collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 56
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

December 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: Hoard organization  (Read 7886 times)

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: Hoard organization
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
Most of my dolls are in my upstairs loft.. my bed room and my art studio..
Up there i have a lot of shelving.. which helps..
Down stairs in my bed room i have some display tables.. as i keep all of my toiletries in the bath room.. they can stay on my dresser and thats where most my eah girls are..
I have a holiday barbie and my DC superhero girl supergirl on the table in my stuido.. just for the heck of it..All of my star wars 4 inch action figs are in t here too.. ( my army of galens  <3 <3 <3 What can i say i love the lil twerp)
On my computer desk i have my my glittery and l ight up ponies the rest are again on shelves upstairs.. and my t hree desk guardians.. the 7/8' (what Revan's big!) star wars black series figs..
I TRY to keep my girly stuff outa my man's man cave.. hehe..
his / my transformers collection is also up in my loft as well. LOTS of shelves.

Offline Rhana

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Rescuer of Toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 11:00:20 AM »
I have big plans to invest in this type of shelf for my dollies, and make separate rooms for them. :)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70301542/
I already have a 2x2 unit, but it's a tad too close to the floor, and too much access for the cats. xD
Also, are there any type of doors you can use for these shelves?

Offline Dosneko

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Clawsome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »
I have big plans to invest in this type of shelf for my dollies, and make separate rooms for them. :)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70301542/
I already have a 2x2 unit, but it's a tad too close to the floor, and too much access for the cats. xD
Also, are there any type of doors you can use for these shelves?

I'm not sure about just doors but IKEA makes an insert that has a door.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20278167/

But yes, this is something I'm also working on right now. Itís slow going since I'm trying to make a catalog of all accessories/items that every doll and playset comes with while going through my dolls so I know what Iím missing/what I have.
Then the next step is to work on how Iím going to display everything.  ^^; :freak: Luckily I'm almost done with the cataloging :green:

Offline pinkbird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Stone Cold Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
As I am not the best at explaining things, I hope these photos help!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Here's the winged girls

That is such an awesome idea! :love: I would be too afraid of my dolls falling to do this but this is really amazing to see. I love that Spectra display!

Offline desdisques

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 04:29:42 PM »
I have 3 shelves on the wall to display my dolls and a plastic set of drawers to keep all their stuff in. I organize the stuff in zip lock baggies.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »
Here's a link to the bookcase with half-glass door we got for hubs awhile back. HEMNES series. However, I think we got it when the price was lower or they were running a special, because current price is $330...say whaaaat?! For that amount I could have something custom made. Nice bookcase, pretty sturdy. It matches the desk/topper that are still in boxes. Don't ask. I like there's some display, and some covered storage to hide the messy stuff.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/70227118/

UPDATE: on bookcase: I stand corrected! Hubs says we paid $327 for the HEMNES bookcase! However that was our total cost including sales tax, so the price HAS gone up a bit.

Evilunicorn...thank you for posting your 'floating ghouls' storage/art solution pics
Lisa!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:58:55 PM by DogMom »
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline girlnamedlance

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Haunting the toy aisles
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »

That's my menagerie before I took it down to pack for my move. That's just a DIY shelf from Menard's (they come prefinished in a few colors) and with brackets to attach them to the wall. The riser is another one split longways down the middle with smaller brackets to attach it to the wall. The riser ends behind Clawd so there's room for Bloodgood's horse and Goo's stand. (There's a Jackson in there too, he's covered by Luna and Moucedes because he doesn't have a stand.)

As for storage, I've packed them into liquor shipping boxes nabbed from Costco. I literally stood there in the store consolidating some cases together so I could steal the boxes with the cardboard dividers. They're plenty big enough for the doll to remain on their stand and just slide right on in. I took off any accessories I didn't trust to stay in place (like Amanita's hair flower or Invisibilly's folder) and put them in a separate box all together. Obviously bottles that are tall and round like vodka will be better than, say, the spiced rum which comes in a different style bottle. No one really batted an eye when I rolled out of there with them in my cart with my groceries. One downside is that the tops have been cut off, so you may need to improvise a lid if that's important to you. If you don't have a Costco, a liquor store or grocery store may be able to help you out. (Incidentally, most state laws preclude Costco/Sam's Club from requiring a membership to purchase alcohol, so you can just walk right in and do this if you don't have a membership. Just tell the guy at the door you're there for alcohol if they ask for your card.)

I have no idea of the acid content of these boxes, so I wouldn't recommend it for permanent storage, but for moving or keeping everyone organized while displays are cleaned/updated, it'll do the job and keep them from marring each other.

I kept the boxes to the vinyls with the boxes to my Figuarts and other figures in a filing cabinet that wasn't being used for files anymore. The only boxes I keep are the ones that can neatly be unpacked and repacked like these. If it's basically made to be destroyed like modern MH/EAH boxes, they get tossed.

Rhana - Do you have any trouble with dolls being too tall for that shelf? Like say Casta or Vandala on their stands? I'm not sure who the tallest normal-size ghoul is right now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:44:22 PM by girlnamedlance »
Can I have your autograph? I'm collecting Signatures!

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »
Well...Evilunicorn's brilliant 'wall hanging dollie storage/display' solution got me thinking...I'd want a bit more security, so I was wondering if there were hook-type solutions, and I found pinhooks!! Basically pushpins but they're hooks! Here's an etsy seller I found that seems to have a good price, so you can see what I mean:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PINHOOKS?ref=s2-header-shopname

Could be good for hanging winged creatures from, too. Or MLP display?

I'm also thinking paperclips could provide more of a 'seat' with the regular pushpins - bend into a curve like a saddle stand, hang it from the pushpin, put doll onto it.

Thanks for the inspiration, Evilunicorn!
Lisa

Offline girlnamedlance

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Haunting the toy aisles
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »
Even more secure would be bending it in half around the pin and then making your hooks so they fit into the grooves where the thigh pieces meet the torso piece. But this is a really great idea.
Can I have your autograph? I'm collecting Signatures!

Offline Tsudeki

• Glue-Seepage Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
I've really only got the vinyls and minis, but here's my solution for displaying them:

(click for full size)

The minis in the middle use empty lockers (behind the displayed ones) to create a tiered effect to match the acrylic shelves to the left and right for the larger vinyls. I was going to do a matching mini next to each vinyl, but the tiered acrylic shelves don't have the space for it.

The minis on the shelf are all my original ghouls minis. The other minis (candy, circus, power ghoul, ghostly, etc) are all on my desk or in the minis collector's case. I may rotate them out occasionally, but I really like how they're displayed for now.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the tiered shelves I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CSB0EI6/ (this is a pack of 2 of the shelves)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:14:33 AM by Tsudeki »

Offline Rhana

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Rescuer of Toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »

Rhana - Do you have any trouble with dolls being too tall for that shelf? Like say Casta or Vandala on their stands? I'm not sure who the tallest normal-size ghoul is right now.

Ehh, I don't have either, but Neightan is my tallest doll, and he fits fine, there's a lot of room above his head. :)

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• Create a Monster
  • Leader off the Jigglypuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »

Ehh, I don't have either, but Neightan is my tallest doll, and he fits fine, there's a lot of room above his head. :)

Tallest normal sized doll I think is Marisol. I know she is one of the taller dolls. Goolopie is definitely the largest in general but that's a given.
Helga: So I'm not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn't stuck inside a sewer.
Helga: Gee, I don't know. When you think about it, is there really any sewer bigger than the world of professional modeling?
~Oblongs

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »
I've really only got the vinyls and minis, but here's my solution for displaying them:

(click for full size)

The minis in the middle use empty lockers (behind the displayed ones) to create a tiered effect to match the acrylic shelves to the left and right for the larger vinyls. I was going to do a matching mini next to each vinyl, but the tiered acrylic shelves don't have the space for it.

The minis on the shelf are all my original ghouls minis. The other minis (candy, circus, power ghoul, ghostly, etc) are all on my desk or in the minis collector's case. I may rotate them out occasionally, but I really like how they're displayed for now.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the tiered shelves I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CSB0EI6/ (this is a pack of 2 of the shelves)

Love your vinyls collection,  and the overall display is suh-weeeeet! Thx for sharing!
Lisa

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
I need to tidy my shelves and bait box, but my doll clothes are kept in little tackle box style containers that are split up into partitions by type. I plan to get a few more because they're getting pretty full lately.

Offline leenetje

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
I keep my big accesories in a box at the back of my shelves, the small accesories in the draculocker together with my extra shoes, and the clothes and tiny accesories like necklaces and earrings in a craft box for glitter, it's a little box with 8 tiny jars in it. The diaries i keep in a photoalbum, one with pockets.

for my dolls i use shelves, and on the wall i have a couple ikea artwork shelves. they have a raised front, and the MH stands fit pretty well on the lower parts. EAH stands are too big for the shelving though.

obligatory link to the wallshelf: http://www.ikea.com/be/nl/catalog/products/40291766/

Offline Rhana

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Rescuer of Toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »
for my dolls i use shelves, and on the wall i have a couple ikea artwork shelves. they have a raised front, and the MH stands fit pretty well on the lower parts. EAH stands are too big for the shelving though.

obligatory link to the wallshelf: http://www.ikea.com/be/nl/catalog/products/40291766/

Ah, yes, I use those shelves to display my Lanard pony collection, but the three of them just don't cut it anymore. xD It's getting full, so I might have to switch some stuff up once I've moved. :)

On another note, I've started to make a huge dollycloset for their clothes, mainly. Will see what I'll do about shoes, since I have so many pairs, but I do have an idea...

Offline RowanMcInish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Bad Box Hair
  • I see a bad moon on the rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
Although I've got two long wall shelves and the tops of two small bookcases dedicated exclusively to my hoard, it's still spilled over from the bedroom into my den. Instead of spending an extraordinary amount of money on a display case, my father and I used a pre-existing bookshelf and built a case for ourselves for less than $90.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's functional. Two plexiglass doors attached to piano hinges with pop rivets and held closed with magnetic latches. The lights ( which need to be re-positioned and paired off on the top 3 shelves for better illumination ) are remote-controlled, battery-powered and secured with double-sided tape.

Clothes and accessories that aren't being displayed are bagged and kept in the vinyl case for easy access. Thankfully, I don't have a boat-load of that, yet, but I do have a few back-up storage containers should the vinyl case reach its maximum capacity.
"On your way to grandmother's house and lo and behold, who should you meet but the big bad wolf~" - Quentin Collins

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »
Although I've got two long wall shelves and the tops of two small bookcases dedicated exclusively to my hoard, it's still spilled over from the bedroom into my den. Instead of spending an extraordinary amount of money on a display case, my father and I used a pre-existing bookshelf and built a case for ourselves for less than $90.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's functional. Two plexiglass doors attached to piano hinges with pop rivets and held closed with magnetic latches.

Great DIY case and door! What are pop rivets? Did you have to drill into the plexi to attach the hinge? And I love the idea of remote control lights! I'm thinking those 'hockey puck' LED lights would be good. Or even unscented 'candle' lights, in a candelabra!

On a smaller scale than your bookcase, I have some salvaged drawers I want to turn into storage, I love the ideas and the plexi door with magnetic closure. Thanks for sharing,  RowanMcInish!

Thanks everyone!  Keep the tips and inspiration coming!

Offline RowanMcInish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Bad Box Hair
  • I see a bad moon on the rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 08:47:54 PM »

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's functional. Two plexiglass doors attached to piano hinges with pop rivets and held closed with magnetic latches.

Great DIY case and door! What are pop rivets? Did you have to drill into the plexi to attach the hinge? And I love the idea of remote control lights! I'm thinking those 'hockey puck' LED lights would be good. Or even unscented 'candle' lights, in a candelabra!

On a smaller scale than your bookcase, I have some salvaged drawers I want to turn into storage, I love the ideas and the plexi door with magnetic closure. Thanks for sharing,  RowanMcInish!

Thanks everyone!  Keep the tips and inspiration coming!

Thank you!

Pop rivets are also commonly referred to as "blind rivets", and they allow you to fasten objects together when access is only possible from one side. That wasn't exactly the case with the plexi since it hadn't been mounted or anything, but we needed something that wouldn't threaten to crack it and they seemed to be the best choice to mount the hinges with. It did require us to drill holes through the plexi, though, so if you choose to go that route, make sure to carefully measure and mark where you'll need the holes.

In the first two pics below, you can see the difference between the pop rivets and regular screws ( which were used to mount the doors to the case ). We had to mount them flush to the front of the case because the hinges wouldn't allow enough room for the door to close from the side.

This is a pretty solid tutorial on how to use a pop rivet gun, and he also explains how to choose what size rivets you'll need in another video. https://youtu.be/WPwNsQMnx88

We had to drill another hole to fit the little knob/handle, and used that to attach one half of the magnetic enclosure. The other half was mounted just inside the cabinet.

The lights we used are those little hockey puck LED's, but I hadn't thought of those flame-less "candle" lights! That could look very nice!

I hope the pictures and tutorial link help!
"On your way to grandmother's house and lo and behold, who should you meet but the big bad wolf~" - Quentin Collins

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »
Yes, thanks for doing that, RowanMcInish!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:11:55 PM by DogMom »