collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: How is MH Doing? Popularity, Sales, Overall, etc.  (Read 35516 times)

Offline Manster Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
Re: How is MH Doing? Popularity, Sales, Overall, etc.
« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2017, 04:05:08 AM »
2018 is the last :cry:
“The end of a melody is not its goal: but nonetheless, had the melody not reached its end it would not have reached its goal either. A parable.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

If it end it ends it was great while it lasted.. We will always have the dolls that we purchased and the great memories to go with them.

“The splendid thing
about falling apart
silently...
is that
you can start over
as many times
as you like.”
― Sanober Khan, A Thousand Flamingos

and if it ends there will be new things to love... new dolls to entice us and we will always love what once was.

“The most important thing is this: to sacrifice what you are now for what you can become tomorrow.”
― Shannon L. Alder
and be sides.. if it does end.. in the future we may see it again.. better than ever ( star wars anyone? Transformers? Countless other francises that have been re re re re built)

If it ends.. it ends on a good note.. it was fun and positive and we will go on to more great things.
if it doesnt end and all of us nay sayers have to eat our words well that will be great too.
I really am good either way.. it was fun while it lasted.. I'll miss it.. but i look forward to what comes next.

I'm ok with it because we got way too many Ula's, Clawdeen's and Frankie's...I just wish we got more Rochelle's Venus's, Catty's before it ended...
I would have liked at least one more catty in her new out fit.. have they announced this 2018 is the end? offically?

No there has NOT been ANY official announcement about MH ending, it is ALL speculation. In fact I read somewhere recently that we're getting another series of Ghoul Squad in March 2018.
I do however think that Mattel dropped the ball a bit with the first series of Ghoul Squad, I think that they should have rereleased the core dolls in updated GS packaging along with reboot sig versions of Deuce, Catty, Toralei etc.
There are many of shades of grey between black and white.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2017, 05:54:19 AM »
2018 is the last :cry:
“The end of a melody is not its goal: but nonetheless, had the melody not reached its end it would not have reached its goal either. A parable.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

If it end it ends it was great while it lasted.. We will always have the dolls that we purchased and the great memories to go with them.

“The splendid thing
about falling apart
silently...
is that
you can start over
as many times
as you like.”
― Sanober Khan, A Thousand Flamingos

and if it ends there will be new things to love... new dolls to entice us and we will always love what once was.

“The most important thing is this: to sacrifice what you are now for what you can become tomorrow.”
― Shannon L. Alder
and be sides.. if it does end.. in the future we may see it again.. better than ever ( star wars anyone? Transformers? Countless other francises that have been re re re re built)

If it ends.. it ends on a good note.. it was fun and positive and we will go on to more great things.
if it doesnt end and all of us nay sayers have to eat our words well that will be great too.
I really am good either way.. it was fun while it lasted.. I'll miss it.. but i look forward to what comes next.

I'm ok with it because we got way too many Ula's, Clawdeen's and Frankie's...I just wish we got more Rochelle's Venus's, Catty's before it ended...
I would have liked at least one more catty in her new out fit.. have they announced this 2018 is the end? offically?

No there has NOT been ANY official announcement about MH ending, it is ALL speculation. In fact I read somewhere recently that we're getting another series of Ghoul Squad in March 2018.
I do however think that Mattel dropped the ball a bit with the first series of Ghoul Squad, I think that they should have rereleased the core dolls in updated GS packaging along with reboot sig versions of Deuce, Catty, Toralei etc.
Wait what?
So is it or is it not ending? cus now I'm tres confused.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2017, 06:33:24 AM »
There's never any confirmation about Mattel's brands dying. Not ever.

I can believe it either way, but they won't out and say it.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »

IMO, Monster High's increasingly limited releases *could* be a sign it's over, but you never know.
I feel the toning down of the line hurt it the most. (again JMO)

I went to Target last week, hoping to find the reboot sigs, but no luck.  Just the Monster Family stuff, minis, GG minis, and one Garden Ghouls regular doll (Cleo).  Our Walmart only has the Monster Families, emoticon (?) and fearleading dolls.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:25:43 AM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Zeowitch

• The other De Nile
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • This is me in all my .........errrrrrrr.....glory?
    • View Profile
    • Notrenlim Phoenix Tradition
« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2017, 12:04:32 AM »

IMO, Monster High's increasingly limited releases *could* be a sign it's over, but you never know.
I feel the toning down of the line hurt it the most. (again JMO)

I went to Target last week, hoping to find the reboot sigs, but no luck.  Just the Monster Family stuff, minis, GG minis, and one Garden Ghouls regular doll (Cleo).  Our Walmart only has the Monster Families, emoticon (?) and fearleading dolls.

Here in South Africa we only have the Scarrier Reef and a few Electrified dolls on the shelves. Thats it. EAH we only just got Dragon Games and Epic Winter. It really is very sad.
Have a Monsteriffic Day!
xxx
Z

Offline Pawsome

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
  • Shout-out to my best friend for keeping me sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2017, 06:25:28 AM »

Here in South Africa we only have the Scarrier Reef and a few Electrified dolls on the shelves. Thats it. EAH we only just got Dragon Games and Epic Winter. It really is very sad.

Throwing my observations into the bucket: I'm in America, and I went to Target the other day, only to find a few of the Garden Ghouls tiny bug girls, the Cleo and Draculaura Monster Family play sets, and one Great Scarrier Reef Toralei. There was no EAH whatsoever (not even the budget ballet). Instead, the aisles were dominated by Barbie, Disney, and Kuu Kuu Harajuku, with an entire aisle dedicated to Our Generation. It was an unfortunate shopping day for me, to say the least. ^^;
"My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice.” -Newt Scamander

Instagram: bobbyhashobby

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 19, 2017, 07:04:20 AM »
EAH is non existent in Target and Walmart stores around me.  Haven't been to TRU in ages (too far away) so I don't know if they still have em or not.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 19, 2017, 06:55:57 PM »
One Walmart near me added a spot for the Garden Ghouls.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2017, 05:41:32 AM »
One Walmart near me added a spot for the Garden Ghouls.
my target just added the family packs and pegs for something else.. ugh im still confused.

Offline bewilderness

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Ponies and Monsters, oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Camp Crafty
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2017, 07:01:54 AM »
The only place I've seen the Garden Ghouls at is Target.  Neither Walmart or TRU here have them.
Pony patches and MH & EAH sewing patterns on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/hiddendoors
Blog: https://campcrafty.wordpress.com

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2017, 07:37:34 AM »
The only place I've seen the Garden Ghouls at is Target.  Neither Walmart or TRU here have them.

Same. We just now got Cleo months later, when any interest I had is gone :/
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
I'm not even sure the Target we go to has spaces for the others.  We've seen Treesa and the bugs, but not the ghouls.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2017, 01:14:24 AM »
I get the impression that they're responding to falling sales by deliberately scaling back a ton of the line- releasing 2-3 sets per year instead of like fifteen. Avoiding overdoing it so that what's there has a chance to sell out before they make the "hot new thing". At least they released a recent movie (though Disney Fairies released its last movie just as the franchise was axed).

Honestly... I'm not seeing a lot of hope in the franchise's future, even though they just "Rebooted". It seems like Rebooting things is the last-ditch effort to "save" what I didn't think was even failing. I know it was doing a bit less business, but Mattel might just be following the death of EAH by consolidating and getting back to basics (ie. Barbie) or just focusing entirely on DC SuperHero Girls.

The cynic in me wants to predict that in 3-4 years, we won't be seeing any new MH stuff on the shelves at all. Certainly, the "fad" of Monster High has been over for a long time, and the "collectors" aren't there as much. It's not the "in" toy for little girls as much as it was even a couple of years ago, and that's not a good sign- the toy industry moves pretty much ENTIRELY on fads, and only "Boy Toys" get to stick around year after year with constant updates and new TV shows. I can easily see Mattel dropping MH in a couple of years if sales continue to fall.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
...the toy industry moves pretty much ENTIRELY on fads, and only "Boy Toys" get to stick around year after year with constant updates and new TV shows. I can easily see Mattel dropping MH in a couple of years if sales continue to fall.

There are numerous girls' lines which have lasted for years—or even decades—off of reboots and retoolings.  MLP, LPS, and Barbie immediately spring to mind.  Hell, Barbie is one of the greatest success stories in toy history.
And likewise, there are plenty of once-popular boys' lines that failed to withstand the test of time and couldn't be revived by attempted reboots (i.e.: Thundercats).

If Mattel does pull the plug on MH, I don't think that gender will have had anything to do with it.

Offline DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • RequiemArt.com
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2017, 04:44:21 AM »
As far as sales, I can tell you MH patterns are doing much better than they were last year/this spring.  At the beginning of the year the MH size was 2/10 for 'most popular patterns' and now it's 5/10.  There was a really big drop for about a year after the reboot, but things have gradually improved.  They don't dominate like they used to, but I'm no longer thinking that I might have to stop making them regularly.
Check out my Etsy Shop for custom dolls and doll clothes patterns!

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »
There are numerous girls' lines which have lasted for years—or even decades—off of reboots and retoolings.  MLP, LPS, and Barbie immediately spring to mind.  Hell, Barbie is one of the greatest success stories in toy history.
And likewise, there are plenty of once-popular boys' lines that failed to withstand the test of time and couldn't be revived by attempted reboots (i.e.: Thundercats).

If Mattel does pull the plug on MH, I don't think that gender will have had anything to do with it.
I agree with you on this.   We have to remember that these are for kids, and kids' tastes change as they grow.  If a little girl is playing with MH now, and she's age 5, by the time she is 8 or 9, odds are likely she'll have moved on to something else.  I don't like the reboots but I know they are necessary for a toy to thrive in the industry. At least Mattel is giving MH another chance.

Offline Catsiy

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
I just got the toys'r'us lookbook for christmas in the mail today and there wasn't a single monster high doll or item in the book. Enchantimals was the closest thing.
I think it's dead D:
I've got stuff to trade! Take a look!
http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,11341.0.html

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2017, 03:16:57 PM »
I just got the toys'r'us lookbook for christmas in the mail today and there wasn't a single monster high doll or item in the book. Enchantimals was the closest thing.
I think it's dead D:

There's no Descendants or Kuu Kuu Harajuku in there either and neither of those is dying. They only devoted 1 page to fashion dolls that aren't Barbie or Disney Princess so of course they are only going to pick the top 3. I mean yeah MH is definitely not the #2 doll brand any more and a shadow of its former glory but it's only dead when they stop releasing new stuff and new stuff has been confirmed for 2018.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 30, 2017, 03:50:48 AM »
...the toy industry moves pretty much ENTIRELY on fads, and only "Boy Toys" get to stick around year after year with constant updates and new TV shows. I can easily see Mattel dropping MH in a couple of years if sales continue to fall.

Well, My Little Pony has really only had the one reboot that stuck. "Boys Stuff" gets endless repeats of TMNT, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Power Rangers, etc. (I've witnessed the long, slow death of TMNT in my early teens, then watched at least three reboots; Transformers has been rebooted about a dozen times in that span). While the occasional line gets dumped (still no Dino-Riders or Visionaries... *sob*), almost all of the big names get another shot a few years down the road (He-Man, Thundercats). I mean, the Boy stuff often gets TONS of chances to sell.

Barbie is, of course, the ultimate legend in "always sticking around", but in that case, it's the exception- the doll industry- and Mattel in particular (who had no issue dumping He-Man when the new show didn't work out the way they'd hoped), tends to default "Back To Barbie" when things are going weaker for the other lines. So yeah, I should have added that as an exception :).

I'll confess to ignorance about LSP (Littlest Pet Shop?)- I've only seen two variations of that line.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 30, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Well, My Little Pony has really only had the one reboot that stuck.

This is inaccurate.  MLP's only truly unsuccessful reboot was G3.5, which only lasted for a single year. 
G2 was not very popular in the US and was only produced from 1997 to 1999 here.  But it was quite popular in Europe, where it continued to be produced up until 2003 when G3 was introduced. 
G3 lasted from 2003 to 2009.  And G4 has lasted from 2010 to present.  That's a six-year run for both G2 and G3, and a seven-year run for G4 to date.

I'll confess to ignorance about LSP (Littlest Pet Shop?)- I've only seen two variations of that line.

Since LPS was introduced in 1992, the line has seen a total of seven incarnations, including the original run under the Kenner division, one hard reboot, and five soft reboots.

"Boys Stuff" gets endless repeats of TMNT, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Power Rangers, etc.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has had four reboots to date, including the TMNT film and the Bay-produced live-action movies.  That's the exact same number of reboots as MLP.
I'm not especially familiar with the history of G.I. Joe, but I'm only aware of six reboots to the original 1960s-1970s line: A Real American Hero, Extreme, Sigma 6, Resolute, Renegades, and the live-action films.
I wouldn't consider either TMNT or G.I. Joe to have had "endless repeats".  No more so than the girls' lines that we've discussed.

Now Transformers I'll give you.  It's a damn powerhouse with more reboots and offshoots than I can count.  (It has had 23 animated series alone!)
I feel like Transformers is for Hasbro what Barbie is for Mattel.  They seem to pour all of their attention and energy into keeping Transformers alive at all costs.

Power Rangers is a bit unique.  It's a westernized version of the Japanese Super Sentai series, and it gets a new series in the West every time that a new Super Sentai series comes out in Japan.
None of the other shows/toy lines that we've discussed have been quite like this; and it's near impossible to say if Power Rangers would have been rebooted as many times as it has were it not for the ongoing success of Super Sentai.

While the occasional line gets dumped (still no Dino-Riders or Visionaries... *sob*), almost all of the big names get another shot a few years down the road (He-Man, Thundercats). I mean, the Boy stuff often gets TONS of chances to sell.

It may appear as though the same does not hold true for girls' lines, but it does.  Strawberry Shortcake is a great example of this.  Strawberry had an extremely successful run in the 1980s and then completely died off.  It was revived in 2003 and has been relaunched twice since.

If you're largely unfamiliar with the history of girls' toy lines and are more familiar with boys' lines, then I can see how it may appear as though boys' toys get more reboots, more chances, and have greater longevity than girls' lines; but this really isn't the case.
It would be completely moronic for toy manufacturers to alienate such an enormous demographic of potential customers by focusing all of their efforts on boys' toys and allowing girls' toys to fall by the wayside.  These companies' foremost concern is making bank, so they're going to do whatever it takes to make a successful toy line last for as long as possible, regardless of which gender it's being marketed to.

But we have greatly digressed and need to get back on-topic now. ^^;
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:51:37 PM by SaelaVe »