collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: A couple tiny rants. Nothing devastating, but still annoying.  (Read 250 times)

Offline Claire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Mess with gecko, you get a pecko
    • View Profile
A couple tiny rants. Nothing devastating, but still annoying.
« on: December 05, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »
Well a couple of little irritating things have been happening, and I just want to vent a bit. ^^;

First an issue with a coworker: I make bracelets, and I sometime bring my craft box to work with me and work on them during breaks. A coworker who's always been nice and talks to me asks if she can buy one, but asks if she can pay me when we get paid next. I trust her and the next payday is pretty close, so I say okay. Then comes the endless cycle of "Next time I see you" "Next Tuesday" "Next Thursday" "I had bills" and on and on. This went on, no lie, for a few weeks. I was getting pretty fed up to say the least...I charge $10 for the bracelets. I understand money may be tight with some people, but if she knew she wasn't going to be able to pay for it, why did she say she wanted to buy it in the first place? Anyway, the other day, she returns the bracelet to me and asks me to hold it until she can pay for it. I have a feeling she was wanting me to say "Oh it's okay you can just keep it" but I was at the end of my rope at that point so I just said okay, I'll hold it, and I took it back. But here's the thing: I don't care what you do with the bracelet when it's bought and paid for. Do whatever you want. But she hadn't paid for it yet, and not only did she bend it back into a straight line from its bracelet shape (Which was NOT necessary), but the ends, that I coil into a pretty pattern, were all bent up and misshapen. It's wire, I understand it getting a little kinked, but it look like she manhandled the thing. It's fixable, but it's going to take some reshaping and maneuvering. Not only did she have no regard for something she didn't even technically own yet, but she had zero respect for something I made and worked hard on. And I don't know how long she wants me to hold it. Am I going to be holding onto it forever when there's potentially someone who will like, actually pay for it and be careful with it? Grr.  :annoyed:

Now something school related: I'm a graphic design major in a Brand Identity class and we just finished up a huge project. Part of the project was to print the images out and mount them on mat board. We have to cut the mat board down to size. We have a room in the building where we have measuring/cutting boards and straight cutters that slide into the ruler so you get a straight line all the way down as you cut. So I get there tonight and the cutters are gone. I ask another student in the room where they are and she says that one of the teachers took them because people were mishandling them. Okay, she probably wants to hold onto them when no one's in the room so they don't get ruined, I get it. Before I get to the rest, let me tell you about this teacher...I've never been that fond of her. She's one of those teachers that thinks her class is the ONLY class that matters. She'll assign multiple assignments that take hours to be completed in one day. She once made us buy $100 worth of supplies for one project. No cheaper alternatives allowed, they had to be these specific, expensive brands. She'll play favorites and endlessly praise the work of the students she likes, and if you're not a favorite you'll pretty much get a "Meh." She expects perfection and I had endless anxiety when I was one of her students because I knew no matter what I did it wasn't going to be "good enough". Once we were going over projects in class and when she got to mine she pretty much said "I don't think it's that great" right in front of everybody. So she's not that nice, but I put up with her and passed both classes I had with her and I'm glad I don't have to have her as my teacher ever again.
Back to the main story. I go to her office to ask if I can use the cutter. I get a big fat no, since "people are dismantling them". And she says we're not getting them back. So the ENTIRE BUILDING loses the privilege of using this tool that is used for pretty much EVERY project because somebody pretty much just took the razor blade out of it? I know some people are extreme with the "One person ruins it for everybody", but she was SO HAPPY about pretty much being a huge inconvenience. Had this huge grin on her face as she told me. Furthermore, every teacher I've had in the department knows I'm a good student and I don't destroy resources. I've been told by every teacher (Except her, of course  :hmm:) that my work is great and that I keep improving. Even a notoriously tough teacher has given me compliments. I'm just wondering why she couldn't let me use it and say "You can use it but make sure you bring it right back because some people don't use it right"? Night the huge project is due and multiple students are going to be cutting board and she takes away a very important tool. :hmm: Now, we have been shown how to cut the board with a regular ruler and a utility knife, but (and I'm not the only one who does this) find this a bit fiddly and I have a tendency to go off the straight line and ruin my board. I just want my work to look neat.
There's a bright side though! I found out the photography studio downstairs has a straight cutter and she can't take that one. :P

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
Re: A couple tiny rants. Nothing devastating, but still annoying.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 10:08:25 PM »
I would totally tell that co-worker that you sold the bracelet to someone else. Even if you just end up giving it as a gift to someone more deserving, if she asks about it I would just say "Oh yeah a friend of mine saw it and offered to buy it for $20 so I couldn't pass it up." I don't think she will ask since she was such a flake, but if she does, that would totally be my response.

As far as the teacher goes... Everyone's met that teacher. Ugh.

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
Did you ever get the cutter back? The next time that happens (or hell, if it's still happening), go to the department head or even the dean and ask them to explain to you why the equipment you're paying for the privilege of using is not available. Better yet, get some of your classmates who also need that equipment to go and complain with you. Let that teacher explain herself to someone in a position of power over her.

I've had to cut mats for my classes, and doing it with a utility knife is one of those things that just made me want to tear my hair out. You need at least two people to have a chance in hell of doing a decent job, and it never looks as clean as using the proper tool does. 

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 08:49:39 PM »
Now something school related: I'm a graphic design major in a Brand Identity class and we just finished up a huge project. Part of the project was to print the images out and mount them on mat board. We have to cut the mat board down to size. We have a room in the building where we have measuring/cutting boards and straight cutters that slide into the ruler so you get a straight line all the way down as you cut. So I get there tonight and the cutters are gone. I ask another student in the room where they are and she says that one of the teachers took them because people were mishandling them. Okay, she probably wants to hold onto them when no one's in the room so they don't get ruined, I get it. Before I get to the rest, let me tell you about this teacher...I've never been that fond of her. She's one of those teachers that thinks her class is the ONLY class that matters. She'll assign multiple assignments that take hours to be completed in one day. She once made us buy $100 worth of supplies for one project. No cheaper alternatives allowed, they had to be these specific, expensive brands. She'll play favorites and endlessly praise the work of the students she likes, and if you're not a favorite you'll pretty much get a "Meh." She expects perfection and I had endless anxiety when I was one of her students because I knew no matter what I did it wasn't going to be "good enough". Once we were going over projects in class and when she got to mine she pretty much said "I don't think it's that great" right in front of everybody. So she's not that nice, but I put up with her and passed both classes I had with her and I'm glad I don't have to have her as my teacher ever again.
Back to the main story. I go to her office to ask if I can use the cutter. I get a big fat no, since "people are dismantling them". And she says we're not getting them back. So the ENTIRE BUILDING loses the privilege of using this tool that is used for pretty much EVERY project because somebody pretty much just took the razor blade out of it? I know some people are extreme with the "One person ruins it for everybody", but she was SO HAPPY about pretty much being a huge inconvenience. Had this huge grin on her face as she told me. Furthermore, every teacher I've had in the department knows I'm a good student and I don't destroy resources. I've been told by every teacher (Except her, of course  :hmm:) that my work is great and that I keep improving. Even a notoriously tough teacher has given me compliments. I'm just wondering why she couldn't let me use it and say "You can use it but make sure you bring it right back because some people don't use it right"? Night the huge project is due and multiple students are going to be cutting board and she takes away a very important tool. :hmm: Now, we have been shown how to cut the board with a regular ruler and a utility knife, but (and I'm not the only one who does this) find this a bit fiddly and I have a tendency to go off the straight line and ruin my board. I just want my work to look neat.
There's a bright side though! I found out the photography studio downstairs has a straight cutter and she can't take that one. :P

That sounds an awful lot like one of the professors I had when I went to school for Graphic Design. They actually banned spray mount from being brought into the building because people were using it in the wrong places.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 11:26:22 PM »
Have you tried talking to another member of staff about the cutters? Or is she the only professor with domain over those resources?

When I was in Uni, they were locked up if a print monitor or professor wasn't there to keep an eye on things, and students had to provide their own razors. The traditional printmaking studio also had their own mat cutter, but it was reserved for print students, and any non-print students caught sneaking in to use it were kicked out immediately. This rule was implemented because people cutting mats for proficiency or other projects had badly warped the guide bar on the cutters in the drawing room, and started trying to use the GD and printmaking cutters instead. <_<;

Offline Claire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Mess with gecko, you get a pecko
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm done with classes for the semester, but I'm going to have to use those resources next semester, and I'm paying a fee with my tuition to use the building's tools and resources so I think it's kind of ridiculous of her to take away something we are literally paying to use. If she doesn't knock it off when classes resume in the spring I'm going to let the head of the department know. If all else fails we still have the photography room, and if she tries to take those away I do think she'll have a riot on her hands. :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal