between the two. Maybe with magnets? With lego bricks? Or with a simple nut and bolt? I'm willing to hear any and all ideas!

Offline tokoz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
I was inspired by this thread. :3

I had to tack the halves together with a couple dots of hot glue to get them stable enough for the Milliput to set. The mermaid bodies aren't *quite* the same size as the regular bodies. I am slightly worried about the weight of Peri's and Pearl's combined heads, but hopefully once the milliput cures fully everything will be okay.  Otherwise, it worked pretty well, I think!

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 11:39:17 PM »
Those are looking fantastic so far!

Offline dfotw

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 05:52:27 AM »
Tokoz, that's great! Posea looks splendid and so does mermaid!Ghoulia. :clap: :worshippy: :thumb:
I'm sure that the putty will be solid enough once it's dry to hold up the two heads, but do keep us updated. Now I definitely have to try this! :biggrin:

Offline tokoz

• Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »
I'm sure that the putty will be solid enough

Funny thing... It's not the Peri/Pearl top that's giving me issues, it's Hydra!Ghoulia. So far, that combo has broken through super glue, hot glue, e6000, and the Milliput, both singly and in combination. I'm going to go pick up some PVC welding glue next, and THEN we'll see who's still persistently dismembered! ;)

(I think it's probably due to the haphazard way I cut them, and the Ghoulia top/ PP bottom just don't have enough surfaces in common for great adhesion. Either that, or zombies just don't like water.  ;) )

Offline Sirenamber

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Oooh shiny pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Just chiming in to say how cool this thread is! I love these kinds of creative , hard-core mods!!!

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
Wow, everyone's customs look so cool!

Tokoz, what did you use to cut the bodies? an exacto knife?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:26:38 PM by desdisques »

Offline tokoz

• Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »

No, I used a demel/rotary tool.  I have an all-purpose reinforced cutting blade on it that goes through pretty much everything in no time flat. I love it, but if I'd take the time to cut more carefully, I probably would have had an easier time gluing the pieces back. ;)

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »

No, I used a demel/rotary tool.  I have an all-purpose reinforced cutting blade on it that goes through pretty much everything in no time flat. I love it, but if I'd take the time to cut more carefully, I probably would have had an easier time gluing the pieces back. ;)

I have a cutting element for my dremel too, so excited to try this! just waiting on getting a Ghoulia body.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
Love this idea! Thanks for the experiments and reports!
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »
Today was cutting day!

The victims.

After the rough cut.....

As you can see Peri and Pearl's hips are a little wider than Ghoulia's. The curve of their back is different too.

After more sanding the parts are pretty well aligned and ready to be stuck together.

Always wear safety gear!

I sanded Peri and Pearl's torso to get rid of the scales. You can still faintly see them though. I'm actually going to sand Ghoulia's legs before I use Epoxy to stick the halves together. Then more sanding. I'm very sick of sanding.   :whoa:

I used a dremel for the cutting and sanding of the cut. I also used it to get rid of the scales and then hand sanded the torso with finer grits. I plan to finish her off with some Novus plastic polish as one of the final steps.

Offline tokoz

• Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »
bwa-haha more mutants! hurray! You're definitely going about this more methodically than I did (I got liquid nails to finally glue my problem Ghoulia together long enough for the milliput to set). It's interesting that you decided to sand off Peri/Pearl's scales, as I'm trying to figure out how to MAKE scales for my Ghoulia parts.   ;)

Also, is that an awesome plant stand I see behind you? It looks big enough to rival my own collection! ;)