collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: The "adult" coloring book craze: are you into it?  (Read 10888 times)

Offline whimsiary

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
    • Instagram!
Re: The "adult" coloring book craze: are you into it?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »
Will love to see your pics Whimsiary when you get a chance to post them!

I grabbed the two I like working in best. I JUST got my Alice book today, so I'm pretty excited to start in it, although I have to flatten it out -thanks USPS for rolling it up to fit in my tiny mailbox. I really appreciate that. :hmm: I've included the covers in case anyone is interested. I can highly recommend the Dover books (historical fashion plates?1 yes please!), and Comickers is my absolute fave. I bought it almost 4 years ago now, and paid about 20 bucks, but it looks like it's pretty cheap on Amazon now. :)

Here you go:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I'm really bad about ever actually finishing.  :sheepish:

Sometimes when this place gets kinda empty ~ The sound of the breath fades with the light
I think about the loveless fascination ~ Under the Milky Way tonight

Offline Howls-wth-Wolves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Freaky Fabulous
  • Go ghouls!! Hockey ghoul in the house
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
I've always loved coloring, so these would be a perfect fit. Though honestly I prefer markers to pencils. And I doubt most of the adult ones would stand up to that. Which is frustrating cause I want to color.

Offline bewilderness

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Ponies and Monsters, oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Camp Crafty
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 08:25:32 PM »
I think they're really cool but I wish they weren't so expensive.  I've got a couple of free adult coloring apps on my tablet that I've used some.  Unfortunately I can't print them out.  It would be so cool if there were Monster High coloring books, either in this style or just a basic kid's coloring book (why are there no MH coloring books?!)

If you take a screenshot on your tablet you should be able to print the screenshot!

Thanks!  I'll have to try figuring out how.  I've never had a tablet before so I'm still learning my way around it.

I've got a really neat Lisa Frank coloring book that came with paperdolls and maybe some stickers I think.  And I've got a mini Lisa Frank and mini Frozen coloring books.  Love the Amy Brown coloring book

I want some Copics SO BAD.  Right now I've built up a small collection of Spectrum Noir, Bic Mark-its, and Sharpies to work with until I get better with alcohol-based markers.  Till then I just can't justify the price.  I do wish the adult coloring books were single-sided so I could use the markers on them.
Pony patches and MH & EAH sewing patterns on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/hiddendoors
Blog: https://campcrafty.wordpress.com

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 09:55:13 PM »
Most of the adult coloring books I have (and I have about 20 or so now, because I like to hoard things that please me) ARE single sided pages. A lot of them will state that they are on Amazon, too, if that's something specific you're looking for.

I haven't been coloring lately, because my motivation to absolutely anything productive has been non-existent, but if I start up again I want to buy these ones, first:

http://smile.amazon.com/Kawaii-Coloring-Book-Containing-Japanese/dp/1519666411?ie=UTF8&colid=KYFNFPA0BNIR&coliid=I1J1MSZQ4TSXOJ&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

http://smile.amazon.com/Shades-Kawaii-Cute-Colouring-Book/dp/1516928407?ie=UTF8&colid=KYFNFPA0BNIR&coliid=I1YUQG6Y5ZHPD4&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

http://smile.amazon.com/Shades-Kawaii-Cute-Colouring-Book/dp/1519327587?ie=UTF8&colid=KYFNFPA0BNIR&coliid=I2K37NUR88QCY2&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

The first one doesn't look as intricate as I would like, but I think I'd still enjoy it, because of the subject matter.

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline Myrcury

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Official Candy Ghoul (says Dfotw!) <3
    • View Profile
    • Myrcury's Toybox
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 11:41:24 PM »
I'm not a fan of the really intricate ones other than just a minor glance here and there. I love twirly swirly designs (henna patterns and traditional Dia de los Muertos sugar skull designs own my soul okay?) but I'd prefer to color something more open and graphical, personally.

At the advice/request of some friends though, a few years back, I actually created and had printed and bound about 50 copies of a coloring book that - well - was meant, at first, to be an adult coloring book... but ended up kind of a mix. There were a few more intricate pieces in there, like a face painted up for Dia de los Muertos, and a couple of witches with complicated hair and such. But then it had pumpkins and bats and cute Halloween things. And zombie mazes and word scrambles. hehe. :) I ended up selling all copies so I guess I'm not the only one who likes to mix it up when I color? ^_^;;

My Sales *** My Trades *** My Wishlist

I'm a fabric hoarder! Need fabric for making doll clothes? PM me, maybe I can help! :)

Offline leenetje

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 02:08:29 AM »
i have quite a few of the adult colouring books (and a bunch of children onces, disney princesses yeey!) the adult books i prefer have scenes to colour, like gardens, or animals. my favourite onces are:

harry potter colouring book for adults
frozen colouring book for adults
harry potter creatures colouring book for adults
animorphia colouring book
the enchanted forest

most of these have actual drawings which i heavely prefer over random designs with swirls and tiny parts.

Offline Ocean

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 04:32:59 AM »
I prefer sticker books (for kids, haven't seen them targeting adults, though I think scrapbooking stickers as similar for adults, but they are costly and I'm not exactly sure how to/if I want to scrapbook).

I have some coloring books from when I was a kid, and I remember enjoying them (especially the ones where the borders were actually ink that would run once you applied water, allowing you to "paint" them in - what happened to those?), but what I really loved were the stickerbooks (and paper dolls).

I did buy one kid's coloring book about a year ago, but I've barely colored in it. I realized I have a perfectionism about it, which is strange, because I've always loved doodling, and perfectionism doesn't stop me from starting that. Maybe I feel with coloring books that the creative part (my fave part) has already been done for me and the only part left is to "make it perfect."

Today's paper dolls now seem to be more like magnet-doll or sticker-dolls, which I find are less versatile and fun.

However, I still have a love of STICKERS!!!! I feel that this, too, has decline from its heyday (shinies! smellies! FUZZIES! what happened to Sandylion?) but I still love it and I like the Panini collectable sticker books (scammy though they might be).

Online heftysmurf76

• Blue People Lover
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • StepFATHERS are the most wicked of them all!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 06:46:08 AM »
I grabbed the two I like working in best. I JUST got my Alice book today, so I'm pretty excited to start in it, although I have to flatten it out -thanks USPS for rolling it up to fit in my tiny mailbox. I really appreciate that. :hmm: I've included the covers in case anyone is interested. I can highly recommend the Dover books (historical fashion plates?1 yes please!), and Comickers is my absolute fave. I bought it almost 4 years ago now, and paid about 20 bucks, but it looks like it's pretty cheap on Amazon now. :)

Here you go:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I'm really bad about ever actually finishing.  :sheepish:
Wow thats a  LOT of good work you've done there, and the shading, etc looks very professional, I don't think I'll be nearly as good the colorist as you, I plan to just fill in the blanks with color, didn't think/realize shading might be involved...we'll have to see how I do! Nice work!

DXGirly those Kawai books look cute, almost wish I had seen some of these before I purchased the one i did, still 5$ is not bad to try something out, if I don't like it I bet I can find someone on here to take the book off my hands if it turns out this isn't for me...

Offline justkitter

• Recovering Completionist
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »
Whenever I've seen adult coloring books in stores, they've always been the crazy, intricate designs that make my brain hurt just trying to see the pattern.  I've never really stopped to investigate further.  I'd always loved coloring as a kid, and still clearly remember a few of my favorite books, sad they are gone :cry:

I never realized there were actual options when it came to these things.  I just typed in my favorite thing to color (FOOD!) and dozens of books popped up on Amazon.  Now that I know they aren't all the same, maybe I'll buy one:)  I've got all kinds of coloring utensils.  I'd love to put them to use.

Thanks everyone for opening my eyes:)

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »
Whenever I've seen adult coloring books in stores, they've always been the crazy, intricate designs that make my brain hurt just trying to see the pattern.  I've never really stopped to investigate further.  I'd always loved coloring as a kid, and still clearly remember a few of my favorite books, sad they are gone :cry:

I never realized there were actual options when it came to these things.  I just typed in my favorite thing to color (FOOD!) and dozens of books popped up on Amazon.  Now that I know they aren't all the same, maybe I'll buy one:)  I've got all kinds of coloring utensils.  I'd love to put them to use.

The most crazy one I've seen is for BBC's Sherlock.

Offline Howls-wth-Wolves

• Freaky Fabulous
  • Go ghouls!! Hockey ghoul in the house
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »

I gifted my BFF the BBC's Sherlock coloring book for her birthday this year. Not to give it away but that is one freaking detailed book. It's not random line art, it's art based on the show and the characters. With some serious minute details.

Offline justkitter

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »
EDIT: Oops

I looked it up on Amazon, and the few pages they show made me see stars LOL

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »

I gifted my BFF the BBC's Sherlock coloring book for her birthday this year. Not to give it away but that is one freaking detailed book. It's not random line art, it's art based on the show and the characters. With some serious minute details.
I'm well aware as I've seen every episode but most coloring books don't take the time to differentiate facial plane depths and individual locks of hair.

Online heftysmurf76

• Blue People Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 08:04:09 PM »
Well my first book came today...so far I  like it, it is stress relieving...I'm not super proud of my first go, but since I ased others to share I figured I should
Before

after:

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »
I ordered three new coloring books from Amazon. They'll be here tomorrow. I got Kawaii Coloring Book, Desserts Coloring Book and Sweet Sweary on Black Paper. I almost grabbed a Deadpool adult coloring book, but I was already spending $20 on the three books, so I didn't want to spend any more.

Offline justkitter

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »
Ooooooh!  I like that Sweet Sweary book!

I think I might put that on my wishlist!

Online heftysmurf76

• Blue People Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2016, 07:56:58 AM »
Ooooooh!  I like that Sweet Sweary book!

I think I might put that on my wishlist!
I was tempted to get the sweary book too, it makes me laugh!

Here's another page I colored, this is for my mom for mothers day, she used to have a Cockatoo...

Offline ponydingens

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
    • Ponydingens' Welt
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 03:22:11 AM »
Wow, that Cockatoo looks beautiful!
Nice and soft colours!

I've got a colouring book for adults
with lots of cat-motives in it.
And I love it!

It's so relaxing to colour in all those funny kitties ;-)!
Perhaps you know the magazin "Flow";
it had some adult colouring books as "Extra" several times.
I haven't coloured in those yet.

But I also need the "Game Of Thrones"- adult colouring book!
I'm so into GOT! <3 <3 <3

Offline Loa

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Freaky Fabulous
  • Queen of Sloths
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 06:40:20 AM »
I love it actually! I've been using Dover Colouring books for about 10 years, but had to import them in.
Now I have a huge range of them (and all over the house >_< ). They do help when I am anxious, stressed or need to give my brain a time out.

Offline QueenGusty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Stone Cold Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
Yes! I love it - I subscribed to Art Therapy which is really quite awesome. I'm hoping to use some of my coloured designs for dividers etc for my planner and stuff. It is actually crazy relaxing which I honestly pooh-poohed a bit when I first heard the claim.

Carrie
"I'm the C to the E-L, L, Y ZOM-BIE. Ain't no other EQG eats brains like me!

I'm a zombie and you're delicious!"

https://www.facebook.com/cellyzombieeatsworld