collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
[15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: Is anyone still holding on to their MH collection? Still adding to them?  (Read 472 times)

Offline Andi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Wonky Eyes
  • Why wont my avitar sit upright?
    • View Profile
Just curious if anyone is still buying and adding to their collections? Or have you boxed them up lovingly and placed them in the attic?  I am doing both. I can't stop. Thrift store outlets sometimes have all the leftover pieces if you dig deep. I can't stop feeling bad for the disgarded girls missing arms and clothing. 10 cents for a tall Draculaura missing a skirt and an arm. I took that challenge along with a Raven Queen with no hands and sharpie as a corset and face paint. 

Maybe u am bored with all that is out there now. I don't think I can start another doll line.  What is everyone else doing to keep busy?

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
I've been selling off my dolls.  I still love them, and I hate to part with Valentine, but I'd rather they go to someone who can tend to them rather than sitting in totes and gathering dust. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Creeperific
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
To be honest itís hard for me to like another doll line that is as amazing as monster high, Iím currently still adding to my collection and have gotten most rare and hard to find dolls out of the way, so Iím buying the older lines like picture day, dance class, etc. I really canít give up monster high, but my collectible dolls are in a box, and the dolls I customize and make clothes or reroots on are in my room! Iíd probably never get rid of my dolls. Iíll probably pass them on to my children.
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
I'm still holding on to my Skelitas, but I sold the rest of my collection a while ago.

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Interesting to see how many people have sold theirs :O

I've kept mine, of course!! If I collect something, I'm in it for the long haul. A lot of mine are in storage simply because a lot of my collections *in general* are in storage right now, but the other half of my MHs are on the shelves with the rest of my dolls, ponies, etc.

There's still a few MHs I'd like to buy eventually, but I'm not sure when I'll get round to hunting them down... my other collections have been taking priority lately (so many limited edition items! argh!).

Offline RevengeSeeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Iím still adding. I want to have all G1 including fashion packs. I have around 90 to go, plus the SDCC.

I have around 450 dolls atm. They are all pretty much in their boxes since I have a small house, but will get a new house next year and expose them all

Offline QuirkyCat

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Iím still adding. I want to have all G1 including fashion packs. I have around 90 to go, plus the SDCC.
All of the dolls ever?!  That's so many! Do you like every single doll or is it about completion?
I have around 450 dolls atm. They are all pretty much in their boxes since I have a small house, but will get a new house next year and expose them all

Offline ghoulbunny

• One-Eyed Ghoul
  • -Monster High pun of an expression here-
    • View Profile
I wish I could say I was adding to them more. But I've honestly stopped, and moved onto other hobbies. That being said - I still keep mine, and don't really have intentions of selling them. I danced around the idea though, but I dunno - I still really like a lot of them. I don't have any more room for new ones unfortunately :/

However, I do have to say that I'm still planning to get G1 Spectra, as well as Scarily Ever After Little Dead Riding Wolf Clawdeen
wee woo

Offline monsteleon

• Stone Cold Style
    • View Profile
I still have a lot of my MH collection on display and don't intend to part with them any time soon.  Yes, I have tons that are still boxed and the playsets are probably going into storage soon, but I still love the everything about MH. 

The last things I bought were some dressed dolls at a local children's consignment shop.  They were $4 each, and I had all of them in my collection already, but I couldn't pass them up.  I thought they were worth the money for parts or replacement dolls for my niece if nothing else.

In my opinion, there isn't anything to fill the void left by MH, and since I am fortunate to own most MH/EAH dolls and playsets already (except Ghoul's Alive Robecca and some SDCC sets, darn you, universe!), I have starting filling in gaps in my Barbie collection.  I also started a new obsession with an older doll - Ashton Drake Gene.  Not as creative or fun as MH, I grant you, but the clothing is so lovely that I'm really enjoying my new collection.  I also recently acquired some Agnes, Viktor, and Sister Dreary dolls for a great price. Love them!  They are pretty difficult to find through and rather pricey, so my collection isn't likely to grow much.

Anyway, as more than just an MH collector, obvi, I can always find dolls to buy, even if they aren't new! :lol:

I still miss the thrill of finding new MH in stores or waiting for news about new dolls.  Sigh.  :cry:

Offline Carrehz

• MIB Signature Toralei
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I still miss the thrill of finding new MH in stores or waiting for news about new dolls.  Sigh.  :cry:

This is what I miss, more than anything. I love Enchantimals and they're sort of filling the MH void for me, but it's just not the same... the releases for that one are more... stable?... for one thing, no surprise releases or survey leaks or what-have-you. And then most of the other stuff I'm collecting actively atm isn't playline/sold in the UK so there's nothing to hunt for (or at least, not a physical hunt... online hunting, sure, but it's not the same! :P).

Offline respositob

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone still holding on to their MH collection? Still adding to them?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
I'm still actively displaying my ghouls and mansters, or at least my signature dolls, which is half of them. I keep the rest in a big plastic storage container, but they're still fairly accessible so I can pull them out if I'd like to. I have a plan to eventually set up my Deadluxe High School and display the dolls in there, but I don't have any space at the moment.

Even though I haven't bought a new MH doll in forever, I still plan to add to my collection. My hope is to have the first release of each character, including G2 and the Frightmares. Also, there are some really beautiful dolls I missed out on when they were released, such as the Haunt the Casbah ladies and I <3 Fashion Clawdeen and Abbey, so I'm still keeping an eye out for those.

I'm basically doing the same sort of thing with my EAH collection. Displaying my signature dolls, storing the rest in a container, and planning on purchasing my favorites. I actually only need the Snow Pixies to complete my EAH signature collection, and then I can start focusing on the other dolls I want.

I do have to say that I miss shopping in store so much. Besides Barbie Fashionistas and couple other random lines, there are really no dolls in store that I collect anymore. Thank goodness for online stores like eBay and Amazon, otherwise I don't know where I'd go to get new dolls.

Offline Bright Rabbit 1

• Stone Cold Style
  • Custom Dolls 4 Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 11:17:01 AM »
Iím only keeping the ones I like. I brought a Holt Hyde from eBay.uk, the legs were wobbly because the elastic was loose, so the head and hands are on a Slow Mo body and Iíve got to airbrush the body to match Holt Hyde.

Iím trying to get some clothes that appear in the movies I like

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • Spread the skelelove! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »
Yes and no. I still love Monster High, both the dolls and the concept (it's the latter which really makes me mourn the line), and there are dolls I can't imagine parting with, or even taking off display. My Skelitas, my monochrome Frankies, my Rochelles... I could never not love them. The same goes for the modified/customised dolls. There are certain dolls however, that I think I will be selling off. Many, eventually. I did sell some of them off already. The thing is, when my eyes opened up for customising, I suddenly found that I want much more dolls than what I previously planned - while previously a hair colour choice put me off, now I was looking at it and thinking "oh, I can rehair that". This quickly resulted in me accumulating 100+ dolls just to be used for future customs. But the sad truth is, I never got around to even start customising the vast majority of them. And recently I started to notice that I'm not even interested in, or like some of these ideas anymore, or at least not enough that I should invest money, time and energy into them. Putting together an Excel sheet of all the ideas of customs I was planning (and have dolls for), and realising that the number is in the 3-digits only made things worse. That was the time I realised this isn't something I want. I just cannot give the needed level of attention or shelf space to this amount of dolls, or I'd rather not want to. And there isn't much sense in investing into something (dozens of somethings!) that will then end up in a box or in a drawer.

When I started collecting Monster High I didn't yet consider myself a doll collector, and didn't really have much other doll interests. Now this is not the case, and the number of my non-MH dolls is also greater than what I feel I can enjoy. Many of them are in a drawer or in boxes, which does not make sense, but I don't enjoy the sight of 50 dolls standing next to each other like an army, so displaying them all is not an option. I am not yet ready to part with most of them, but at the same time I know many of these dolls would have a better life elsewhere, enjoyed by a fellow collector, or being played with by a child (many of the ones that were bought for customs are flawed or simply not collector quality).

Only time will tell what will happen to whom, and who will stay. I'd really like to get into spending more time with the ones I like, and doing things like taking pictures of them and sharing them here. I'm just so overwhelmed with the number currently, that I think it is also blocking my mind from being able to love the ones I really do - let alone spending some time with the rest to decide whether I love them enough.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:59:57 PM by Loona »
:roch: :skel:

Offline RevengeSeeker

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 02:12:18 PM »
All of the dolls ever?!  That's so many! Do you like every single doll or is it about completion?

Thereís a few I really donít care for, but yes for the sake of having the complete collection.

Offline billietallent

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Wonky Eyes
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
I'm still adding, I pick up dolls from local sellers who are selling off their kids' collections, and occasionally from the thrift store. I'm in desperate need of more display space, but that's the case for all my collections.

Offline saharali

• Two Left Hands
  • Power Princess
    • View Profile
    • Doll Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »
I keep my Twylas, and my Darlings. Everything else is custom fodder LOL

Offline Kris

• Stiff
    • View Profile
    • Instagram account for sincerely_ghoulia
I am -  in fact just started collecting last year (so buying mostly 2nd hand). I do sell dolls too though- those I don't want from a lot or who I bought purely for their clothes.

My Instragram Account is: @sincerely_ghoulia