collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 10
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Stories & Destiny (Spoilers up to Dragon Games)  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Snow Musket

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
Stories & Destiny (Spoilers up to Dragon Games)
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:16:11 PM »
For the sake of this I will for the most part only be drawing from animated canon except when otherwise noted.

A lot has changed in Ever After High's status quo since it first got started.  It has made me rethink a few things about it.

We know that the Storybook of Legends in the very beginning of the series is fake.  We only clearly saw the pages for Apple and Raven on it.  Apple signed, Raven didn't.  As of Thronecoming we know that Ashlynn signed the fake book but Briar didn't.  However, being fake throws everything into question regarding that book.

The real book appears in Way Too Wonderland.  We only end up with one person signing: Raven.  We also can fairly safely say that Lizzie's real page definitely listed her as the next Queen of Hearts or else Courtly's plan would have made no sense.  At the end of the special each person's page merges with them.  Which in theory sounds like it should leave it up to the person whether or not to follow their destiny.

Now, some stories should be pretty much okay.  Regardless of where they fall on the Royal and Rebel spectrum all the Wonderlanders seem eager to take their parents' roles.  Other stories are less clear either because, despite allegiance, some characters are unclear about how they feel on their own personal stories, or because some characters want their role and others don't.

Thanks to Dragon Games we now see what happens with one of those stories when not all the participants want it.  Apple White is pretty clearly the new Snow White.  Darling Charming is the new Prince Charming, though in her case we really don't know if this was her original destiny or not.  The previous Evil Queen resumes her role as the new Evil Queen. 

In the fairy tale Snow White is treated like a servant by the Evil Queen.  So, since the story needs to happen and it is doubtful the Evil Queen would get a chance to marry Apple's dad, we have Apple's doubts and fears built up upon and piled on until in a moment of weakness she frees the Evil Queen.  Blackmail and promises from the Evil Queen lets them keep the dynamic of the Snow White character being the Evil Queen's servant and miserable. 

Now Hunter is a Rebel and in more than one story.  So he'd be disinclined to serve the Evil Queen especially since he has no prior connection or friendship with her like he would have if it had been Raven.  So the story needs a new huntsman.  Thus we have Faybelle.  She serves as the Evil Queen's tool until she has a change of heart and helps the heroes.  What makes this really interesting is that Faybelle wants her destiny as the next Dark Fairy, yet she ends up in the Huntsman's role. 

Raven seems like she escapes the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, but she did not.  In fact her role has only shifted.  If you remove Apple and Darling, due to being Snow White and Prince Charming, that leaves Raven, Holly, Poppy, Maddie, Melody, Lizzie and Ashlynn as dragon riders.  That's right, seven dragon riders.  Raven is now one of the seven dwarves.  Which fits as she is always warning about the Evil Queen.  They put Apple in the glass coffin.  It is only with the Disney movie that the dwarves were really considered individuals.  Before that they were more of a group.  This fits the role of the dragon riders.  They are more important to the story as a group of Apple's friends than they are as individuals with Raven serving as the chief dwarf character.

So in the end the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves happened regardless of the desire of the participants.  We had people in roles regardless of whether or not they wanted the role, their original role, or none of the above.

This makes me think that the stories will happen and repeat regardless of whether or not people want them to.  The purpose of the Storybook of Legends wasn't to make sure the stories repeat, but to lock people into specific roles.  Except for the Evil Queen, pretty much every villain is doing hunky dory in Ever After.  While I said I wasn't going to refer to the books, this is the one time I will.  In the books Ginger's mother revealed that since she knew her role in the story she was able to put an escape from her oven, allowing the story to happen but also for her to survive.  She would not have been able to do this if she hadn't already known her role in the story.  By knowing who will have what role and giving them classes specific to that role from a young age they minimize loss of life. 

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: Stories & Destiny (Spoilers up to Dragon Games)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
I think thats a lot about how it works.. but the whole thing now is more about what role they choose to have.
Raven chose too be the leader of the Group of seven, Darling chose to be the "prince". The stories are at least in my opinion.. timeless.. something that like it or not cannot be changed or undone.. they HAVE to happen.
But the interpretation and the roles that each person involved in the heritage of the story plays is largely up to them now.
Example... Briar might go on to be come sleeping beauty, Or perhaps fill another role.. Or maybe a different look at sleeping beauty.. it may not be sleep.. but some other way that she fulfills it.
Like i said.. i think the main point of all of this is now.. that they choose what part they play.. rather than being shoe horned into the parts they thought they had to play.
I dunno if that makes sense but it seems what they are going for.

Offline Ameyal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 05:57:15 PM »
I like your interpretation better than mine: I thought that since the Evil Queen wasn't Apple's "official" Evil Queen, then the one who would wake her up would be "anyone but her actual prince". I was left wondering why their first instinct after Daring failed wasn't for the boys present to try to kiss her up. And then the girls if everyone else failed.

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:44:42 PM »
So, is this the official Dragon Games discussion thread too? I finally watched it on Netflix today. I really enjoyed it.  But, I felt like I missed something.  I've been keeping up with all the episodes but I was wondering how did Raven and Apple and a few others end up with dragons, as in they already had their dragons for what seems to be a while before everyone else got theirs when the eggs hatched?  Maybe it's just to start that part of the story and they just skipped the part about how they got them.

I liked seeing Mira Shards but I was disappointed she was very brief.  I'll admit I did expect Daring to be the one to wake up Apple since they both planned on basically being the next Snow White and Prince Charming and I did expect Dexter to at least try it or the other guys.  So, why did Darling end up waking up Apple?  I thought maybe it was because Darling has sort of played the hero roles a lot (at first in disguise) and she does a lot of the stuff the boys train to do for their future lives, whether it be a Prince or Hero, etc.

I laughed a bit towards the end when the Evil Queen was in the mirror again and she held up the foam finger, cheering for Raven.  How was she actually able to see the game though?  I thought, because it looked like there was a tiny window across from her mirror but she wouldn't be able to see the entire thing from that window I don't think.  Also, I guess enchanted mirrors are easy to come by, because Apple broke the one the Evil Queen was in originally.

I'm glad we got to see more of Daring in this one, I thought he was funny in this one.

A little off topic but I really hope Mattel makes a signature Daring with his usual outfit but I feel like I should get the winter outfit two-pack in case they don't.

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:20:23 PM »
So, is this the official Dragon Games discussion thread too? I finally watched it on Netflix today. I really enjoyed it.  But, I felt like I missed something.  I've been keeping up with all the episodes but I was wondering how did Raven and Apple and a few others end up with dragons, as in they already had their dragons for what seems to be a while before everyone else got theirs when the eggs hatched?  Maybe it's just to start that part of the story and they just skipped the part about how they got them.

I liked seeing Mira Shards but I was disappointed she was very brief.  I'll admit I did expect Daring to be the one to wake up Apple since they both planned on basically being the next Snow White and Prince Charming and I did expect Dexter to at least try it or the other guys.  So, why did Darling end up waking up Apple?  I thought maybe it was because Darling has sort of played the hero roles a lot (at first in disguise) and she does a lot of the stuff the boys train to do for their future lives, whether it be a Prince or Hero, etc.

I laughed a bit towards the end when the Evil Queen was in the mirror again and she held up the foam finger, cheering for Raven.  How was she actually able to see the game though?  I thought, because it looked like there was a tiny window across from her mirror but she wouldn't be able to see the entire thing from that window I don't think.  Also, I guess enchanted mirrors are easy to come by, because Apple broke the one the Evil Queen was in originally.

I'm glad we got to see more of Daring in this one, I thought he was funny in this one.

A little off topic but I really hope Mattel makes a signature Daring with his usual outfit but I feel like I should get the winter outfit two-pack in case they don't.

Raven and Daring are the only two in the beginning of the Dragon Games who have dragons.  The story of how Raven gets Nevermore I think is book only.  Daring is shown with his dragon, Legend, in a few webisodes, but not how he got her.  The rest is explained in the first Dragon Games webisodes.  Legend lays dragon eggs, they hatch, the evil queen as Mira Shards has Fai bel sprinkle growth potion on the baby dragons food and wha-lay, fully grown dragons.  Which is how the Apple and the rest ended up with dragons. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:22:09 PM by Quillette »

Offline Ocean

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 11:52:02 PM »
Snow Musket, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your analysis. I think what you've said makes a lot of sense, and you pointed to some details that fit with the Snow White story that I completely missed before.

Overall, I'm finding EAH movies/webisodes are starting to be considerably deeper and more complex than I originally took it for. I was really expecting candy fluff and tired plots I've seen redone a hundred times over. When a few things started to go a little differently in videos before DG, I took it as meaningless nonsense that would stay as loose ends and never form a coherent storyline (a common aspect in "candy fluff media aimed at young girls" I've seen). But DG went deeper and more novel than I expected, and now you've made me understand that even further. EAH is not as fluffy and loose-ended as I was expecting. I'm really happy that my expectations were too low, and I hope very much that EAH continues on this course!

Offline CinnamonQuill

• Create a Monster
  • Confirmed and serious Bunburyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
I love the idea that the stories evolve over time. It embraces the existence of archetypes, while showing that stories needn't be restricted by them.

Offline Karin_h

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 03:40:01 PM »
I'll admit I did expect Daring to be the one to wake up Apple since they both planned on basically being the next Snow White and Prince Charming and I did expect Dexter to at least try it or the other guys.  So, why did Darling end up waking up Apple?  I thought maybe it was because Darling has sort of played the hero roles a lot (at first in disguise) and she does a lot of the stuff the boys train to do for their future lives, whether it be a Prince or Hero, etc.

I think she was just the fastest to react when Apple started chocking. She reacted in giving her kind of mouth to mouth in a CPR kinda way. It just so happened that she was her "prince" also.

I really loved watching Daring panic about his destiny. x3

Offline offwithherhead

• Stiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 10:26:43 PM »
For the sake of this I will for the most part only be drawing from animated canon except when otherwise noted.

A lot has changed in Ever After High's status quo since it first got started.  It has made me rethink a few things about it. [...]

I won't quote your entire post but I really like your interpretation and appreciate the time it took you to write it up, I didn't notice all the parallels between DG and the Snow White tale before. This is really interesting! I wonder if this means Apple's destiny is basically fulfilled, and her story is over (aside from the happily ever after of course), or if there's the chance it can repeat again. And also, if future specials will have other students fulfilling their destinies in a similar way? Maybe Epic Winter will involve Briar and/or Ashlynn's stories somehow. :)

Offline RodimusKnight

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 07:45:12 AM »
Sticking to the Animated Cannon, and the early episodes I was certainly left with the Impression the Milton Grimm was eventually going to be revealed to be some sort of Villainous Character. I need to go back and re-watch one of the episodes, but I could have sworn that when Maddie brought Raven to see Giles Grimm, it was mentioned that Milton was the one who had cursed Giles with the riddlish speak and hide him away in the secret area of the library.

Plus I thought we saw the Milton's mirror used for  contacting the evil queen cracked at some point too, didn't it?

Offline Karin_h

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 09:34:22 AM »
Sticking to the Animated Cannon, and the early episodes I was certainly left with the Impression the Milton Grimm was eventually going to be revealed to be some sort of Villainous Character. I need to go back and re-watch one of the episodes, but I could have sworn that when Maddie brought Raven to see Giles Grimm, it was mentioned that Milton was the one who had cursed Giles with the riddlish speak and hide him away in the secret area of the library.

Plus I thought we saw the Milton's mirror used for  contacting the evil queen cracked at some point too, didn't it?

He did, but I don't remember if we know this because of a webisode or a movie.

Offline GejiGeji

• Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 08:10:39 AM »
Does anyone know if we are getting more webisodes or is there going to be a drought til Epic Winter?
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.