collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

August 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[25] 26 27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Hoard organization  (Read 7419 times)

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: Hoard organization
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
OK...bumpity-bump! I'm doing Hoard Taming today (snap-crack of the whip here!) so sharing what I've got going.

1) Got 6 plastic shoeboxes at Home Depot for 99 cents each. See-thru, white lids, Sterilite brand, they stack securely. Used my handy labelmaker - Hats, Dolls to Fix, and 1 each of accessories for Monster High,  Barbie/LIV, and Miscellaneous, plus 1 more not yet labelled. Will need more shoeboxes but it's a start.

2) Have cleared/consolidated shelving space and made extra room so am relocating dolls from various parts of the condo TO the shelves. Making it look nice will come later, this is about putting like with like. Dolls plus various furniture pieces.

3) Took a whole big grocery bag of books to the free library box at the corner! Cleared space for dolls!

4) I recently saw the very-organized doll/craft room of a long-term collector, and two things she does have stuck with me so I'm passing them along. She keeps the ceiling fan on low speed ALL THE TIME - says the constant airflow minimizes any dust settling. She also puts not-yet-deboxed dolls on the shelves like books, they take up less space that way. I'm trying that out.

5) A lot of my 'hoard explosion' came about because of an injury and resulting pain over the past couple years, but (knock wood) I'm doing better and so am really excited about getting things organized. I think eventually I'd like to have a 'seasonal' prop organization system, so for things like Christmas, Halloween, Springtime, etc., I'm ready! Anyone got a system like that going? If yes, how's it working for you? Any tips?

Anyone else taming their hoard this week?
Lisa

"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 11:08:47 AM »

The shelf is from Ikea.

I'm only missing one 48" inch doll, the purple one. I love the big dolls.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:12:50 AM by desdisques »

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »

The shelf is from Ikea.

Love the display!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

I've been coveting a Big Maddie, been seeing them at TRU. Do the Maddie or Skelita have bending knees? How about Maddie's feet...actual shaped feet or the weird platform feet?

I have the first two, the green and purple. I agree, love em!
Lisa

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
I've been coveting a Big Maddie, been seeing them at TRU. Do the Maddie or Skelita have bending knees? How about Maddie's feet...actual shaped feet or the weird platform feet?

They are just like the other big girls, no knee articulation. The shoes don't come off but if you were to pry them off they have the weird platform feet. I still enjoy them a lot though, despite their short comings.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »

They are just like the other big girls, no knee articulation. The shoes don't come off but if you were to pry them off they have the weird platform feet. I still enjoy them a lot though, despite their short comings.

Oh darn. I'm sure those 'flaws' are design needs so they can stand without those big ole noggins forcing a face plant, but still, either knees that allow for proper sitting or else 'real' shaped feet woulda been nice. One or the other.

Thanks!
Lisa

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the idea about wine cardboard boxes with inserts! I picked up 2 at Trader Joe's, one has top flaps for closing and the other has them cut off. Great place to put new bait dolls until I can do something with them!

The EAH/MH boys are a bit tall and are in the one with the top flaps cut off, but the standard size girls fit just fine!
Lisa

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 05:11:19 PM »
The only way I can display my dolls is on a bureau that barely fits all my dolls.  You can't properly see all the dolls and it drives me nuts.  Also, if one doll falls it's like dominoes and most of them fall down.  So annoying.  I would love a tall bookshelf with plenty of space in each shelf to display my dolls by the line they were released in.  It's my dream but sadly it may never happen.

I follow wookiewarrior23 on youtube and they get bookshelves from IKEA and they also have glass cabinets.  They have every doll ever made and sometimes duplicates to keep in the box.  They have an older collection video and are working on a new one but they're still trying to get a few new things before they make the new one.

Here is a link to their 2013 collection video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXE3tnPNZT4&list=PL3waLuL3Pk2-f0xqyzb0qWpRZhHfuHqo4&index=3

I've been following them since they were kids when they first started making videos but now they're pretty much adults, one is 18 and I think the other is 16.  They do other videos for other things they buy and they're Dad has his own channel and he collects mostly legos but still fun to watch.

Post Merge: February 28, 2017, 05:13:03 PM

The shelf is from Ikea.

I love that, it's so awesome.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:13:03 PM by Majesty »

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »
The only way I can display my dolls is on a bureau that barely fits all my dolls.  You can't properly see all the dolls and it drives me nuts.  Also, if one doll falls it's like dominoes and most of them fall down.  So annoying.  I would love a tall bookshelf with plenty of space in each shelf to display my dolls by the line they were released in.  It's my dream but sadly it may never happen.

I follow wookiewarrior23 on youtube and they get bookshelves from IKEA and they also have glass cabinets.  They have every doll ever made and sometimes duplicates to keep in the box.  They have an older collection video and are working on a new one but they're still trying to get a few new things before they make the new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXE3tnPNZT4&list=PL3waLuL3Pk2-f0xqyzb0qWpRZhHfuHqo4&index=3
The glass shelves in the video are Ikea's Detolf shelves, I use them for my Precious Moments figurines... I find them too small for my doll collections, personally. Height-wise they're fine you just can't fit that many dolls on one shelf.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »

Majesty, you could add a few wooden boxes on top of your bureau to contain things and prevent the domino effect. If you have small kids around, or climbing cats or are in an earthquake zone, you might need to somehow affix the boxes to the bureau, otherwise gravity should be enough. You could also do something on the wall above the bureau...do you know anyone that could build something that will fit on top of your bureau?

I have two salvaged dresser drawers that, once cleaned, will go on top of existing shelves for more storage. I have none of the above-mentioned hazards so will be able to rely upon gravity.  :biggrin:

I also have a few wall display pieces that are awaiting warm weather and outdoors painting. As things go into place I'll try to share pics.

You can also do what museums do and 'curate' your collection...rotate some into storage and some on display.
Lisa

Offline Rhana

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Rescuer of Toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »

The glass shelves in the video are Ikea's Detolf shelves, I use them for my Precious Moments figurines... I find them too small for my doll collections, personally. Height-wise they're fine you just can't fit that many dolls on one shelf.

SO many dolls! OwO
Also, the banner you have for your YT channel is really cute, who made it? Were bases used?

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »

SO many dolls! OwO
Also, the banner you have for your YT channel is really cute, who made it? Were bases used?

It's not her channel. It's a channel she likes.

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline elvenlogic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Stiff
  • UN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE S
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
My home is very Ikea, so I can probably answer a lot of Ikea questions :happy:

My doll room has two Billys and an Expedit (which has the same internal shelf size as the Kallax, but with a thicker outer part). I have a Billy with the full glass doors downstairs to display tea pots. I have one of those tall skinny shelves, and recently replaced two of those cheapo little little shelves (both of which I forgot the name). I love the Hemnes series for how it looks and feels, one room in the house is almost all Hemnes. I have drawers too, but I'll address that if someone asks (although I will say, we recently got a full refund on every Malm chest we had - Ikea recalled a number of them due to tipping hazards).

I've been pondering some Billy bookshelves with doors, efficient and wide shelves. I'll find a link to the IKEA bookcase we got for hubs last year, has glass on top half of door and wood/solid on bottom half, to hide 'messiness' - I was thinking that might work for my dollie stuff too.

I love the Billy bookcases! Almost more than the more expensive ones, since I live in a small house and these are low profile, yet roomy for storage. If I could, Iíd line all my walls with Billy bookcases. They even have a clever little cutout for the baseboard that some of the others donít - that is to say, they sit flush against the wall.

I have big plans to invest in this type of shelf for my dollies, and make separate rooms for them. :)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70301542/
I already have a 2x2 unit, but it's a tad too close to the floor, and too much access for the cats. xD
Also, are there any type of doors you can use for these shelves?

There are door inserts you can get for each individual cube, and also drawer inserts, but they get pretty pricey when you're doing this for a large shelf... as someone who also has cats, I tend to put the plastic boxes lower and the things that are bad for kitties to have (like dolls) higher. Then again, the Expedit/Kallax is nearly impossible to find perfectly fitting boxes for (that arenít just that huge deep one). I ended up making some.

I'm afraid my crafting room/doll arrangement is a bit messy right now, but what the heck. Here are some pictures.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2017, 12:32:42 AM »
Elvenlogic, thanks for the pics! I love your wig storage solution of Styrofoam balls and skewer sticks, that it allows the wigs to hang...I just might adapt that into something for my own dollie wigs that aren't in use at the moment. I agree, the IKEA Hemnes series is nice, it's mainly pine (not particleboard). I didn't know about the Billy bookcases accommodating baseboards, that's a nice design feature.

We have three Pax wardrobes lined up in our living room, our condo is 'open concept' which also means 'not enough storage/closets', LOL. They are dark espresso brown, with smooth doors, very clean looking. I did buy the long modern metal door handles that are round metal rods, but once the cabinets were together I realized that drilling into the doors and getting them even/straight would be harder than I initially thought, so I left the handles off.

In them, one is for tools/hardware, cans of spray paint in milk crates, wrapping paper, several small coolers, a boombox, and my sewing machine in a travel case. One is for guest linens and extra pillows, and dog stuff. A third is for yarn/fabric/crafting hoard plus my sewing basket. They're lined up along one wall with our TV/entertainment gear that's on an open Metro shelving rolling rack about 2 ft high. I have a 4th Pax that's still in box, wasn't sure if I wanted to use it for my 'wall' of storage or something else. I still have a few pull-out drawer inserts that go inside, I'm reconfiguring the inside on them as part of my condo re-org project.

I just looked up the Kallax system on the IKEA website and was pleasantly surprised that the inserts were a lot less than I expected... $20 for an insert with 2 drawers, but $15 for one with a single door, and several cube options from $5-$12, and a lidded box for $5. I might need to schedule a field trip to IKEA soon.  :biggrin:
Lisa
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:51:48 AM by DogMom »

Offline Majesty

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2017, 05:17:47 AM »

Majesty, you could add a few wooden boxes on top of your bureau to contain things and prevent the domino effect. If you have small kids around, or climbing cats or are in an earthquake zone, you might need to somehow affix the boxes to the bureau, otherwise gravity should be enough. You could also do something on the wall above the bureau...do you know anyone that could build something that will fit on top of your bureau?

I have two salvaged dresser drawers that, once cleaned, will go on top of existing shelves for more storage. I have none of the above-mentioned hazards so will be able to rely upon gravity.  :biggrin:

I also have a few wall display pieces that are awaiting warm weather and outdoors painting. As things go into place I'll try to share pics.

You can also do what museums do and 'curate' your collection...rotate some into storage and some on display.
Lisa

Thanks for the suggestion DogMom. :)  Sadly the only person who could add stuff to my wall is my Dad and I'm certain he won't do it for me.  He hates my dolls to begin with and my parents just recently repainted my room so I think they're done with projects in my room for now.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2017, 05:41:28 AM »
Aw, sorry to hear about your dad, that's too bad. I'll post a pic of my salvaged drawer once I get it cleaned and in place. I do have plans to paint it with white chalk paint, but that's Phase II and I need the weather to be a bit warmer than it is.

UPDATE: Here's the cleaned drawer in place, so you can get an idea of what I'm saying. I put rubber grippers on the bottom side to keep it from sliding, you can get those at pretty much any store (Home Depot, Walgreens, Bed Bath & Beyond). I probably wouldn't put HEAVY stuff in mine (like books and such), since it's already on top of a bookcase and is pretty high up, but for dollie display I think it'll work fine.

I have the carved piece that was from the bureau top, will screw that into place on the top, and will paint it all white/shabby chic with chalk paint.

Some adviceÖif you salvage pieces from things people throw out, check for any bugs! If you bring home bugs or bug eggs that later hatch, your parents will NOT be pleased. You can also keep your eyes open for similar wood or laminate boxes at garage and estate sales. If you find something that helps your bureau display, please share a pic here! Good luck!
Lisa

2017 - salvaged drawer as extra storage by Lisa, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:43:04 AM by DogMom »

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
Taming the Hoard: The Saga Continues....

I scored two awesome lateral file cabinets at Goodwill today, $4.99 each.

Thas' right - $10 for two lateral file cabinets. Made of MDF likely, they're grey so are neutral. Been wanting some for AGES, they're the ones like dressers, so you can SEE things when you open them. Plus had a $5 rewards coupon, plus was 15% off customer appreciation. Practically free! New in the store they're $100+. Each.

I'm not sure yet how wide the two together will be, but if they're wide enough, I might be able to take the doors off 3 other MDF style cabinets I have, put the cabinets on top of the file cabinets as shelf toppers, and they'd be great for dollie/prop display.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:04:36 PM by DogMom »

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »
I would love some ideas on this lol. One person I follow on YouTube has a pretty indepth tutorial on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L4uQLocuCk

I watch the same YouTuber and she has really inspired me to keep my dolls organized! Here's how I do it:

I put doll accessories and outfits in plastic according to character. For example, all of my extra Frankie stuff goes in one bag, Clawdeen stuff goes in another. For items that came with non character specific playsets, I organize them by playset. I then put all of the plastic bags in a bin. For non-Monster High accessories and clothes, I use the same method but each doll line has its own bin.

I store dolls I'm not displaying in a box, which probably isn't the best method. You have to dig through the box to find a certain doll and I don't have enough boxes to separate dolls by wave. I also store furniture pieces in a box, which is again not the best method. Since the furniture is all different, a lot of parts end up caught together or become bent.

I still have a lot to learn... :)

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »
So I finally started sorting through my pre-teenage years Barbie stuff! Here's how I'm doing it.

I'm sorting the accessories based on type: all of the food in one bag, electronic devices in another, etc. I also have a bin for shoes. As for clothes, I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I have an idea to also sort them based on type, like shirts, dresses, and pants. And dolls...well, I was rough with my toys as a young child so they all need makeovers. After that I have no clue as to how I'm going to store them. Maybe the same as my Monster High dolls. Either way suggestions are welcome!

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Based on someone else's suggestion here (sorry, I forget who!), I got some cardboard wine boxes from Trader Joe's, they have the cardboard inserts in them, and I have a doll in each compartment, for temporary storage. If it's for long-term storage, I might get some acid-free tissue and wrap them in that first, or else tissue/bubble wrap and put them into a large ziploc. If they're standing up, then hair is less likely to get squished into weird shapes than if they were lying down in a box.

Offline AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
  • Needs More Cat
    • View Profile
    • The Cabaret Outside of Time and Space (aka my doll blog)
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2017, 11:53:48 PM »
I (still... blergh) haven't got all my shelves built, and I had to leave my big bookcases behind in the move, so it's all about rotating for me.

I've actually only got my newest girls out, everyone else is in THE TUB. Big old purple rubbermaid container full of dolls... Eventually I'll get them set up with a little environment, I've got some chairs that fit them, plus some EAH furniture and many a prop, and then more dolls will be out of THE TUB at a time. But I still plan on rotating the collection just because space is at such a premium in my room and I have so many other collections to display, not to mention books.
Love is all you need to destroy your enemies.