collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

April 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Author Topic: Missing Stands in Australia [Resolved?]  (Read 7677 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Missing Stands in Australia [Resolved?]
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:24:02 PM »
I've contacted Mattel to find out what the story is, but it appears that the Dragon Games dolls may not come with stands on this side of the pond? Both the Raven and Holly I purchased came with scored marks where the stands should be, but no stand in the actual packaging.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

There was no sign of tampering with the packaging when I opened it up, so I'm hoping it was a manufacturing error, but we'll see what Mattel has to say! Going to also check out the local shops to see if other dolls have the same issues.

Timeline of Events:
17 Mar 2016: Purchased Holly and Raven at Big W during sale period; did not notice missing stands until opening the dolls later that evening. No signs of tampering evident in the packages.
18 Mar 2016: Started enquiries with Arena members, contacted Mattel Australia with above info and photos, and created this thread to track events/outcome
19 Mar 2016: Photos of boxes with modified "contents" list added by Lhianneth. Photos from Canada of dolls with and without stands from same location added by Ocean.
20 Mar 2016: Checked Big W and TRU again. DG dolls do not come with stands. All have the new label placed over the old packaging contents. Other dolls seem to still have theirs intact (ie: new signatures Mira and Melody; couldn't find the other new dolls).
21 Mar 2016: Response from Mattel: request for product numbers. Replied with PN for Holly and Raven.
12 Apr. 2016: Response from Mattel: "Those should definitely have stands, please check the box." more or less. Emailed them back with the photos again.
13 Apr. 2016: Mattel responded within 30 minutes of my last email, saying they're sending me two stands for Raven and Holly. Still no word about whether this will be permanent or not.
21 Apr. 2016: Stands have arrived.

Edit to add:
If any other Australia-based collectors have picked up DG dolls, please let me know if yours had stands intact? Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:36:24 PM by Lhianneth »

Offline susanstohelit3195

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Stands in Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:57:32 PM »
I bought a Mira Shards from Bankstown Toys R Us with the stand intact. Maybe there was a bad shipment? :(

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
Possibly! I'm going to head back to that particular Big W and check out a few other shops in the Shire. Just to see if I got unlucky and compare to other dolls (I'm very, very much hoping I got unlucky; we have enough issues with the EAH imports of late as it is).

Offline Pyrefly Projects

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 03:46:39 AM »
My Mira had a stand, my Darling did not. I'm told Mira is probably in a separate assortment to the other girls, and all the things I've read about the DG girls seem to indicate they don't come with stands. Sadly it might be intentional, but I look forward to hearing a reply from Mattel :D

Offline RavenLenore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 06:56:58 AM »
I'm fromAustria and we have that problem too.  I picked up my Raven in december when they first arrived and she came with her stand. A few days ago I was looking at Holly and Darling at Toysrus in Vienna and just two of about 8 Hollys had stands in their package and non of the Darlings. I also heard people complaining in a german group that they received dolls without stands and after asking Mattel they got the reply, that this line doesn't come with stands. So no help there. So the problem seems to be in different countries, my best hunch is, that someone made an error and they somehow forgot about them with the second batch or tried to save money?

Offline Portobella

• Fashion Pack
  • Is it about my cube?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »
Thank you for letting us know about the missing stands, Lhianneth. I haven't picked up any of the DG dolls yet, but do the boxes mention a stand at all? I have a few EAH boxes around, and on the bottom of the ones I have there is a list of contents. I imagine it may be difficult to get a positive response from Mattel if a stand isn't specified on the packaging.

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »
I just bought darling and exclusive poppy and neither have a stand!

I didn't know they didn't come with them... So annoying.
Looking for SDCC Frankie!!!

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
Thank you for letting us know about the missing stands, Lhianneth. I haven't picked up any of the DG dolls yet, but do the boxes mention a stand at all? I have a few EAH boxes around, and on the bottom of the ones I have there is a list of contents. I imagine it may be difficult to get a positive response from Mattel if a stand isn't specified on the packaging.

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't realised there was a list of contents on the box itself. Even after all this time collecting MH. Eesh.

Since that's the case, I think we can now confirm that the stands are definitely being left out intentionally. Here are the photos I just took.

There's a label on the bottom of the box that says the following:

A label to hide the original packaging by Lhia, on Flickr

Under that label is the original packaging:

Mattel Australia is cutting even more corners but keeping prices high by Lhia, on Flickr

So they've decided to cut corners yet again without cutting prices. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am severely disappointed. Guess I'll only be buying secondhand after all.

If Mattel responds, I'll be voicing my displeasure. :/

Offline joey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 06:15:17 PM »
I'm curious if early batches of them had stands?

I just got mine today and I am definitely taking them back.

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »
People from the US said that theirs have stands. Photo reviews show stands as well.

I wish I had noticed that there were no stands before I tore into the packaging, because I feel bad returning already-opened dolls, and I do like them, but I am so annoyed by this. These dolls are already quite expensive in Australia. Cutting out a major accessory like a stand, and leaving the price the same is dirty as.

Offline Ocean

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »
@$#*!!!!!!

This is NOT just an Australia problem, this is definitely a case of Mattel deciding to remove stands from a second batch and NOT changing the price!

Based on my fears of this possibility form what Lhianneth wrote yesterday, I did a panic trip to TRU to check out the two DG gals who I still had my eye on, but who I wasn't planning to buy yet. So this is what I found today, Friday March 18th, 2016, on Canadian TRU shelves:

Two Darlings. Same shelf, same (hefty) price. Left: no stand. Right: stand.

Grrrrrr!! and moving on, here are two Hollys. Same shelf, same hefty price. Left: no stand. Right: stand.

(Let me know if you have trouble seeing where the stands are in the boxes.)

I feel that this is very penny-pinching of Mattel, and deceitful, as well. As this seems to correspond with some seriously disappointing developments in newly-arrived and upcoming EAH dolls, there seems to be a huge cost-cutting maneuver going on that seems to be aimed at widening profit margins - not to offer a lower price to the consumer. At this rate, I strongly suspect Epic Winter is going to Epic Suck (despite Epic High Prices to go with it as if it didn't), and I'm feeling pretty grouchy.

Offline joey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 06:34:39 PM »
People from the US said that theirs have stands. Photo reviews show stands as well.

I wish I had noticed that there were no stands before I tore into the packaging, because I feel bad returning already-opened dolls, and I do like them, but I am so annoyed by this. These dolls are already quite expensive in Australia. Cutting out a major accessory like a stand, and leaving the price the same is dirty as.

It's super shady, they're quite expensive here too. I got them on sale but I still feel annoyed that it's just a single doll in an oversized box priced at 27 retail.

I think this is where EAH and I part ways.

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »

It's super shady, they're quite expensive here too. I got them on sale but I still feel annoyed that it's just a single doll in an oversized box priced at 27 retail.

They're $32 retail here. Sale price was $25. Slim box dolls are $22 retail at most stores. So. Yup.

Ocean added photos to show that the dolls are in fact being re-released sans stands, rather than just released without stands from the get-go. Anyone in the USA able to check their local store to see if the same is happening there as well?

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »

They're $32 retail here. Sale price was $25. Slim box dolls are $22 retail at most stores. So. Yup.

Ocean added photos to show that the dolls are in fact being re-released sans stands, rather than just released without stands from the get-go. Anyone in the USA able to check their local store to see if the same is happening there as well?

Disappointing but not surprising. I read somewhere that labor costs have gone up in China. Mattel has 3 ways they could deal with it. First option, they could keep things the way they are and accept a cut in profits as a cost of doing business. Second option, raise prices and pass the costs on to the consumer so they make the same profits. Or the third option, which is obviously what they are doing, cut corners and keep things the same price while making the same profits.

I actually don't mind that they are cutting things so much as they keep cutting the wrong things, like getting rid of earrings instead of purses. Especially when the purse still has painted details that would be better on an accessory. I'd rather they cut something I don't care about than something important like the stand that I can't even get in the stores.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline nassib

• Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't realised there was a list of contents on the box itself. Even after all this time collecting MH. Eesh.

Since that's the case, I think we can now confirm that the stands are definitely being left out intentionally. Here are the photos I just took.

There's a label on the bottom of the box that says the following:

A label to hide the original packaging by Lhia, on Flickr

Under that label is the original packaging:

Mattel Australia is cutting even more corners but keeping prices high by Lhia, on Flickr

So they've decided to cut corners yet again without cutting prices. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am severely disappointed. Guess I'll only be buying secondhand after all.

If Mattel responds, I'll be voicing my displeasure. :/

woooot?! That's so sneaky!
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 07:56:36 PM »

Disappointing but not surprising. I read somewhere that labor costs have gone up in China. Mattel has 3 ways they could deal with it. First option, they could keep things the way they are and accept a cut in profits as a cost of doing business. Second option, raise prices and pass the costs on to the consumer so they make the same profits. Or the third option, which is obviously what they are doing, cut corners and keep things the same price while making the same profits.

I actually don't mind that they are cutting things so much as they keep cutting the wrong things, like getting rid of earrings instead of purses. Especially when the purse still has painted details that would be better on an accessory. I'd rather they cut something I don't care about than something important like the stand that I can't even get in the stores.

Labour costs in China are going up, yes, but the government there is intentionally driving down the RMB to avoid it damaging the export industry (and dragging the AUD with it; it sucks, a lot in many ways). This particular line also is listed as manufactured in Indonesia on the boxes, dunno about the ones elsewhere/which included stands. They've been using Indonesian factories for some time, so it would make more sense on their profit margins to transfer manufacturing to the cheaper source.

The cuts they're making make no sense, and the fact that they make the cuts in secondary releases of the same line without changing prices is my biggest issue. I will keep these dolls because I like them, despite my irritation about the stands. However, I'd have liked to know beforehand, because it's not even something I would have thought to double check for a deluxe doll before now.

Same as the "rerelease" versions of dolls with items taken away like tights or accessories. It's dishonest marketing, because people rely on reviews, photos, and information about the initial release to make their purchases, and those initial releases no longer line up with how the product looks as little as two months later.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 07:57:11 PM »
We don't really get a lot of replenished stock around here, so we may not have standless fancy dolls, but I know my Justine from Amazon had a stand. That sucks that important features are being cut out of international releases. I'll check if I go out tomorrow.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline joey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
@$#*!!!!!!

This is NOT just an Australia problem, this is definitely a case of Mattel deciding to remove stands from a second batch and NOT changing the price!

Based on my fears of this possibility form what Lhianneth wrote yesterday, I did a panic trip to TRU to check out the two DG gals who I still had my eye on, but who I wasn't planning to buy yet. So this is what I found today, Friday March 18th, 2016, on Canadian TRU shelves:

Two Darlings. Same shelf, same (hefty) price. Left: no stand. Right: stand.

Grrrrrr!! and moving on, here are two Hollys. Same shelf, same hefty price. Left: no stand. Right: stand.

(Let me know if you have trouble seeing where the stands are in the boxes.)

I feel that this is very penny-pinching of Mattel, and deceitful, as well. As this seems to correspond with some seriously disappointing developments in newly-arrived and upcoming EAH dolls, there seems to be a huge cost-cutting maneuver going on that seems to be aimed at widening profit margins - not to offer a lower price to the consumer. At this rate, I strongly suspect Epic Winter is going to Epic Suck (despite Epic High Prices to go with it as if it didn't), and I'm feeling pretty grouchy.

You're lucky you could find the older versions. Things get snatched up so quick around here, that I don't think I'll be able to get them.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 08:05:34 PM »

Labour costs in China are going up, yes, but the government there is intentionally driving down the RMB to avoid it damaging the export industry (and dragging the AUD with it; it sucks, a lot in many ways). This particular line also is listed as manufactured in Indonesia on the boxes, dunno about the ones elsewhere/which included stands. They've been using Indonesian factories for some time, so it would make more sense on their profit margins to transfer manufacturing to the cheaper source.

The cuts they're making make no sense, and the fact that they make the cuts in secondary releases of the same line without changing prices is my biggest issue. I will keep these dolls because I like them, despite my irritation about the stands. However, I'd have liked to know beforehand, because it's not even something I would have thought to double check for a deluxe doll before now.

Same as the "rerelease" versions of dolls with items taken away like tights or accessories. It's dishonest marketing, because people rely on reviews, photos, and information about the initial release to make their purchases, and those initial releases no longer line up with how the product looks as little as two months later.

Tho this could be a simple case of they forgot to pack the stands in this batch and rather than call them back they just put the sticker on them and called it a day?

I'm just trying to stay hopeful because I really like the whole ice crystal kinda thing the Epic Winder dolls are doing and if they cut stands it would be a pain to display them.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline joey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 08:10:07 PM »

Tho this could be a simple case of they forgot to pack the stands in this batch and rather than call them back they just put the sticker on them and called it a day?

I'm just trying to stay hopeful because I really like the whole ice crystal kinda thing the Epic Winder dolls are doing and if they cut stands it would be a pain to display them.

I hate to break it to you, but the packaging list on my box isn't covered up with a sticker, it just doesn't list a stand being in the box. :(