collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 13
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Mystery Mark on Duchess's face  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Scarlett

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Mystery Mark on Duchess's face
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »
I unpacked my dolls from the bags they were in over Christmas, and I found that my sig Duchess has some strange marks on her face.  I thought it was just dirt to start with (none of the other dolls had any marks that I can see - I checked them over when I saw Duchess's face), but I tried washing it with cold water & a paper towel, and it didn't shift any.
The bag they were all in is a "natural" coloured canvas with red "short ends" of the bag, but she was in the middle, not near any of the sides.

Does anyone have any idea of what it could be?  Or what I can use to remove it?
Any hints gratefully receieved - I don't want to have to buy another of her if I can possibly fix her  :cry:

Offline ponycatmeow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Mark on Duchess's face
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
Hi, Maybe try putting a little pure acetone (not nailpolish remover!) on a qtip and rubbing it on the marks (note that if you accidentally touch her faceup it will also be removed). If that doesn't work, try putting some acne cream on the stained spots only and setting her near a window with sun (you would want to undress her so her clothes don't fade, you can also put something to protect the faceup and hair if you are worried about fading).

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »
It looks like dirt or rust... Some kind of surface stain. I would try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, those things are fab. Just be careful of the face paint because I'm not sure if it would rub that off too.

Offline sleepyowl

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:26:26 PM »
I would try what's already been suggested first, but if all else fails, you can try putting 10% benzoyl peroxide on the stains and leaving the doll in the sun. After a couple hours, wipe the cream off and check to see if it's fading the stains, if it is, then repeat the process until you're satisfied. I say only do this if all else fails because it can potentially harm the doll if you're not careful, especially with certain skin tones... it's more a last-ditch effort thing. I figure if nothing else works, the doll is basically ruined anyway so it's worth a shot, and if it doesn't work it's not that great of a loss.

Offline GejiGeji

• Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
try this thread for help Topic: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,8910.msg198112.html#msg198112
I used the sun fading on my maddie and it turned out great!
It took around a month but it faded completely.

I wrapped her up up toilet paper like a mummy leaving the affected parts uncovered.This was to prevent her face and hair from being faded. Then I just left her by a window. You could also leave her outside I think the process works faster that way. 

I Contacted mattel about my problem and they gave me a coupon to get a new doll I was so happy about that :biggrin:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:54:22 PM by GejiGeji »

Offline Scarlett

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 12:25:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice & hints to fix duchess.  I'll try the sun-fading process tomorrow - I can leave her on the lip of the bath and she'll be out of the way & we won't need to move her around.

GejiGeji - good to see actual pictures of the working fading, thanks!  (and excelletn hint about mummifying in loo paper before leaving in the sun  :))

Offline Ackryllis

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:17:51 AM »
If you do sun fading try first without benzoyl peroxide because as mentioned in the other thread it's bleaching effect might still work even after washing the doll.
One way to protect faceup from fading is painting over it with white ackrylics tough, not 100% sure it works with mh but it's been done with mlp. Tapes and other can turn sticky and do damage because sunfading is a long process.
not 100% sure it works with mh but it's been done with mlp.

Offline mlly

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:11:49 AM »
you can use 10% benzoyl peroxide on her 'cause she's a light flesh-tone color
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 06:37:43 AM »
Would some type of cleaning wipe work on that?  I 2nd the Magic Eraser idea.  I don't think acne cream is necessary since it looks more like just a surface stain to me but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:41:06 AM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Ackryllis

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »
you can use 10% benzoyl peroxide on her 'cause she's a light flesh-tone color
http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html
Still would rather have it as a last resort.
Rather safe than sorry. We still don't know if it has other bad side affects.

Offline Papier

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 04:09:17 PM »
That's so strange, Scarlett, because the exact same thing happened to my Apple - stored my dolls in a box for a few months and she alone came out with those same marks on her face. I've already tried acetone and it doesn't work, so I guess sun bleaching it is.

Offline RavenLenore

• MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
I bought once a secon hand Venus because I needet some accessoires for mine and stored her for a few days in a cardboard box and when I took her out she had two little orange marks. Since I had made a picture before, I knew that they weren't on her before. I tried nailpolish with acetone, but failed. Then I left her a little bit outside and but her on a shelf. Next time I looked at her (at least a week later) they were gone and never returned. Now my black and white Frankie has the same problem, but ir's exactly under her eye make up. She was all along on a ckosed shelf and I didn't try anything yet.

Offline Oberon

• Freaky Fabulous
  • Geeky Just Got Fabulous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 04:30:32 PM »
I need to try this, one of my signature Heath Burns ended up with a weird mark on his face
Geeky Just Got Fabulous!

Offline Scarlett

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice - and I'm pleased my "problem" has given a solution to other's as well.  :)

I'm going to do the sun-bleaching trial, my husband bought me a replacement Duchess for our anniversary, but if I can "fix" her I can at least on-sell her.

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 09:34:15 PM »
So, acne cream then?

I found this yesterday, and I already tried the Mr. Clean magic eraser, so sadly, it's not a surface stain. (It seems to have been a comination of Hunter jacket and his own glasses) At least I can pretend is a birthmark :/