collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: How is MH Doing? Popularity, Sales, Overall, etc.  (Read 18876 times)

Offline pinkbird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fangtastic
    • View Profile
Re: How is MH Doing? Popularity, Sales, Overall, etc.
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:57 AM »
Kids in Turkey seem to still love the Monster High dolls, seeing how the Fierce Rockers 2-pack was sold out within a month of arriving here in many stores I've been to. And how the reboot Cleo dolls disappeared quickly. (I wasn't able to find any pre-reboot Cleos either, not even one - I guess people love Cleo here?) Whenever I'm at a toy store, I see quite some kids around the MH shelves.

I noticed the dolls get bought mostly before special days though... Like New Year's Eve and winter break time. On other times, I can browse the toys peacefully, since the stores are mostly empty. :)

I have to say that the shelves spared for MH get smaller and smaller in some stores. One of the supermarket chains stopped stocking the dolls after the reboot happened. Another chain is clearancing the last dolls left in their stores. (Which is mostly Great Scarrier Reef, Haunted Kiyomi & Porter, Monster Exchange Marisol & Lorna.)

Great Scarrier Reef has been a true shelfwarmer, along with Monster Exchange Marisol and Lorna. I keep seeing those everywhere. Playsets also seem to be difficult to sell, since they are expensive.

Offline RochelleGoyleFanatic

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
It's not just MH that shelf warms, I've noticed Barbie does too!

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »
Kids in Turkey seem to still love the Monster High dolls, seeing how the Fierce Rockers 2-pack was sold out within a month of arriving here in many stores I've been to. And how the reboot Cleo dolls disappeared quickly. (I wasn't able to find any pre-reboot Cleos either, not even one - I guess people love Cleo here?) Whenever I'm at a toy store, I see quite some kids around the MH shelves.

I noticed the dolls get bought mostly before special days though... Like New Year's Eve and winter break time. On other times, I can browse the toys peacefully, since the stores are mostly empty. :)

I have to say that the shelves spared for MH get smaller and smaller in some stores. One of the supermarket chains stopped stocking the dolls after the reboot happened. Another chain is clearancing the last dolls left in their stores. (Which is mostly Great Scarrier Reef, Haunted Kiyomi & Porter, Monster Exchange Marisol & Lorna.)

Great Scarrier Reef has been a true shelfwarmer, along with Monster Exchange Marisol and Lorna. I keep seeing those everywhere. Playsets also seem to be difficult to sell, since they are expensive.

How much are the dolls over there?

Offline pinkbird

• Fangtastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »

I'm going to get some help from Google here, converting Turkish Lira to USD. :P

Budget lines (like Geek Shriek, Freaky Field Trip) are roughly 9.3 USD.
Deluxe lines (like Gloom and Bloom, Monster Exchange, Art Class) would change between 14.6 USD - 16 USD.
Playsets... Well, I saw the 13 Wishes playset with Spectra and Freak du Chic playset with Rochelle at a store today. They were priced around 27.9 USD.

That's pre-reboot though. The unarticulated reboot dolls are sold for the pre-reboot articulated budget doll price, from what I've seen.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »

I'm going to get some help from Google here, converting Turkish Lira to USD. :P

Budget lines (like Geek Shriek, Freaky Field Trip) are roughly 9.3 USD.
Deluxe lines (like Gloom and Bloom, Monster Exchange, Art Class) would change between 14.6 USD - 16 USD.
Playsets... Well, I saw the 13 Wishes playset with Spectra and Freak du Chic playset with Rochelle at a store today. They were priced around 27.9 USD.

That's pre-reboot though. The unarticulated reboot dolls are sold for the pre-reboot articulated budget doll price, from what I've seen.

Oh that's a fair amount cheaper than stateside. Thanks for sharing :D

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
Here's how it is in my neck of the woods;

In some TRUs, Freaky Fusion refuses to move. Tons of boy two-packs. I see some older random dolls pop up now and again. I'm going to Smyths on Tuesday to see what they have lying around and maybe go to a TRU if I can. In discount stores, I'm finding New Scaremester, some Picture Day, Freaky Fusion AGAIN.

In the big supermarkets, it's DIRE. Only some of the new slimbox MH figs, and they are stuck on the bottom shelf, only 2-3 box space wide. I keep hoping that Party Abbey will show up, but it looks like that will never happen. Asda was bad with their dolls as their toy section is tiny, but Tesco normally has a big range and I'll never forget the excitement of seeing Geek Shriek Abbey in the wild. Heck, Tesco is where I STARTED collecting MH with Coffin Bean and Music Festival Abbey, plus Avea. Now it's so sad and heartbreaking to see only a couple of cheap slimboxes and 1-2 Party Dracularas  :cry:

MH sometimes shows up in Poundland, and that for me is the bottom of the pile. Usually lines go to die in places like B&Ms (nothing there except Freak Du Chic, Londoom 3-pack and one other kind I can't remember) but that's embarrassing. MH seems to be dying in the UK from what I see.
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline pinkbird

• Fangtastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
I visited a nearby toy store today and it looked like a storm had passed through the place. The toys were thrown all over the place and there were many children... The Monster High shelves were almost completely empty, with the exception of a couple of reboot Frankies here and there. (The last time I was there they had lots of WTMH and First Day Of School dolls.) I guess this further proves that MH is doing well here. :D

(That also means I'll have a lot of trouble finding things I'd like to have the next time I go doll hunting.)

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »
Here's how it is in my neck of the woods;

In some TRUs, Freaky Fusion refuses to move. Tons of boy two-packs. I see some older random dolls pop up now and again. I'm going to Smyths on Tuesday to see what they have lying around and maybe go to a TRU if I can. In discount stores, I'm finding New Scaremester, some Picture Day, Freaky Fusion AGAIN.

That's pretty crazy, 'cause I've been trying to get my hands on a Sirena Von Boo, but she's nowhere to be seen. I have to rely on eBay for my dolls because while I live in Boo York, I live in The Middle of Nowhere.

Oh, and Geek Shriek Ghoulia, who is a slimbox doll and should be like $10 is selling for around $60 online because she's nowhere to be flipping seen!
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline astranova

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 05:56:00 AM »
I cant say about USA and other world, but can about Russia.

Popularity maybe is kinda decreased a little, but reboot dolls is hardly to find in the shops sometimes. They brought a lot of dolls, but Shriek Wrecked is OOS quickly, Welcome To Monster high Dance Line - too. But old dolls still in the sale - like GSR line. (tons of Clawdeen and Ula, nobody wants to grab them...). Art Class is still here.
I still trying to catch new Cleo or Moanica. Electrified Silvi is out of stock quickly too.

If records of mattel are true, sales are grow up a little to MH and Barbie in the end of 2016. They have a crisis in 2014-2015 you know (when Barbie sales is fallen down on Christmas).

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
Where I live MH isnīt very popular, but if someone sells at 5 euros they will disappear.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Beast Friends
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »

GSR seems to have been a unanimous shelfwarmer internationally. I really don't understand why! It was one of my favorite lines ever to come of MH! :( So many innovative and elaborate new character designs, and even returning characters were given a fresh look... I wish I knew why it ended up being so unpopular...  Was it just because the line was released when MH's sales in general were lagging, pre-reboot?

Offline writtenhuman

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2017, 06:34:41 PM »

GSR seems to have been a unanimous shelfwarmer internationally. I really don't understand why! It was one of my favorite lines ever to come of MH! :( So many innovative and elaborate new character designs, and even returning characters were given a fresh look... I wish I knew why it ended up being so unpopular...  Was it just because the line was released when MH's sales in general were lagging, pre-reboot?

I didn't buy a lot just because I'm not a big fan of mermaids (I only have Sirena for myself for mermaid dolls, and one of the GSR for customizing) but I don't feel like children are losing interest in mermaids, so I have no clue. I don't interact with kids pretty much ever these days, so I could be wrong though.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
Things are continuing to deplete. :(

Target has even less and less new stock, and MH is now down to roughly 1/4 of an aisle, shared with the few EAH dolls they have left. Big W has shrunk to a slightly larger amount of space in their aisles, with mostly Shriekwrecked stock, and a few of the unarticulated basics. Kmart has almost nothing. They had a total of five dolls in stock when I went on Friday, and they no longer have shelf signage for anything but those dolls.

Offline writtenhuman

• Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
Out of curiosity, will it help to buy dolls at full price when possible? I know adult collectors are a small part of the group buying them, but I keep trying to think of things I can do to help support the brand.

Offline justkitter

• Recovering Completionist
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »

I didn't buy a lot just because I'm not a big fan of mermaids (I only have Sirena for myself for mermaid dolls, and one of the GSR for customizing) but I don't feel like children are losing interest in mermaids, so I have no clue. I don't interact with kids pretty much ever these days, so I could be wrong though.

This is just my opinion, but the fish tails were a hard sell for me.  Redressing mermaids just isn't fun.  I do give Mattel credit for all the fun and interesting ways they designed the dolls, but at the end of the day, you can't do much with them.  I love shoes, and all the different clothing options for the entire bottom half of the doll, and I miss it when i look at this line.  How many times can change a top before you pass out from boredom?

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
Out of curiosity, will it help to buy dolls at full price when possible? I know adult collectors are a small part of the group buying them, but I keep trying to think of things I can do to help support the brand.

I really don't know. I've been doing it where it's worth it to do so, but it's now pretty much impossible if I don't import to get the dolls I'm actually still interested in. At least, within Australia, prices have skyrocketed with the reboot.

I bought the Zomby Gaga doll when I found her, despite the high price tag, but other dolls either aren't coming here (we never got the Fierce Rockers, for example), or are now so overpriced that they're not worth buying (GSR dolls are still $26+ "on clearance" at TRU).

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »

Honestly, no it won't.  Even if all of us committed to only buying dolls at full price, we're simply not a big enough group to impact sales on a large enough scale.

And we've become an even smaller group since the reboot.  A lot of us aren't collecting reboot dolls at all.  And for those of us who are, there are many among us who are no longer interested in owning each and every new doll like we used to be (or even one of each new character).

When you factor in the amount of profit that Mattel needs to see in order to justify producing new dolls, it becomes clear how little we adult collectors are actually bringing to the table.
Between its release and 2013, Monster High netted upwards of $500 million (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/07/17/mattel-2q-profit-falls-barbie-sales-slide-again/2523879/).  That's more than $160 million a year. 
Those are the figures that Mattel is trying to maintain.  Not tens of thousands of dollars, but rather hundreds of millions.  There's simply no way that we alone can provide that for them.  If our purchases impacted the brand by that much, then the reboot wouldn't have happened at all.  The line would've been doing perfectly fine on our support alone.  If we couldn't save it before, we certainly can't now.
:holiday: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :holiday:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »
Either people hate Abbey here, or the reboot Abbey appeals to no one, because her Dance the Fright Away doll had been sitting at $4 for over a week and there are still three.  Singing Ari still has 2 dolls sitting at $5, but no one loves gimmick dolls, at least not here.  Most everyone else knocked down to five or less, including the shelf sitters like GSR, have actually moved.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline writtenhuman

• Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2017, 08:44:31 AM »
Either people hate Abbey here, or the reboot Abbey appeals to no one, because her Dance the Fright Away doll had been sitting at $4 for over a week and there are still three.  Singing Ari still has 2 dolls sitting at $5, but no one loves gimmick dolls, at least not here.  Most everyone else knocked down to five or less, including the shelf sitters like GSR, have actually moved.

Man, and I snatched her up right away. The reboot doesn't seem to be doing much good for the brand though...

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »

Man, and I snatched her up right away. The reboot doesn't seem to be doing much good for the brand though...

Agreed, the reboot really isn't helping much, though some still do fly off the shelves.  Lagoona and Cleo have always been hard to find around here.  I can't remember how Abbey did before reboot. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone