collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

May 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: When did G1 end for you?  (Read 909 times)

Offline LightningBolt

• Undead lunatic
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Give me envy give me malice give me your attention
    • View Profile
Re: When did G1 end for you?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 08:25:53 PM »
I can agree with the dislike of Spectra's gossiping which is why I liked Haunted so much. She sees what her nosiness did to others. My biggest beef in regrards to characters was the violent background of many of the main characters. I actually researched every character for my then 6 yr old who has always been drawn to the darker stuff of the world, so I did not allow many of the main characters to come home; Lagoona was probably the one of the original ghouls that I okayed. As she got older we bought dolls like Clawdeen and Ghoulia.

As a collector I liked the dolls. Some lines were cheesy but still cute. The Line went downhill once they changed the face molds and articulation. Then instead of talking about school conflicts they went to babysitting and pet setting. Those are Barbie lines, Monster High was for OLDER girls the Tween market. Heaven Forbid a 10yr old puts down her iPhone long enough to play with dolls. Same with the sister line Ever After High. Once they changed the face molds, bodies, and articulation that line just isn't what it used to be.

Thatís just itóbecause Spectra WAS a gossip, there was an opportunity in Haunted for her to change and mature as a character. Peopleóeven very good peopleóhave character flaws. In the process of living, we make mistakes, learn from them, and struggle to be our best selves. But if everybody is just perfect and wonderful from the get-go (as heroes so often are in childrenís entertainment), then that struggleóthat thing that makes them relatableóis gone. Itís hard to feel anything for or learn anything from a character you canít relate to, and even children pick up on that. Thatís why I find it kind of sad that a character was axed from a show/toyline because she wasnít ďperfectĒ. :(

I agree that itís very sad how MHís original target demographic just wasnít interested in dolls. :( It sounds cliched, but it seems like kids are trying to grow up more and more quickly in recent years. Smartphones certainly didnít help matters, especially compounded with the advent of social media... When I was ten, I was still very much into dolls and toys. :shrug:
I'm still into dolls and toys. (Obviously)

But I played with my toys even as old as 15, and being online didn't deter me from playing at all! Granted, 09 was a different atmosphere, but still.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 09:05:08 PM »
I apologize about that.  I was thinking that some girls might be into bugs, but now I realize maybe that's more for boys?  I really don't know.

I don't know.  When I was a little girl I loved bugs.  I used to spend hours watching earwigs crawl across my grandmother's patio.  And my daughter loves bugs as well.  We've caught her playing with wood lice, crickets, carpenter ants, and even an Oriental cockroach. :yucky:
On the flip-side of that: neither my husband nor my brother liked bugs when they were kids.  In fact, my husband had anxiety over insects when he was a little boy.  To this day he hates bugs, arachnids, rodents, and all reptiles.
So yeah, I'd be willing to venture that there are just as many little girls who like bugs as there are little boys, and just as many little boys who are afraid of bugs as there are little girls.

I know that there's just as many girls as boys that like bugs. I just mean it's not a typical thing for a doll line to cover.

Perhaps not.  But then again, even Mattel seems to think that bugs are appealing enough to little girls to include in their doll lines from time to time.  Garden Ghouls weren't the first, nor the last insect-themed dolls that they've released.

But in either case, bugs are definitely more of a little kid thing than a tween/teen thing, which is what I think Lynda was saying.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 09:36:58 AM »
Heck, I was in middle school and me and my friends wanted Neopets plushies.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »

Haha, so did I! XD I remember being frantic because the Limited Too exclusives were so hard to find, lol.

I donít think itís really the internet itself thatís causing the decline in toy sales and creative play. I think itís more to do with certain aspects of it, like social media, and the fact that phones and tablets now allow people to be joined to the web at all times. Iím certainly not against social media or mobile devices, but kids are notoriously bad at moderation.

Beyond that, peer pressure is now literally everywhere. Most of us have experienced that sad day, at some point in our lives, when we were teased for being ďimmatureĒ because we still liked dolls, or plushies, or whatever. :( Kids have always tried to grow up too fast, but now the social pressure to do so is basically omnipresent. Our social lives follow us home, and half the time get broadcast across the internet by our peers. Thatís scary to me, even as an adult. I canít imagine going through that in middle school. *shudder*

At any rate, those are just my feelings on the matter. Itís a complicated issue, and there are no doubt many factors involved. It just makes me sad to think that kids are losing interest in traditional play at such young agesóplay is such an essential part of developing creativity and critical thinking skills, IMO.

As to the topic at hand... I do feel like G1 sort of ďsemi-endedĒ for me when MH started marketing towards a younger audience. The spirit of the thing was kept mostly intact, but books, movies, and plots took a turn for the silly. My favorite incarnation of MH will always be the one where the clothes were edgier, the humor a touch sharper, and the characters had just a little more bite (as with Draculauraís origin).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:28:28 AM by Nemesis »

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »

Neopets was amazing back in the day!  I was in my early twenties and buying Neopets magazine, plushies, and the card game! :biggrin:

I donít think itís really the internet itself thatís causing the decline in toy sales and creative play. I think itís more to do with certain aspects of it, like social media, and the fact that phones and tablets now allow people to be joined to the web at all times. Iím certainly not against social media or mobile devices, but kids are notoriously bad at moderation.

This!!

My five-year-old loves video games, but I have to monitor her time on devices or else she would be on them all day long.  It's not that she doesn't like toys.  In fact, once she starts playing with toys she plays with them for hoursóbut the same is true of video games and apps and YouTube videos.  It's up to me to monitor how much time she's spending on devices and to cut her off if need be.  She's a kid after all.  She has no concept that sitting in front of a computer all day long can be a bad thing.
Parents can't allow their children to spend hours upon hours every day on video games and social media and then blame technology for their kids' lack of interest in anything else.  That would be like only feeding your kids chicken nuggets and then claiming that it's Tyson's fault that your kid only eats chicken nuggets. :facepalm:

And let's be honest, back when many of us were kids it was the "boob tube" that was ruining us, taking us away from our toys and outdoor play.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
But in either case, bugs are definitely more of a little kid thing than a tween/teen thing, which is what I think Lynda was saying.

That was my point.  The themes are more geared toward little kids.  I miss the more detailed Fearleading outfits, the more detailed prom dresses, etc. 
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Heart891011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »
When they made those cheap unarticulated dolls with half printed dresses (Frankie GiGi Draculaura and Clawdeen if I am remembering correctly)