collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
[22] 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: Jointed Leg Broken at the Hip - Is it Fixable?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
Jointed Leg Broken at the Hip - Is it Fixable?
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
I have a doll with the newer legs that are jointed versus the band method. As soon as I took her out of the box the leg fell off. Apparently the little plastic piece glued over the joint to hold it in place was glued rather poorly. So now the leg is detached, and I have no idea how to fix it, or if fixing it is even possible.

Any suggestions?

Offline OMGitsaLisa

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
Re: Jointed Leg Broken at the Hip - Is it Fixable?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
I have no idea how to fix it, but I can say that my experience with Mattel customer service was amazing. I emailed them about a weird looking stain on the face of a CAM set I bought on Amazon and, no questions asked, they sent me a whole new CAM set since they didn't have just the one piece to replace. If it broke straight out of the box, I imagine they'd be just as helpful to you.

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
    • Mistakenolive's Wall o' Stuff on Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
Can you take pictures? That might help us brainstorm a solution.
♥♡♥

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
Lisa: Unfortunately it's a SDCC exclusive so I'm not sure if they would be able to help! But I suppose it's worth a try.

Angel: I do have some photos I'll upload shortly.

Offline michelle53

• Mistress of Fakies
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • I threw it on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
If its who I think it is, I'm going to throw up.
Avatar drawn by Qba016 on DeviantArt

Amazing Thranduil/Jinafire siggy made by the incredible ebmerc

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
If its who I think it is, I'm going to throw up.

Yes, your assumptions are correct. I can't believe it happened as I was opening her too! It's not like I even dropped her or anything! The glue must have not been applied properly or something.

It'll be a bit tricky to squeeze in there to glue it, and I'm not even sure what glue would be appropriate.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:11:07 PM by tuneful87 »

Offline michelle53

• Mistress of Fakies
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
This makes me cry.  Please someone help!!! 

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »

Oh sweetie, calm yourself! Hehe. I'm sure I'll figure out a solution. I was watching something interesting on youtube about soldering plastic together using a plastic wire tie. (Although I'd probably only resort to that if desperate, and I'd test it beforehand).

Offline michelle53

• Mistress of Fakies
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »

Oh sweetie, calm yourself! Hehe. I'm sure I'll figure out a solution. I was watching something interesting on youtube about soldering plastic together using a plastic wire tie. (Although I'd probably only resort to that if desperate, and I'd test it beforehand).
I'm sure you'll figure out something!  I'm trying not to be too upset, but man is that a sad sight Tuney. 

Offline pukunui

• Some Arena Guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • there has been an awakening
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »
Oh noes!!! That's terrible. I'm sure if you contacted Mattel, they'd just give you a $25 voucher. That's what they did last year with Scarah any time someone contacted them with an issue. A homegrown solution will definitely be in order. I'd suggest trying some really strong glue, like Araldite. You can apply it with a toothpick or something. If that doesn't work, then you might need to do something a little more drastic, like drilling some holes and putting some bits of metal in there to help hold it in place.

Now I've gotta cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happen to my gal. She's been mailed off today. I'm thinking she might arrive by the end of the week.

Offline SilkSpun

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Vampire Slayer
  • *wiggles*
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:56 PM »
To fix it first I'd stick the broken piece onto the white leg joint with just a little rubber cement - just enough to hold it in place. Then dab super glue onto the curved edge of the broken piece and the inside of the leg joint area in the hip - the areas where the two pieces should meet. Carefully stick the joint in place, making sure the two pieces are attached firmly, and let the superglued pieces set. After it's completely set, swivel the leg to "rub off" the rubber cement, which should come free. You should probably test it with JUST the rubber cement to make sure it'll come loose first, by dabbing a little onto the broken piece, gluing it to the leg joint, then swiveling it off by hand.

I hope that makes sense! If you need a better description I can draw a diagram. Good luck, I hope you can fix this!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:36:43 PM by SilkSpun »

Offline michelle53

• Mistress of Fakies
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
That sounds like a great idea Silk!  Have you tried it before on a doll? 

Offline SilkSpun

• Vampire Slayer
  • *wiggles*
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »
That sounds like a great idea Silk!  Have you tried it before on a doll?
Nope, that's just what I brainstormed from looking at the pieces! :P Since it looks like you have to sandwich that little broken piece between the joint and the hip, using rubber cement is the best way I can think of holding it in place in order to glue it down...

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 05:50:13 PM »
To fix it first I'd stick the broken piece onto the white leg joint with just a little rubber cement - just enough to hold it in place. Then dab super glue onto the curved edge of the broken piece and the inside of the leg joint area in the hip - the areas where the two pieces should meet. Carefully stick the joint in place, making sure the two pieces are attached firmly, and let the superglued pieces set. After it's completely set, swivel the leg to "rub off" the rubber cement, which should come free. You should probably test it with JUST the rubber cement to make sure it'll come loose first, by dabbing a little onto the broken piece, gluing it to the leg joint, then swiveling it off by hand.

I hope that makes sense! If you need a better description I can draw a diagram. Good luck, I hope you can fix this!

OK, I think I get what you're saying. It's going to be super tough since it's such a cramped area, but I'll give it my best shot. My friend is going to help me (same friend who once helped me screw a Spectra's leg in at the knee) so hopefully between the two of us we'll be able to make it work. We're going to try it on Friday and we'll see what happens. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation! I now realize just how careful I have to be. Too much glue in the wrong place, and her leg will never be able to move at all!

Offline BlueChaos

• Crazy Werecat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sister Pack
  • Wait...what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
Oh no. I would be sobbing.

For this kind of thing, I like the products of JB Weld or Loctite plastic bonder. Both can be found at hardware stores or maybe WalMart. JB Weld products can be drilled, filed and painted. The thing about them is it's permanent, for good or bad.

Best of luck, hope you can get her fixed.

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »
Oh noes!!! That's terrible. I'm sure if you contacted Mattel, they'd just give you a $25 voucher. That's what they did last year with Scarah any time someone contacted them with an issue. A homegrown solution will definitely be in order. I'd suggest trying some really strong glue, like Araldite. You can apply it with a toothpick or something. If that doesn't work, then you might need to do something a little more drastic, like drilling some holes and putting some bits of metal in there to help hold it in place.

Now I've gotta cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happen to my gal. She's been mailed off today. I'm thinking she might arrive by the end of the week.
I think he should still contact Mattel, and then continue to pursue ways of fixing her. That way, at least he gets a voucher for his trouble.

Offline pukunui

• Some Arena Guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • there has been an awakening
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
I think he should still contact Mattel, and then continue to pursue ways of fixing her. That way, at least he gets a voucher for his trouble.
Oh sure! I wasn't suggesting that he not contact them; just that they won't be sending him a replacement doll or anything like that.

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »
Oh yes, I already messaged Mattel as well. It was a good suggestion!

Oh, how I do hope we get a mass release for Wydowna someday! It would be interesting to see her with different hairstyles and makeup...and then we wouldn't have to worry about her breaking and not being able to get a replacement easily.

Offline SilkSpun

• Vampire Slayer
  • *wiggles*
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
Oh yes, I already messaged Mattel as well. It was a good suggestion!

Oh, how I do hope we get a mass release for Wydowna someday! It would be interesting to see her with different hairstyles and makeup...and then we wouldn't have to worry about her breaking and not being able to get a replacement easily.
I really really really hope they re-release her, since I LOVE her sculpt. I'm beating myself up over not getting her when she was available for a reasonable price (especially since I have friends in san diego! argh!)... but I did only really get into MH about a week ago, so it couldn't really be helped, lol! :P

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »
There is still time, SS!

I'm so nervous about gluing this leg. One mistake and her leg might never be able to bend again *bites nails*

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue before. I'd love to know how they fixed it.