collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

July 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: Finished: Madison, Zori, Grimmily & Boo-Lu. Next: kind campaign ghouls  (Read 10930 times)

Offline Soulspice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Hi!
Recently some bug bite me and suddenly I want all the "official custom" characters:
-Kind Campaign (Molly and Lauren)
-Grimmily
-Boo-Lu
-Madison
-Zori Weatherbolt

So, when I tried to know which doll Zori was, everything pointed to the brain-Inner Monsters, but none matched her eyes or hair at all.
After carefully looking at her and the pics, I've seen her jacket symbol is a cloud with lightning and raindrops, and realized her eyes had the cloud and raindrops.
She can't be rerooted, so Imma do a wig for her, and I already painted her eyes and lips to match the original. Also used Catty and Meowlody spike bracelets and ordered her clothes to a custom maker.
Oh, also painted the transparent torso to match her skin, which shows a little on the neck and belly.

Here's a progress pic. I'm waiting for the hair to arrive and do the wig!
I'm attaching all the pics Tori put online.
I've also bought tinsel hair, she has highlights like Abbey. But it's my first time making a wig, so wish me luck!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:31:36 AM by Soulspice »

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Zori Weatherbolt: doll identified and custom progress
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »
Great stuff!  This sounds like a really fun project.  I'd like to do Grimmily-Anne myself, but my custom plate is currently full.  Keep us updated!
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »
Oh she's looking fantastic!  I can't wait to see how she turns out! :D

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Soulspice

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Kind campaign ghouls customs - Project started!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 07:51:47 AM »
Hi!
As I told you with Zori custom, I'm trying to make all the official custom characters into dolls, and that includes the Kind Campaign episode Ghouls.
They don't have in-universe names, so I'll stick to their real ones, Molly and Lauren.

I've already ordered their hair in two colors, and I'm creating the accesories at the moment. Molly's are finished, I hope you like them!

I made quick photoshop manipulations to see how they would turn out. I'm using Honey for Molly.

Offline KustomKara

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
Re: Kind campaign ghouls customs - Project started!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:30:07 AM »
I for one cant wait to see these ghouls complete! And i think Honey swap is perfect for them.

Those shoes look amazing!!!

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »
What a kewl idea!  I've thought of making dolls of them myself, but not sure who'd be a good match for a body.  Did you use Honey's, and if so, did you alter it in any way?
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 02:29:10 PM »
Great idea, thanx for sharing this!  I've looked at pics of Zori, hoping to make one of my own too. I  also tried to watch the video showing what they did, and it looked to me like they used the Inner Monster Spooky Sweet doll.  I couldn't see any tinsel in her hair, but I did see crimped and braided lavender streaks.

I bought a nude IM SS missing her lower arms & hands.  Can you tell us what color paint(s) you used to paint her torso?

Can you also show how you'll be making the wig?  I've been trying to figure out how to add the crimped/braided streaks to a wig, as well as trying to find a wig in the right shade of pink.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:39:16 AM by Wuvmykitties »

Offline Soulspice

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
I haven't started, but Imma get Honey face repaint, and her body will be covered by clothes so I don't think any alteration needed.

BUT, I need your help!

I have a doubt about their hairs.
I was going to just mix two colors (darker and lighter) and reroot, but now that I'm looking at them, I think they have big chunks (streaks?) of each color separated in their hairs. The blue one has one color each side, and the green one has the same color on both sides of her head.

So, what do you think? Should I reroot them with separate chunks of hair (like in the ugly drawing), or just mix both colors kinda like highlights?
Thanks!

Offline Soulspice

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »
I hope you see the tinsel hair in those shots I'm attaching:

For her torso, I just mixed blue and white acrylics until I found the most exact color. I think I added a bit of yellow.

As for the wig, I'm trying this tutorial myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PQQJgrCSKg

That's part 2, when adding hair, but part 1 shows you how to make the cap.
By looking the video, it looks very simple. Let's see how it goes once I receive the hair.

I'm buying from aliexpress the pink and purple, in 2 shades, cos maybe they change in person from the picture.
It's about 2$ each, free shipping, 15cm x 1meter.
http://es.aliexpress.com/item/15-cm-longitud-1-unidades-natrual-negro-marr-n-verde-rosado-azul-rojo-blanco-color-grueso/32669707778.html

Tinsel hair here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281557141857

And to add the crimped and the tinsel, I will be doing it in the video part 2 process when doing the parting line of her hair. Fingers crossed!

I've even bough a crimping machine lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Ceramic-Hair-Crimper-Crimping-Iron-Mini-Perm-Splint-Hairdressing-Tool-Salon-/231938339258?hash=item36009a31ba:g:PZAAAOSwt7pXL~pD
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:05:06 PM by Soulspice »

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »
Just my 2 cents' worth:

I would root them with separate chunks...but if you prefer her to have highlights instead then go that route.  It depends on how you like it.  If I were to do it, I'd do separate chunks because I want her to look as much like the original as possible.

Also, and this is again JMO, I would use Lagoona for the bodies, since a) she already has the right ears and b) she has the webbed fingers.  You'd probably need to lightly recolor one of them. I wonder if you could use a CAM harpy head for one of the girls?

Offline Soulspice

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
Well, I was gonna use this one's ears for them, as they have the ears popping out of hair:

I gotta find a method to create the webbed fingers, cos I want to use Honey for its color, and the Color Me Sea cam for the blue one.

And yeah, I think I'm gonna do color chunks.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:26:47 PM by Soulspice »

Offline KustomKara

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 09:11:42 PM »
If you are trying to do webbed fingers, you could use Lagoona's hands and just switch them out. I think Lagoona is a safe bet. (I'm selling one if you are interested, PM me. Sorry I only have 1. ) I gave the other one to a child.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 12:20:35 AM »
Well, I was gonna use this one's ears for them, as they have the ears popping out of hair:

JMO again, but Lagoona's ears are more in proximity to where they should be on the Kind girls.  However, she might be useable.  You could make a hole next to her ears and place the "antennae" or whatever they are (sorry, don't know what they're called on top of her head) there.  I'm not sure if the Color Me Creepy dolls have hard or soft heads, so not sure if that is do-able.  She might need a wig too, in that case. 

Another idea, and I am not sure if needed, is to re-sculpt a bait Lagoona's face, especially the cheekbones, to more closely match the girls.  But this takes patience and skill.  There's a tutorial on resculpting faces here:
http://www.dirili.com/mh/index.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:36:07 AM by Wuvmykitties »

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 12:41:47 AM »
I'm not sure that's tinsel, but I hope it is.  I also hope you get the color seen in the pic.  Chinese sellers often send products not matching the color or description.

I also noticed her lavender streaks are actually crimped, not braided as I originally thought.  I need glasses!

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »
I'm going to merge this thread into your Zori Weatherbolt thread since both dolls are from the same "series".  That way you'll have one project journal thread for all of the ghouls belonging to this set. :)

~ SaelaVe, Customs Mod

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Soulspice

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Re: Customs in progress: Zori, Madison, Grimmily, Kind ghouls & Boo-Lu
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »
Question: for Madison, I've realized her official custom had scale legs. And none of their customs made by fans did the same.
I'm gonna use Jinafire legs in a Cleo body, but how can I change her legs without breaking her?
I haven't seen this on the tutorials topic.

Thanks!

Offline ponycatmeow

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 08:26:04 PM »
Question: for Madison, I've realized her official custom had scale legs. And none of their customs made by fans did the same.
I'm gonna use Jinafire legs in a Cleo body, but how can I change her legs without breaking her?
I haven't seen this on the tutorials topic.

Thanks!

Try heating them in boiling water then popping them off. If that doesn't work you might have to open the seams on the side with a dremel tool

Offline Soulspice

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »
Will try.
Any idea where to find Boo-Lu's bowler hat? I found a pretty one but it's Barbie size :(

Offline Frankie Fine

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Vampire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 07:12:45 PM »
You should use Lagoonafire's legs for Madison since they're already blue. Plus the legs will have holes for fins, and I think Madison has fins. I believe Lagoonafire comes with gold fins but you could probably switch them with another clear pair.

You could probably get a cheap Lagoonafire at a thrift store or something. It wouldn't matter if she was missing arms or had messed up hair as you would just need the legs anyway.

Good luck!

Offline Soulspice

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »
Thanks for all the advices!
Slowly progressing, some hair arrived but not sure on all the colors:

Main color the middle one. The redish and darker are shades.

This one made me sad. The lighter looks like the pic, but the other is too dark to use on her. Dunno what to do, can't find another shade to buy!

Love the colors. I'm not gonna use the fourth one, as its beautiful and all the custom makers used it, but she doesn't really have that color

The pink I got is too bright, so just ordered a lighter one