collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: The "adult" coloring book craze: are you into it?  (Read 11033 times)

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: The "adult" coloring book craze: are you into it?
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »
I look forward to it! You've got me rethinking my coloring book approach!

I have one that's French stuff. I'll have to dig it out again. Where DID I stash that thing???

Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time doll enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »
Esbayne, I've been following your Murloc's progress on DeviantArt.  Holy cow, man!  That is some serious skills.  Every time you post another progress pic I sit at my PC with my mouth hanging open in awe. LOL
:leaves: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :leaves:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline QuirkyCat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »
Esbayne that looks fantastic so far. It's going to look so cool once your done. :)

Online Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »
I look forward to it! You've got me rethinking my coloring book approach!

I have one that's French stuff. I'll have to dig it out again. Where DID I stash that thing???

Lisa
Esbayne, I've been following your Murloc's progress on DeviantArt.  Holy cow, man!  That is some serious skills.  Every time you post another progress pic I sit at my PC with my mouth hanging open in awe. LOL
Esbayne that looks fantastic so far. It's going to look so cool once your done. :)

OMG!!! Thank you all so much!! I'm so insanely flattered it's crazy. Thank you!

I actually just came to this thread to post an updated photo lol! I did the arm while waiting for my boyfriend to get off work. We both work at this crazy great tea factory, today he worked two hours later than me and he's my ride so I brought my coloring stuff and listened to music and did that while I waited for him. And popped back in every once and a while to "bug" him... Lol.

Edit: New update, sorry it's blurry! Went with my boyfriend while he was working on his car to hang out with him and his brother, brought this for something to do and got the hand done.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:40:17 PM by Esbayne »

Offline AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
  • Needs More Cat
    • View Profile
    • The Cabaret Outside of Time and Space (aka my doll blog)
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2017, 03:15:54 AM »
I love using coloring to manage my anxiety, but for me the 'adult' coloring books don't do it-- I'm just not into all those intricate little patterns, they visually garble the overall picture to me and I just find it unpleasant to look at the lineart, let alone try to color it.

What I like are the Dover coloring books-- there are intricate details where intricate details might belong, but it's not detail for the sake of having itty-bitty spaces to color in, no patterns that make me feel dizzy/uncomfortable. The subjects are still interesting to me as an adult-- when I had my gallbladder out, I got one that was all Mucha's art to color, and each page is one-sided so I can use marker and not worry about bleed-through. There are illustrations of Shakespeare's plays, fashion through history, architecture... all kinds of things I really dig, and that let me feel like I am an adult who enjoys coloring instead of feeling awkward and childish.

If all the intricate patterns work for most people, then I mean... I'm definitely for people coloring what works for them. For me, the trendy adult coloring books add to rather than mitigate my anxiety, and I've been disappointed by some that I thought looked beautiful at first, but in going through them they just had too much going on for me-- I don't think they're all ugly or anything, just a bit headachey for me personally, with my personal set of processing issues that get worse as my anxiety does.
Love is all you need to destroy your enemies.

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2017, 05:14:45 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Esbayne, fantastic work on the hand!! I'm glad there was a 'before' (blank) reference pic to compare your finished work with. Have you done more since the hand? I'm curious to see how you'll do the hat.

AnnetheCatDetective, thanks for mentioning about the Dover books! Also things I'd like coloring.

Offline Shahaila

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »
Esbayne, your coloring skills are off the charts beautiful  :)

I had been real curious about getting an adult coloring book for a long time and a couple of months or so ago I finally broke down when Hobby Lobby had some for sale.  I also got some markers (set of 30) there for 50% off.  I think I spent like $11-12 total.  Nothing fancy did not want to spend a lot of money, but I have to say I really enjoy it and find it very relaxing.  I picked one of the more abstract intricate books because I like just getting lost in the shapes and letting my mind wonder free.  I usually color one a week or so.  It really is good for reducing anxiety.  When I am done with a coloring session I usually feel quite calm and serene.
"I have no particular talent,
I am passionately inquisitive" Albert Einstein

Online heftysmurf76

• Blue People Lover
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • StepFATHERS are the most wicked of them all!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2017, 11:13:58 PM »
Esbayne your skillz are mad off the chart!!!

I'm glad to see this thread pop up again, it's reminded me I need to do more coloring, I got a ton of books for xmas (including a marvel comics one!) and haven't been doing it as much as I was, need to pick it back up again!

Online Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
WOW, thank you all so much! :biggrin: I really didn't expect so much positive feeedback.

DogMom- this is all I've done since the last photo, I work so much all week that I get stressed out and take my day or two off to just relax and chill with my boyfriend for a few hours or run errands, so I haven't gotten to do a whole lot of art stuff recently. Being so busy and stressed really sucks the ambition out of ya, plus I just moved a couple weeks ago.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:57:07 PM by Esbayne »

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Esbayne, I totally hear ya about vegging to combat work stress! Sorry it's sucking so much.  :(

I REALLY appreciate the WIP pics, and would love to see any and all you feel like posting. But don't feel obligated! No stress!

It's like a faceup tutorial...it's helpful to see how the layers build up.

You have totally made this simple 2D image come to moving, breathing life.

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
I love love love adult coloring books, and I'm not even eighteen yet! I particularly love the Mandala coloring pages. A cool thing I discovered is to make a copy of each page before I color it, that way if I mess up, I can start over! :)

Offline Listie

• Down Undah Diva
  • Frankie Stein Fanatic!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »
Can I revive this thread? I've been doing some colouring in of the Harry Potter & Fantastic Beasts colouring books this week. I've been in a depressive funk recently & sick with a cold several times this year, so it's been good to do something productive & take my mind off of things.