collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: The "adult" coloring book craze: are you into it?  (Read 11032 times)

Online heftysmurf76

• Blue People Lover
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • StepFATHERS are the most wicked of them all!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
The "adult" coloring book craze: are you into it?
« on: April 26, 2016, 01:42:44 PM »
I keep seeing all these coloring books for adults when I shop online and I know its really popular right now, but I'm wondering, isn't all that intricate coloring sorta confusing? The designs they have in those books look SOOOOOO complicated to me, I don't know that I would enjoy them, and I think I'd rather just do kids coloring books, but I'm not a huge fan of using crayons and would prefer using colored pencils or markers, so I'm at a crossroads...would love to hear if any fellow MH/doll enthusiasts here are into the fad and if so share some of your pics completed works! Also what medium(s) do you use?? XD

Offline bewilderness

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Ponies and Monsters, oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Camp Crafty
Re: The "adult" coloring book craze: are you into it?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
I think they're really cool but I wish they weren't so expensive.  I've got a couple of free adult coloring apps on my tablet that I've used some.  Unfortunately I can't print them out.  It would be so cool if there were Monster High coloring books, either in this style or just a basic kid's coloring book (why are there no MH coloring books?!)
Pony patches and MH & EAH sewing patterns on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/hiddendoors
Blog: https://campcrafty.wordpress.com

Offline whimsiary

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
    • Instagram!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:58:07 PM »
I have several. Several years back I bought The Comickers Coloring Book (http://www.amazon.com/Comickers-Coloring-Book-Magazine/dp/0061242047) which is still my favorite, as it happens to have thick enough paper -and single sided printing -to work with my copics. About a year ago, I picked up two of the Johanna Basford books -the ones that ended up topping the NYT list for a while- and while I like them, the paper quality isn't what I'd like. I can't really use my markers with them, and I'm not as fond of colored pencils, so I don't reach for it as much, despite absolutly loving the designs. I also recently purchase Abigail Larson's Alice in Wonderland (http://www.amazon.com/Alices-Wonderfilled-Adventures-Curious-Coloring/dp/1440346682) coloring book for two reasons: One, I LOVE HER WORK. And 2, she said that the pages would withstand working in Copics! My favorite!

So, I've bought myself 4 over the course of about 3 years. I actually own about 12 because EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHER gave me one for Christmas! Most of which... I don't actually like. :/

When I get home, I'll post some pictures of the ones I've done. I love my Comickers best, but I'm very slow at working in it.

Sometimes when this place gets kinda empty ~ The sound of the breath fades with the light
I think about the loveless fascination ~ Under the Milky Way tonight

Offline bewilderbeastie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • "Taako's good out here."
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr~
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
I bought my mum one she's never used. I can't see myself ever getting into it, tbh: colouring is the bit I hate most about art.
Looking for Scooter Ghoulia's boots, Dexter's glasses, any Gil Webber bits and pieces and Pokémon figures!

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »
Nah, but my mother likes just coloring the children's ones. Ain't no shame.

Offline Claire85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 02:35:27 PM »
I have looked into them, the patterns aren't for me personally.
I think I would get fatigued or dizzy from focusing on the patterns for a long period.
My mom owns one of them, but hasn't used it so.. I don't know.

I like the ones that are actual pictures. I have seen some Disney inspired ones, which I like, but again, they are mostly just patterns.

The only coloring book I have is "for kids" and its Disney princesses. The paper isn't thick so color pencils are what I use, but that's good with me.

I say go for Kids coloring books. They are more fun, personally, and have something that actually resembles a picture.

Offline scoodi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:52:55 PM »
My mom loves 'em, and I've tried coloring with her before but I just can't get into them. I get overwhelmed at all the little pieces and trying to make everything symmetrical. I enjoy coloring kids books though, it's a lot less stressful.  :P

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »
Give me kids' coloring books any day. XD Most of the adult ones I've seen are just too intricate for my taste, and I haven't seen many where the theme/subject appealed to me.
~*{Formerly known as GryffindorHermione}*~

Squirrely's Monster Sales ;; Squirrely's Non-Monster Sales

Online heftysmurf76

• Blue People Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »
wow I didn't expect so many replies!
I think thats the main thing that scares me is what many have mentioned, is that some of the designs are so intricate, I'm not sore that I'll enjoy it but I plopped down 5$ for a n adult one to experiment, I'll post here when I've given it a try, I have a feeling I may resort to going and getting a kids one

I would KILL for an MH coloring boo, I do indeed wonder why there aren't any!!!!

Will love to see your pics Whimsiary when you get a chance to post them!

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »
I love the adult ones with the intricate patterns... I think I would actually get rather bored with kids' ones because there's so many wide open spaces to color, and no patterns to plan out.  ^^;

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
I used to buy myself kids coloring books all the time. Half the fun was altering the original image before coloring. Changing clothing, hair styles, and so on. Not really a fan of the "adult" ones. Feels like they're trying too hard to make it seem "grown-up" to me. If you're gonna color, just own it.  :biggrin:

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
I like to color both kids and adult coloring books. It helps with my anxiety. I have a set of Prismacolor colored pencils, but I need to get more colors before I can use them effectively. But in the meantime I just use my huge box of Crayola crayons. As for the adult coloring books, I am kind of picky about which ones I'll color. I'm not a fan of those mandala or paisley prints. I have several Japan themed coloring books with like cherry blossoms, koi, paper lanterns and dragons. I also have a bunch of flower & butterfly themed books because I find those fun to color. My favorite book at the moment is actually a cheap (like under $5) adult coloring book I got at Walmart that has a bunch of really cute designs like with cupcakes, candy, flowers and fruit. I think it's called "Sweet Wonders" or something similar. They have a bunch of the same series with different themes.

Offline beautiful_monster

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • I want more life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:51:03 PM »
I think they're really cool but I wish they weren't so expensive.  I've got a couple of free adult coloring apps on my tablet that I've used some.  Unfortunately I can't print them out.  It would be so cool if there were Monster High coloring books, either in this style or just a basic kid's coloring book (why are there no MH coloring books?!)

If you take a screenshot on your tablet you should be able to print the screenshot!

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »
For me, it would be more accurate to say I never grew out of coloring books. When I was in high school and college, my classmates would tease me over it, and now it's trendy! My college library used to put out coloring sheets during finals as a stress reliever (well I think they still do actually) and most of the students scoffed at it but I loved it.

Offline Claire85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 07:04:54 PM »
For me, it would be more accurate to say I never grew out of coloring books. When I was in high school and college, my classmates would tease me over it, and now it's trendy! My college library used to put out coloring sheets during finals as a stress reliever (well I think they still do actually) and most of the students scoffed at it but I loved it.

Ok likewise. Then some of my friends realized that it was a lot more fun.
It's a great stress reliever; and short of reading, coloring books was the only thing to do after an exam.
I also take mine on planes and recommend to anyone to do so as well if they are travelling. Cheap, time waster, and compact.

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 07:12:05 PM »
When I have anxiety issues, I have to do something with my hands so coloring has always been a favorite coping mechanism. *high fives*

Also as far as kid books vs adult:
If I want to use colored pencils I do adult books but I use kid books for marker and crayon. I hate trying to do a kids book with a tiny skinny colored pencil tip.

Offline Nclvr619

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 07:19:15 PM »
I'd rather color Lisa Frank and princesses. I still have my jumbo Nick Jr and seseme street coloring book the hospital gave me when I was little and I had to stay overnight. I'll color cookie monster, blues clues and kitties any day !
Hello! I'm seeking a few things, PM me if you have any!
SDCC bw Frankie box and purse    Ghoulia gno -red brain earring   Sig holt hyde - belt , ring                  new clawdeen sports 2pk (dont want clawd)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Beast Friends
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »
Oh, are adult coloring books considered "trendy" now? XD I just thought I was a (bigger) nerd, lol.

I have a pretty severe anxiety disorder, and coloring is a good diversion for when I just need to keep my mind busy. I do have one adult coloring book... It's Faerie themed, with lots of fantasy-style pictures that are detailed, but simple enough to not just be annoying. I use colored pencils for those, since crayons are too big and clunky.

Other than that, I just like to buy the kiddy coloring books that have MLP or Star Wars or something in them, lol. Oh, and this is going to sound super-dorky, but... those velvet poster kits with the markers are fun. XD I like the gimmicky markers that have transitioning colors and things. Plus with velvet posters, you can't really go outside the lines. XD

Online heftysmurf76

• Blue People Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
I'm really interested and GLAD to hear that it helps with anxiety...I could use that right about now, and in the future. I ordered a pretty generic book, I'm hoping its not to complicated or intricate...

Nemesis, that Faerie book sounds neat! do you have a specific name or link for it?

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Beast Friends
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
I'm really interested and GLAD to hear that it helps with anxiety...I could use that right about now, and in the future. I ordered a pretty generic book, I'm hoping its not to complicated or intricate...

Nemesis, that Faerie book sounds neat! do you have a specific name or link for it?

Here's the exact one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Amy-Brown-Magical-Faeries-Coloring/dp/B00OQJSMB0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1461724663&sr=8-14&keywords=Adult+faerie+coloring+book

I know there are several others by the same artist, as well. :) The thing I like about it is that the pictures focus on the Faeries themselves, and minimize the backgrounds. Great for practicing shading technique, too!

Coloring can be a very effective tool for managing anxiety, in my experience. :)