collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Exclusives: Good or Bad?  (Read 4350 times)

Offline paladinheart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Wonky Eyes
    • View Profile
Exclusives: Good or Bad?
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:47:12 AM »
Sorry if you don't agree with this.. but I'd like to see an end to store exclusives. I'm not saying those dolls shouldn't exist, but rather that
all the stores should be able to sell them. At the very least Mattel's online store should also sell them. It can be very difficult to get some of the exclusives, especially when there's no nearby store and their online shop is either too expensive or garbage (Justice & K-Mart anyone?).

Even Wal-Mart's online shopping experience also leaves a little something to be desired.. considering they only had Haunted Rochelle on it for one day, and overpriced if I remember correctly. I didn't even know she was a Wal-Mart exclusive at the time. >.<
There's also the Toywiz listings. I get so tired of seeing those.. Even when I put Wal-Mart items only..
Toywiz... I hate your shop and your atrocious affiliation with Wal-Mart's shop.  :mad:

The only store that seems to know how to do exclusives right is Toys R Us.
Even Target has started to disappoint. They kept Cleo and Jennafire Gloom & Bloom at full $25 retail for so long, and now they're all gone?
But.. of course they keep the listing in their store. "Only available in-store". Yeah.. not going to go on "that" 5+ hour wild goose chase.

Offline Lady Bastilla

• First Wave Dead Tired
  • Hi! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you!
    • View Profile
Re: Exclusives: Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 06:26:24 AM »
I think that the incentive exclusives create to encourage more doll production is good. I think hunting for exclusives is annoying, especially in the age of the internet where people buy twenty of something and jack the price up 300% on Amazon or eBay. (I just missed Starlight Glimmer for $6 only to see her relisted for $26 five minutes later. Can you tell I'm bitter? :lol: )

I would assume that the store(s) getting an exclusive put something into the production cost of making it, taking weight off Mattel's shoulders a bit while also adding "value" to their doll lines for people like us. (Whether we like that or not. Think of how MLP has different ponies that come out in different places--they've been doing that since the 80s and for some collectors getting those is the goal.)

Since we cannot safely predict what the loss of exclusives would do to a toyline, it remains a necessary evil. I don't like it, but I can at least somewhat understand why it exists. The only way to prevent exclusives would be an organized boycott of those dolls, but regular old mom and dad of little Jenny isn't going to be on on the big bad secret, and kids do buy (or at least get) more toys then collectors.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:39:02 AM »
I wouldn't have a problem with Exclusives if more and more toys got properly distributed.

To me, there are two sets of exclusives; Ones that are reasonably okay to find, like Ghoulebrities in Londoom -I can still find these dolls a year later, they were never a huge pain to find. Sure, it's a little annoying having a K-Mart exclusive, especially since ours basically don't stock anything, but I can go online, either here or to the website.

Then there are ones like City Shriekers three pack with Catty that we never got in the states. Or IHF Venus and Cleo - which was so poor, I never saw Cleo in person at a store and we only had three versions of international Venus before never again. Or Ghoul's Alive wave 2, which we got Torelai and Deuce once, but never Robecca.

I've been doing this for three years now, and I can't recall it being THIS terrible, or THIS many lines that seriously go missing at our border when everyone else seems to get them.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline QuirkyCat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »
I hate store exculosives. The stores jack up the prices and some of them are really hard to find.

Offline applejackgirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 08:19:05 AM »
It's smart marketing for a store.  If every other store carried the same thing then you have to compete based on price/sales.  Having a different assortment of product drives interest and sales.  As a collector, it makes shopping a challenge but I haven't really ever minded the hunt.  There are a lot of folks here that help so unless that changes I am okay with it.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
As an international customer ... I HATE it  :mad: I'm lucky so far I've been able to get all the dolls I want and anything that is Wal*mart exclusive will turn up in UK's Asda (like the Wheelin' Werecats two-pack did), but if it's very specific US-centered stores, I have very little chance of getting it outside of fellow hunters or scalpers
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 08:28:10 AM »
Even if they stopped doing official exclusives there would still be what I consider to be "exclusives by default" when only one store bothers to buy an assortment. And exclusives are important because they allow production of more risky things. Do you think they would have made a boy 2 pack if it wasn't an exclusive? I do wish Mattel's own online store would be an exception tho.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 08:35:39 AM »
Even if they stopped doing official exclusives there would still be what I consider to be "exclusives by default" when only one store bothers to buy an assortment.

Yep...i'm looking at you, Fairest on Ice.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 08:50:18 AM »
I find store/country exclusives annoying. It creates a false dolly economy, giving scalpers a target product, and artificially inflating prices on the secondhand market.

There were a lot of world exclusives with MLP in the 80's, which did make collecting them (much later) more fun and challenging- but this wasn't done to purposely make them into harder to find exclusives. It was just how the toy market was back then. World wide releases of toys were much more rare back then. Most countries had their own toy lines and their own versions of wider release toys like Barbie, He-Man and GI Joe.

I feel like a lot of the big companies are exploiting the hobbies of fans and collectors on an industrial scale, and Monster High is no exception.
Have to say I was very disppointed to see MH getting SDCC exclusives.
When I started collecting MH, I hoped it would finally be something fun and inexpensive.
At least Lalaloopsy doesn't seem to have exclusives. (they just have very bad distribution)
Dead things, Mikey! Dead things!!!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 09:43:46 AM »
At least Lalaloopsy doesn't seem to have exclusives. (they just have very bad distribution)

That's because Lalaloopsy has declined a lot. Back in its heyday there were quite a few exclusives. There were the Target exclusive holiday Minis and occasionally there would be an exclusive large doll. The only exclusives I strongly dislike are the ones for membership clubs. Otherwise I accept it as a way for them to be able to take risks. I don't think a boy 2 pack would have seen a regular release. As it is it kinda shelfsat.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 09:54:55 AM »
I can't stand store or "con" (like SDCC) exclusives.  Especially if it's a new character, like Gilda and her sole release only in a Target 5 pack...or Manny along with Iris...OR a lesser produced doll like Swim Class (?) Holt being a Justice exclusive.  That one REALLY bugged me since Justice isn't easy for me to get to, and I was never able to get him for retail complete.

Scalpers seem to love to take advantage of exclusives too, with their hoarding and re-selling at ridiculous prices.  This was true with Haunted Rochelle (she never showed up at any Walmart I visited), and is true ATM with the Maul Monsteristas supposedly being a Target Exclusive per their site, but trying to find the pack or even one of the dolls from it at retail is impossible, and the only sellers who have it on eBay want $100 for all 5 dolls and $30 on average for a single doll.

Post Merge: January 23, 2016, 09:57:29 AM

Quote from: Wardah link=topic=10832.msg233475#msg233475
  I don't think a boy 2 pack would have seen a regular release. As it is it kinda shelfsat.

I hear ya, I was disappointed to see them release a 2 pack of boys who've already had multiple releases, Gil & Deuce...too bad they couldn't have done it with Holt & maybe Heath, or even Manny...I know boy dolls don't sell (or so I'm told), but I have to wonder if they'd actually put 2 more rare boys in there instead, would it have sold better.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:01:30 AM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline bewilderness

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Ponies and Monsters, oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Camp Crafty
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »

Post Merge: January 23, 2016, 09:57:29 AM

Quote from: Wardah link=topic=10832.msg233475#msg233475
  I don't think a boy 2 pack would have seen a regular release. As it is it kinda shelfsat.

I hear ya, I was disappointed to see them release a 2 pack of boys who've already had multiple releases, Gil & Deuce...too bad they couldn't have done it with Holt & maybe Heath, or even Manny...I know boy dolls don't sell (or so I'm told), but I have to wonder if they'd actually put 2 more rare boys in there instead, would it have sold better.

That was the main reason I didn't buy it--I already had Gil and Deuce.  If it had been 2 boys who hadn't been released yet or one that was hard to find, like Holt, I would've grabbed that pack so fast.

I hate the store exclusives.  Especially the Target ones, since we don't have a Target nearby and they don't always have their exclusives in stock online.  And they get some of the best MLP and doll exclusives. 
Pony patches and MH & EAH sewing patterns on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/hiddendoors
Blog: https://campcrafty.wordpress.com

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
It's so weird, one Target near me is pushing the Dance class 5 packs at full retail, while another one 30 minutes away has the Disembody pack.  But where in the world is the Maul Monsteristas pack???  And how did Mexico get so many?
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline mlly

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
Well, as someone who does not live in the US/UK/AUS/Canada, yeah..I'm not a fan.
I too, would like an end to exclusives.

Offline paladinheart

• Wonky Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 12:28:30 AM »
Yeah, I kinda forgot about the Toys R Us Cleo ILF exclusive. I guess TRU has made some mistakes with exclusives too.
I tend to refuse to pay more than retail for most MH dolls, so I'm usually forced to pass on the rare ones.

Did anyone else notice the EAH Fairest on Ice series in Wal-Mart's online store? They were VERY high at first, like $35 plus,
and then later on they suddenly disappeared. I think they put them on sale for half price and one or two people ordered
them all. xP

That's another thing I don't understand. Instead of going from 100% to 90, 80, etc.. when they want to sell a doll faster, they
instantly mark it down a huge amount (50% or higher discount) and let just a few people grab them all. They should at least
have a limit per order but I would prefer they bring down the prices more slowly.
It made me really sad when 13 Wishes Howleen was on sale for $5 and I completely missed out.
I would have gladly gave $10 each. Why go down to $5?...  :mad:

Offline neon_jellyfish

• MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 02:36:48 AM »
Getting store exclusives here is tricky at times. We had GnB Exclusives, Ghoulebrities, FCA Operetta, but some other never made it here. Target exclusive usually means I have to give up on that doll...
Plus, it's not just exclusive dolls, it's the distribution as a whole. They really should do something about it.
So I would love if they got rid of store exclusiveness and started distributing all the dolls properly.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:14:03 AM by neon_jellyfish »

Offline Pyrefly Projects

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 03:24:36 AM »
Overall they are a good thing IMO. The exclusive dolls tend to be of a higher quality and more creatively designed than the rest of their line. Freak du Chic & Gloom and Bloom recently, the (what is for us a) Target exclusives were incredibly well done. I can only imagine its good for the brand and for the stores too, money flowing keeps the dolls available after all. The downside that exclusives have no pricing competition is worth that to me, and I'm someone who makes a point of not paying full price for dolls if I can get away with it :D

They can undoubtably be a pain to get hold of if you're outside the US though. In Australia luckily, we tend to get most exclusives (eventually - Where the heck are you FDC Playset and BYBY 3-Packs!!?) now in equivalent stores.. but I feel for others in far flung places :(

Offline Listie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Frankie Stein Fanatic!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 04:02:35 AM »
Being from NZ & not having any TRU or Target (or Walmart, obviously) stores here, store exclusives really irk me. But at the same time, I love the HQ Target exclusives that compliment an established line, like Gloom & Bloom or Freak du Chic, or even if it's a line on it's own like Power Ghouls or Scary Tales - some of these are my all time favourites for certain characters (GNB Jinafire, ST Clawdeen).
I also really like some of the exclusive multipacks for TRU - the Mansters was so clever with the games & tiny little pieces - and at least TRU exclusives are available for quite a long time (barring ILF Cleo & Venus).

I'd say I have more issues with distribution than simply store exclusives. Sometimes we get US store exclusives at alternative retailers like Bloodgood & Haunted Rochelle, other times we don't even get non-exclusive lines. But then again, with our outrageous prices, sometimes I'm glad eBay & Amazon exist, because even with shipping costs, it's cheaper than buying locally.

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »
I don't mind the stores exclusives (partly because when we don't have the store that sells them, they will get here through other stores)
My grudge is with country exclusives. I could get Finnegan who was a Mattel exclusive but the shipping was too expensive. Got him through another online store and it would have been even more expensive, but his box was damage so he was on sale.

It's so weird, one Target near me is pushing the Dance class 5 packs at full retail, while another one 30 minutes away has the Disembody pack.  But where in the world is the Maul Monsteristas pack???  And how did Mexico get so many?

I think they are trying to atune with not bringing Gloom and Bloom, swim class lines, Ghouls sports, Manster 2pack & some 3 packs (Ghoulebrities, both byby for example).
Others just get here around a year after.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:23:50 AM by nassib »
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Heart891011

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »
I hate Kmart exclusives because my Kmart closed down.