collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

August 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: How is MH Doing? Popularity, Sales, Overall, etc.  (Read 34406 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: How is MH Doing? Popularity, Sales, Overall, etc.
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2017, 06:37:27 PM »
Honestly, back home (Sydney, Aus), it's not lookin too peachy for MH. Stock has pretty much stagnated; the only trickles we get of new
dolls are the major lines (and sparsely distributed at that), shelf spaces for the line is constantly shrinking with some stores completely devoid of MH now when there used to be at least some and MH dolls everywhere  are shelf sitters (the store I used to work for even  had G&B dolls still in stock!)

I think they've just... cut Australia entirely as a market. Or at least it feels like it

And I'm smad because the one reboot doll I REALLY wanted - Music Class Cleo - never came there.

Can confirm. Haven't seen any new stock since Electrified landed, and that line is already in the Reject Shop for half price. No sign of the new siblings or the fairy line, etc.

I'm not keen on the reboot and likely wouldn't buy much of it, but I am sad to see the brand disappearing entirely. The only store with decent amounts of stock is TRU, and they've "clearanced" everything that they are selling (eg: knocked $5 off and will probably ship it back to the distributor at the end of the month). And their stock is still maybe two dolls per release, through half a dozen releases, and a slew of the two-packs and ILF Iris and Wydowna. So maybe 30 boxes all-up?

The aisle that used to be all MH and EAH is now a tiny sliver of MH, no EAH at all, a bunch of Miraculous Ladybug, a couple of MC2 dolls, the dregs of their Shibajuku Girls stock, and the opposite side is now 100% frozen. It's very sad. I only really go there for Black Series figs, now.

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Desert Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2017, 04:17:32 AM »
Honestly, back home (Sydney, Aus), it's not lookin too peachy for MH. Stock has pretty much stagnated; the only trickles we get of new
dolls are the major lines (and sparsely distributed at that), shelf spaces for the line is constantly shrinking with some stores completely devoid of MH now when there used to be at least some and MH dolls everywhere  are shelf sitters (the store I used to work for even  had G&B dolls still in stock!)

I think they've just... cut Australia entirely as a market. Or at least it feels like it

And I'm smad because the one reboot doll I REALLY wanted - Music Class Cleo - never came there.

Can confirm. Haven't seen any new stock since Electrified landed, and that line is already in the Reject Shop for half price. No sign of the new siblings or the fairy line, etc.

I'm not keen on the reboot and likely wouldn't buy much of it, but I am sad to see the brand disappearing entirely. The only store with decent amounts of stock is TRU, and they've "clearanced" everything that they are selling (eg: knocked $5 off and will probably ship it back to the distributor at the end of the month). And their stock is still maybe two dolls per release, through half a dozen releases, and a slew of the two-packs and ILF Iris and Wydowna. So maybe 30 boxes all-up?

The aisle that used to be all MH and EAH is now a tiny sliver of MH, no EAH at all, a bunch of Miraculous Ladybug, a couple of MC2 dolls, the dregs of their Shibajuku Girls stock, and the opposite side is now 100% frozen. It's very sad. I only really go there for Black Series figs, now.

Yeesh. I better get off my butt and try to get Treesa and the bug pixie girls while I'm here in London then.
Sugar, Spice and everything Feist!

Offline taffeta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2017, 08:20:12 AM »

Yeesh. I better get off my butt and try to get Treesa and the bug pixie girls while I'm here in London then.

Treesa is at Smyths, I've seen her at Friern Bridge. I haven't seen the bugs at all here though yet.

Also I had forgotten about the music class Cleo. Never saw that in the UK either. Though I admit I wasn't looking...

I am waiting to see what weird old stock TRU here pulls out and discounts for Christmas this year. Last year it was GNO :/
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline AllHallowsEve

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »
Really collecting isn't about what is on shelves now but an ongoing love of anything irrespective of whether it is or isn't still available. For me MH has all the hallmarks to make the same transition G1 MLP did from toy to collectable, but there is a transition period in which a lot of dolls will be sold off, collections liquidated, people drifting away. And then it will rebuilt again as the kids who grew up with MH come back into it and look to collect once again.

I may be wrong but that is the future I see for this community. But I deal in long term possibilities, because I'm a G1 pony collector who has been resolutely keeping G1 alive since 1994. I'm not really interested in whether there are ponies on shelves now or not. I sometimes buy a G4 and I keep up to date on what is out so people know but I don't feel anything particularly when I see them. They're MLP but not the MLP I collect so it's not necessarily the same thing.

I just wanted to say I thought what you said here was great and as a new collector of Monster High (despite it being deemed near its end and not cool by some now) I found your post very comforting and inspired me to not care about what some people have said and simply enjoy that I've now found it and ok I might not be able to go buy loads of the shelf but the hunt for older ones from other sources is fun and I think the dolls are beautiful and it's ok if I still want to get them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:49:59 PM by AllHallowsEve »

Offline Cwyatt6911

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
Monster high downsizing in stores
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2017, 02:50:09 PM »
Any one else notice the stores downsizing the section of monster high products? I was in Walmart yesterday and the had a good section just for Monster high, went back today and all the old stuff was off the shelves and new product was on but like only a thrid of the section was left and not anything really good. They put the new bus out, draculaura and her dad set and a spot for a family 2 pack. All the rest were the $5 dollar dolls that I don't really like, and no minis what so ever. I am upset, and I've noticed this with many stores in my area. There is a toys r us that only has an end cap for monster high and not even the whole end cap, just the bottom three shelves. Maybe we should just have a monster high only store. I would like that.

meeging with the "how is MH doing?" Thread since the subject matter is essentially the same - Melissa, Monster Discussion mod
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:43:21 PM by Melissa »

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
I'm really in love with this vibe of long term collecting. It's depressing to see what MH was at its height (like it was almost the whole aisle at Target!) to less than a 4-foot section now. It feels good to hear from people, though, saying these kinds of things!

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Monster high downsizing in srores
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
Itīs happing the same. :cry: no new characters or dolls.

Offline taffeta

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »
Really collecting isn't about what is on shelves now but an ongoing love of anything irrespective of whether it is or isn't still available. For me MH has all the hallmarks to make the same transition G1 MLP did from toy to collectable, but there is a transition period in which a lot of dolls will be sold off, collections liquidated, people drifting away. And then it will rebuilt again as the kids who grew up with MH come back into it and look to collect once again.

I may be wrong but that is the future I see for this community. But I deal in long term possibilities, because I'm a G1 pony collector who has been resolutely keeping G1 alive since 1994. I'm not really interested in whether there are ponies on shelves now or not. I sometimes buy a G4 and I keep up to date on what is out so people know but I don't feel anything particularly when I see them. They're MLP but not the MLP I collect so it's not necessarily the same thing.

I just wanted to say I thought what you said here was great and as a new collector of Monster High (despite it being deemed near its end and not cool by some now) I found your post very comforting and inspired me to not care about what some people have said and simply enjoy that I've now found it and ok I might not be able to go buy loads of the shelf but the hunt for older ones from other sources is fun and I think the dolls are beautiful and it's ok if I still want to get them.

You're welcome xD Collect what makes you happy. Actually for a collector it is probably the best time, when other people lose interest, as they will turn up more on second hand markets. And that's actually more fun in some ways...you never know what treasure you might turn up.

Though it will be sad if we lose the community for a bit, I think there will be people who will stick it out...
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
I've heard they put the Minis with the blind bags in some stores.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline AllHallowsEve

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
You're welcome xD Collect what makes you happy. Actually for a collector it is probably the best time, when other people lose interest, as they will turn up more on second hand markets. And that's actually more fun in some ways...you never know what treasure you might turn up.

Though it will be sad if we lose the community for a bit, I think there will be people who will stick it out...

That's great to hear I feel as long as lovely people like yourself remain here the future is bright. I was feeling a little apprehensive so many toy shops recently have them on clearance and people in the shops have basically said we are getting rid of them as no one wants them and I kinda panicked but then I really thought who cares I like them and want them still and that should be all that matters I am so glad there is like minded people here.

Offline AllHallowsEve

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Re: Monster high downsizing in stores
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
Any one else notice the stores downsizing the section of monster high products? I was in Walmart yesterday and the had a good section just for Monster high, went back today and all the old stuff was off the shelves and new product was on but like only a thrid of the section was left and not anything really good. They put the new bus out, draculaura and her dad set and a spot for a family 2 pack. All the rest were the $5 dollar dolls that I don't really like, and no minis what so ever. I am upset, and I've noticed this with many stores in my area. There is a toys r us that only has an end cap for monster high and not even the whole end cap, just the bottom three shelves. Maybe we should just have a monster high only store. I would like that.

I've sadly noticed it  :cry:and would also love a monster high only store

Offline taffeta

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »

I haven't seen minis in the UK anywhere since wave 1.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2017, 03:49:59 PM »
Mmmhm. All the MH sections in the stores near me has been getting smaller and smaller for a while now :( It's awful.

Oh thank god it's not just me XD I was starting to worry that maybe it was just me. The only store that has them anywhere near me is an ASDA maybe.. 30, 40 mins away, and they literally just have a plastic box full of wave 1s that's been there for months, doesn't look like it's been touched or anything.

I wonder why they barely got released over here :( I don't want to import them, but it's looking more and more like I'll have to..

Offline taffeta

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »
Mmmhm. All the MH sections in the stores near me has been getting smaller and smaller for a while now :( It's awful.

Oh thank god it's not just me XD I was starting to worry that maybe it was just me. The only store that has them anywhere near me is an ASDA maybe.. 30, 40 mins away, and they literally just have a plastic box full of wave 1s that's been there for months, doesn't look like it's been touched or anything.

I wonder why they barely got released over here :( I don't want to import them, but it's looking more and more like I'll have to..

I got some of wave 2 from someone in the UK on ebay who by the packaging had imported them from Canada. They were a little more than retail but factoring in importing costs and such I would have paid more to get them from overseas so I went for it. I got almost all different ones in the bags I bought (one double of Twyla with glittery hair) but that has only made me want more of them. I am very mad at Mattel for this distribution decision. :(

Not even any wave 1 minis here. I never got the original release of Skelita or Rochelle, two I wanted. I did get a Skelita and Rochelle in the wave 2 bags, but it's not the same thing. And my quest for all the Abbeys is well and truly lost :'(
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline taffeta

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »

That's great to hear I feel as long as lovely people like yourself remain here the future is bright. I was feeling a little apprehensive so many toy shops recently have them on clearance and people in the shops have basically said we are getting rid of them as no one wants them and I kinda panicked but then I really thought who cares I like them and want them still and that should be all that matters I am so glad there is like minded people here.

Well, Ghoulia is my favourite character, and I'm in the UK, so I'm already screwed on 2 counts in terms of in store stuff xD. No Ghoulia in the reboot except the Origins set not sold in the UK...(at present). But that means it's time to go hunting up the old Ghoulia dolls that I like. Or maybe an army of sig Ghoulia zombies. I'm so very tempted...;)
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: Monster high downsizing in stores
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
On the inventory sheet here, there's a shelf that's mostly super hero girls with a space for a Family 2 pack, then below it, it's maybe two thirds of a shelf for the budgets, and that's it.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline dfotw

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2017, 04:24:30 PM »
Today I went to the Mattel outlet and they had the same WTMH stuff, and GSR on clearance. I asked the salesman if they were going to keep bringing MH or not, and he said that he didn't think so. Unless there's a surprise in November and new stuff comes for the holiday season, there won't be any new Monster High stuff for Colombia. :(

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2017, 06:14:43 PM »
Our TRU hasn't even bothered updating the MH section :/ they half stocked Descendants 2 stuff as well but I think that's a little less dire.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »
Our TRU hasn't even bothered updating the MH section :/ they half stocked Descendants 2 stuff as well but I think that's a little less dire.

I'm seriously worried about the health of our TRU. There are a lot of new things they haven't gotten in yet. I don't know that it is doing too well.....

Offline Shuga

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Too busy playing with my dolls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »
It's grim at my two local Walmarts. Had nothing the super-budget dolls, and JUST the Deluxe Electrified dolls on the shelves. Everything else was marked to 50% in the clearance.