collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 8
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Duchess Swan Discussion Thread  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Fairy Tale Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Ever After High Fan
    • View Profile
Duchess Swan Discussion Thread
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
May as well make one of these types of threads here too. :P I was going to start with Apple, but Duchess actually has more things to discuss, despite only having three dolls.

At first I didn't like her character. I disliked her animated design, and I felt like she was mean for no reason. If she really hates her story that much, why not just Rebel. I'm in the minority that like her sig doll much better than the cartoon though, and I warmed up to her character after reading Next Top Villain. Although, how she even exists is still confusing to me. I only have her Sig doll, but I may end up getting Birthday Ball, if it's cheap enough...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:11:30 AM by Fairy Tale Man »

Offline Ocean

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
Re: Duchess Swan Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »
I've got her FOI doll in light purple and I really love the dress, it might be my favorite piece of EAH clothing. My FOI Duchess is also pretty loose-jointed, which I wouldn't want in all dolls, but is fun with her as she adopts various ballet/skating poses quite easily. All in all I like the doll.

As a character I see her as similar to Toralei in MH, she is a foil to show you how the other characters are better than her (most of them. There are a lot of characters in EAH that are supposed to be "good". The "Royals," in particular Apple, look better because Swan exists to compare them with, and I think it was important to EAH that Apple seems more positive - there was even a special episode about that).. Anyway, Swan's main flaw is that she is a snob, and she's also a liar. Because of her flaws she is in this blended territory of almosts: almost a a friend, almost a villain, almost pathetic. She can play any of those roles at any given time. Her being "almost like the other royals...but flawed" is emphasized by showing her as a great dancer but then also with a honking voice. The latter is supposed to take away from her gracefulness. That's what I get from Swan, anyway. I'm neutral on her as a character. I imagine she'd be useful to kids as a doll, as most EAH villains don't exist in doll form (it even seems like Courtly is deciding to make a HUGE turnaround and become very goody-goody now that she has a doll), and most good stories need someone to act villainous.

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »
I love all her dolls. Her character doesn't do much for me and I don't like her webisode hairstyle, but her dolls are beautiful. Only her sig version was available in here so far, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for getting all of her dolls. Plus, I love dance (as in, I admire people who can dance, I myself am unable to dance), so Duchess was a must have. Now if Justine came closer so I can snatch her...

I'm curious about her character now that they dropped the whole royal/rebel thing. I mean, she was all about trying to get another people's destinies because she didn't like hers but was afraid to rebel because not following the story could mean ceasing to exist, but that's gone now. I really liked the webisode where Humphrey helps her with music class and I ship those two, so I hope to see more development in this direction.

Offline leenetje

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
As a child i've always loved the story of the swan princess. The animated movie series, the classical ballet, the written story, the barbie movie,... in all incarnations. I was smitten with this story, so i absolutely adore Duchess, mostly her design and colour scheme, I love the light purple with the black and white. I also like the duality of the colours that represent both the black and white princess.

As for her character herself. I've never liked villains, but Duchess is interesting to me. She's a villain but her backstory is soo tragic. the scene that to me most explains duchess' behaviour is from a diary. she's talking to a teacher about a princess class, and the teacher is like "oh i don't know you, are you a princess, never heard of your story". in the world of EAH princesses are touted as the people to be envious of, they get their happy ever afters, live  comfortable lives after a couple bumps in the road, so to speak. People like Apple are also fawned over by most people in the school, teachers and students alike. Duchess only has her dancing to be gracefull and show everybody her story and the importance of it. but her dancing is sullied, by her inabbility to sing. another reason to be jealous for the princesses that in her eyes, are perfect.

Duchess does not have this happy ending, barely anybody knows her story, and she doesn't get to have a happy ever after. she is able to discover true love, before he gets stolen and she loses her life. This backstory would also make me feel bitter and agry for the other princesses. Ofcourse this doesn't excuse her behaviour, but as a bachelor in psychology it interests me greatly.

Lastly, I'm interested to see what happens to her now the fear of being erased for not having a story is gone, with the book of destiny being gone. i want to see if something happens to her behaviour now, perhaps she will try to change her story?

TL:DR I really like her  :biggrin:

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
My daughter  <3

I only like her sig after heavy modification...and even then, I just made her into a Black Swan. I hope she's the SDCC exclusive this year.

I feel like Next Top Villain did not do the wonders for her character that the other Selfors' books did for Darling, Ginger, and Faybelle. Now that actually signing for Destinies is pointless, I still hope someone does anything with her that isn't "Make her suffer.". She's kind of empty for now.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Portobella

• Fashion Pack
  • Is it about my cube?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »
I love Duchess. She's a jerk and I usually don't like villains, but I love her on-screen and in doll form. She was so sweet in Best Feather Forward... I wonder if we'll get any more Duchess episodes anytime soon. I also really loved when Kitty threw ice cream in her face. I do wonder what's going to happen now that she can't take somebody else's destiny.

I only have her FOI release, and I adore it. I'd like to get her sig someday too. And I am patiently waiting for her Birthday Ball doll - Duchess with purple hair in a cute pastel dress? Yes please  :party:

Offline Shahaila

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »
I don't watch the webisodes but I do read the books so my connection to the characters are through their diaries and through the books.  I fell in love with the Dutchess doll the moment we first got to see pictures of her.  I have both her Signature and FOI versions and I too am waiting to see her B-day Ball doll in person and maybe add her as well.  I love that she is on the taller body with the longer legs, really suits a dancer  :), and I love the black/purple/white color scheme.  I came to know her character reading The Next Top Villain, and well that book made me love her and Lizzie both all the more.  Knowing her story I cannot help but empathize with her and feel sorry for her.  Her story is tragic.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:21:08 AM by Shahaila »
"I have no particular talent,
I am passionately inquisitive" Albert Einstein

Offline bewilderbeastie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • "Taako's good out here."
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr~
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of her character in the series. She's petty and a liar and willing to do underhanded, sneaky things to get what she wants, and I can't relate to that.

Her doll, on the other hand, is lovely. I'm a sucker for the tall and short EAH girls, and I think her outfit is very pretty. I still haven't styled her hair, though. I just can't get the bump right.

I think I'd really like it if she turned out to become the Black Swan, simply because black swans are cool. Embrace the Dark Side, Duchess!
Looking for Scooter Ghoulia's boots, Dexter's glasses, any Gil Webber bits and pieces and Pokémon figures!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »
I do feel a little sorry for her.  Her story is so sad.   Her sig is also a very pretty doll.  I love her brown eyes.

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »
I ship her with Humphrey after he helped her in that class. It would be nice if a little follow up on that was made, as even if she is a "villain", seeing her having true friends would be nice... Heck, I would love it even if they were just friends and we got to see her more relaxed around him. Also with Poppy. Her admitting defeat at ice skating seems like a HUUUGE thing her normal ego wouldn't do. 

Offline Lady Bastilla

• First Wave Dead Tired
  • Hi! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 04:45:43 AM »
I'd definitely like to see more growth in Duchess' character. A character can fill the villain role and still have a certain level of principles / their own code they follow. Especially now that the book isn't an issue and everyone has a chance to impact their own destiny. Duchess needs to step up and change the path she's on if she doesn't like it. (And she doesn't necessarily have to do that perfectly. The point is, she needs to try.)

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 02:29:34 AM »
I LOVE the character's look (the "black & white" thing is so striking visually- especially in such a day-glo colored line), and the fact that there's at least a couple villains around school. SOMEONE needs to be a fountain for conflict aside from the main "Royal/Rebel" divide, especially if the series is moving away from that.

To me, she's also a pretty good case of what a "Mean Girl" would ACTUALLY be like- movies & TV shows tend to make the most-popular girl act like Duchess... at which point you go "and she is popular WHY, exactly?" In real life, I've found that type of girl often ends up a Duchess-like individual, spurned by the other students for being selfish, conniving and catty.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 07:04:06 AM »
I'd definitely like to see more growth in Duchess' character. A character can fill the villain role and still have a certain level of principles / their own code they follow.

Faybelle, basically. I guess no one writing knows what to do with Duchess.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »
Oh I would so want for Duchess to get some development now that she doesn't have to feel threatened by the tragic end of her story, which was the biggest reason for her misdoings. The ballet itself has several endings, including a happy one, but the tragic one is played most often and judging by Duchess' attempts to steal Happily Ever Afters from others I guess it's the "default" one in EAH universe. Now they could make her have the happy ending of her story or go for completely new story. I ship her and Humphrey and I also want to see more of her ballerina side, it would be so sweet if Melody composed a new ballet story for those two... "The Beautiful Swan and The Egg Prince"  :bateyes:

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
I love her dolls, but I'm not a fan of her character.

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
shes really strange but a beautiful doll.