collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
[20] 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Power issues  (Read 109 times)

Offline kaskurgi

• Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
    • ...Stuffs & Thingies Sims Blog
Power issues
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
So we had some family over for the holidays. They knew the house we live in old and it can't really handle a lot of load being put on it. Sooo my mom and I went out to her doctor appointment on the 28th and ended up having to hurry home because they "tripped a few breakers". Well...not only did they trip them they blew them and the outlets ontop of that. We told them not to run a lot of things at the same time. Well my bathroom has no power, my bedroom has only two working outlets now, the dining room has only one working outlet, and the kitchen has two down outlets luckily the fridge and stove still work but that is it. So they made some comments which blew my lid about how we should have it upgraded and fixed to code. Well it was to code before they showed up and caused havoc. My mom and I don't use a lot of electricity. Our average electric bill is $50-70 during spring summer and fall. $120-150 in the winter when we had the polar vortex it was $170ish.

So they ended up leaving the next morning when they couldn't take the cold. They were going to stay at a hotel but decided to head home instead so they pretty much left my mom and I to fend for ourselves for something they screwed up. No offer to help pay to fix, no we are sorry just a bunch of grief... We called to see if they made it home safely no response but we heard from other family members they are home. We open up our house to try to show some hospitality and we get walked all over. We've had problems with a majority of our family before so we were trying to offer an olive branch (they didn't like my dad so they blamed my mom for it and shunned her even though he has been passed away since 2009).

I guess from previous actions when family members pass and people stick out their hands for money I should have known better. It has my mom super upset and both of us in a scramble still to figure out what to do. We can't really afford to spend a ton of money house repairs right now she has to get her eyes checked out again she has macular degeneration in both of them. So right now none of the outlets that we have working can handle our little oil space heater. I really hate kerosene and with three dogs that's rough and you still need to open a window to vent it...so it kinda defeats the purpose. So for now we are layering up and making due.

We went a whole winter without heat before and running water because of Sandy screwing the proverbial pooch pretty hard core. It was rough but for water that was pretty easy filled up jugs from a neighbors house to flush the toilet and use for boiling. My job had a full bath at it so my mom and I still got our showers and I had a gym membership too then so it wasn't bad at all. Just had to get used to waking up and not jumping immediately into a nice hot shower. I love living in the boonies in our own house but sometimes...I wish we lived in an apartment and all that kind of stuff would have to be taken care of by the landlord.

Finding people that don't want an arm and leg to work during winter months is also a pain. :P

Need List | Sales List

Offline beautiful_monster

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • I want more life.
    • View Profile
Re: Power issues
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »
This is absolutely awful. I'm so sorry that you had this experience. Do you know how much it will take to get the repairs done? Heat is critical in wintertime! Maybe some kind repair service will let you pay in installments?

Offline Lady Bastilla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
  • Hi! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 05:59:17 AM »
That's awful. I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you. We have issues with relatives in my family, too. It can be really hard. On one hand, the best (logical) them to do is to just avoid / ignore them. But morally and emotionally that can be hard or even backfire against other people, making the people doing that look like the villain when that isn't actually the case.

We don't have as much issue with outlets as you are describing, but I know that in our house I have to be careful what I bring in my room since I do run my PC in here. I've popped breakers running that and a kettle before, but certainly never permanently damaged one. Wow! What would it take to do that?!

Anyway, I hope you guys can find a way to sort this out so your home will be comfortable. Good luck!

Offline beautiful_monster

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • I want more life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:43:05 PM »
I remember when Sandy hit here, many people didn't have power, but they had gas. So they were able to boil pots of water on the stove to keep warm. The steam helped keep at least one room warm enough for comfort.
Don't know if that's an option for you, but hope it can be!