collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

June 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Lhia's Labours of Love - Customs and Repaints [16.V.2017 - Venus + Venus]  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

And here are Mari and Lagoona all finished up! I learned a lot during this process (mostly, do not use painter's tape. Buy more little rubberbands instead) and will apply that to other customs I'm working on!

Custom Sig Marisol and ME Lagoona by Lhia, on Flickr

19 Jan. 2016:
And here is the completed Toralei! I'm pretty pleased with how she came out, but I need to work on adding more eyelashes to the top lid in a convincing fashion. I was going to add false lashes to her with a bit of glue, but the ones I have are human proportions and don't work well (I thought I had some doll-sized ones, but must be mis-remembering).

At any rate, she's looking pretty good!

Table Snap - Ghou Sports Toralei Custom by Lhia, on Flickr

3 Feb. 2017:
It's been a while since I updated, but I finally finished that Dance Class Howleen on her adult body! Now she just needs some new clothes. I've also made two wigs for an upcoming custom Honey. I'd planned to re-root her, but thought maybe wigs would be more fun! I'm also considering giving her glass/inset eyes, but have yet to pop her head open to give that a go. ^^;

In-between outfit until I sew something new. by Lhia, on Flickr

16 May 2017:
Also a slight update on Iris:

Iris WIP by Lhia, on Flickr

I worked a bit more on her rose sleeves while the MSC was in transit, but haven't been able to seal my progress to move forward. Excited to continue work on that now.

8 Mar. 2017:
Catrine is finished and (temporarily) redressed!

Reroot Catrine Complete by Lhia, on Flickr

She started as a Shriekwrecked Catrine, was rebodied and rerooted, and partially repainted with a pale pink lip with pearl pigment powder and matte varnish sealant. She's currently been redressed in a mix of stock to suit her new hair colour and to show off her new skelekitty bod!

16 May 2016:
Venus is back on her body and will be getting a touch-up to her flocking and a new face-up, just as soon as the flocking powder arrives. In the mean time, I felt bad leaving her sitting around nekkid.

Sig Venus Custom WIP by Lhia, on Flickr

15 May. 2017:
Finished re-rooting Swim Class Rochelle in black saran and hot pink mystery hair. She turned out quite well, though there were a few complications along the way (her scalp split during the de-hairing process; I patched it with two coats of liquid fusion before rerooting, but the part line split open again while I was working). She'll get an extra coat of glue to the inside of her little noggin, compared to other dolls I've rehaired.

Rochelle Rehair WIP by Lhia, on Flickr

Rochelle Number Two (Dance Class Rochelle) will be on her way next. My friend started her while she was here visiting, but didn't get to complete her because we were so busy, so I'll finish her up and ship her over to the US with a new neon green do and some cute matching lipstick. <3
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:54:56 PM by Lhianneth »

Offline KustomKara

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
Re: Customs WIP - Critique and tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:12:45 PM »
Hello!
 I think your dolls are lovely and it seems that's the design you are looking for, with the bright colors.

I guess the one suggestion I'd give you is to choose an area or two you'd like to focus on. Like cheeks and brows. Or just the lips. Or the eyes.

My aunt thought me some stuff about make-up, that may hold true for the dolls too,. And the same goes for fashion. Lol. Enhance your features 1 at a time.

No I don't think you should scrap these dolls. They are beautiful and will look incredible once they are finished.

And don't be so hard on your self. Your doing an wonderful job for your first time.

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:26:50 AM »
Thanks! I took what you said about focusing on one thing on board and did a bit more work.

Custom Dolls - Table Snap by Lhia, on Flickr

For Lagoona, I decided to skip the gold shadow, and put the emphasis on her cheeks and freckles. I'll finish her eyes up in the next coat or two. For Marisol, I focused on her lips and eye shadow, and will let the MSC fade her cheeks out a bit more. Also started on a Wydowna, but I'm not sure how well I like the idea I have for her, so she may change. Right now, my plan is to give her gold irises and lips, but red for the rest.

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 04:04:25 AM »
I don't have any customizing advice (as I've never done it), but I love the work you have so far!
Please keep posting updates if possible, it's pretty cool to see the gradual transformation of the dollies  :)
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:21:08 AM »
I don't have any customizing advice (as I've never done it), but I love the work you have so far!
Please keep posting updates if possible, it's pretty cool to see the gradual transformation of the dollies  :)

I'm taking a photo before each round of MSC, just in case I screw it up. hahahahaha

I'll put together a timeline thread when I'm finished. Or if anyone has further suggestions/critique on things to change or fix, I'll post here with updates on that advice.

Offline splendidlysinister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
    • Splendidly Sinister
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 06:20:05 AM »
I really love how bright and bold these dolls are! There's a good amount of stuff going on with each of them, and it keeps them very interesting. It's a lot different than most repaints you see, which can be very pale and soft.

As for keeping things even on faces, it's one of my hardest areas to correct. Usually I see my mistakes when I'm taking photos, after I've sealed everything. So I'm learning to take photos more as I go, rather than at the end. It really helps me to look at it from a different point of view (the photo), and see where I've gone wrong. Maybe this method can help? Also, doing eyebrows like you've done on Marisol definitely helps hide any non-symmetrical brows. I've learned to utilize the bushy brow because I can't seem to draw eyebrows on straight  ^^;

I honestly love everything you've got going on here, and don't think you've been too heavy handed at all. They look gorgeous <3

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »
I think they look stupendous, Lhia!

Something that I've learned about face-ups is that those first few layers of blush usually look more intense and "heavy-handed" until you start working on the pencil layers.  Then the blushing becomes somewhat muted by the darker, more saturated pencils and doesn't seem so intense anymore.  I think that's definitely the case here.  Your first layer seemed dense, but in that third photo the blush work is being balanced out by your pencils.

You're doing a fantastic job!  Keep on truckin'!  I can't wait to see them when they're finished! :biggrin:

Offline KustomKara

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »
You're doing hexillent! I love Mari's lips, and Lagoona's colors are magical. I can't wait to see what you are doing with Wydowna, she's going to look awesome.

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »
Thanks very much! I'm feeling a lot more confident about this whole process now, and I'll definitely take the advice you've all offered on board. ^^

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »
Wow! Those are amazing! And for first attempts? Wow! :love: The only thing i can even possibly see to make any better is that Mari's eyes look almost wall-eyed? I think its a trick of the light, but I cant really tell  ^^; But wow! And I LOVE the direction you are taking Lagoona and Wydowna!
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 08:37:04 PM »
Both look spectacular!! I'm in love with your designs!

Offline nassib

• Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
Wow! Those are amazing! And for first attempts? Wow! :love: The only thing i can even possibly see to make any better is that Mari's eyes look almost wall-eyed? I think its a trick of the light, but I cant really tell  ^^; But wow! And I LOVE the direction you are taking Lagoona and Wydowna!

It's a trick of the light. I was about to comment that when the pictures were first posted but zooming confirm it was only light, the pupils are proportional and seem symmetric
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »

It's a trick of the light. I was about to comment that when the pictures were first posted but zooming confirm it was only light, the pupils are proportional and seem symmetric
Okay, i couldnt tell  ^^; Then these truly are perfect!
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »

Okay, i couldnt tell  ^^; Then these truly are perfect!

Trick of the light mostly, aye! But the one eye has a slightly wider top to the iris than the other (d'oh), which means she technically is a tiny bit wonk after all. But practice makes perfect, right? I have a bunch more dolls lined up to receive new faces.

... just as soon as the humidity drops down below 75% again. Which it won't for a few days.

edit: Lucky me, the humidity dropped to 53% this afternoon for a few hours, so I was able to finish up Marisol and Lagoona! I've changed the thread topic to be a catch-all for future customs.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement! I'm really pleased with how these two came out, and am already pumped to start my next project. ^^
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:32:56 PM by Lhianneth »

Offline Robina

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • It's Ninja Time!
    • View Profile
Re: Lhia's Labours - Customs and Repaints
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
I love that Lagoona! So pretty and innocent looking! Adorable.

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 10:50:51 PM »
Thank you! I thought for sure that Mari would be my fave of the two, but Lagoona's cheeks just came out so sweet-looking!

Offline catwater

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • Call me Claire.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 11:05:09 PM »
Omg!! They're beautiful! I can't believe those are your first customs, they're seriously gorgeous! I especially love the bright colors on Lagoona.
InstagramCustoms Thread ♦  EtsyTumblr!Flickr

Turquoise Overload by Claire Atwater, on Flickr

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »
Omg!! They're beautiful! I can't believe those are your first customs, they're seriously gorgeous! I especially love the bright colors on Lagoona.

Thank you! And with hand on heart, I do promise they are my firsts. hahaha

I've popped about 20 doll heads off in the last year or so, and erased nearly as many faces, but these two are the first I've had the guts to take pencil and pastel to. Once upon a time, I did a couple of pony customs, but they were super shoddy, unsealed, and executed with craft acrylics. I've just watched a lot of tutorials from different people since I decided I might want to start doing customs.

Offline nassib

• Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
Re: Lhia's Labours of Love - Customs and Repaints
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 04:57:04 AM »
I really liked the end result of your dollies!

And that WIP Toralei, my! She's so beautiful and more amazingly cat looking! Love her so much!

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline writtenhuman

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
Re: Lhia's Labours of Love - Customs and Repaints
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 05:12:40 AM »
That Lagoona is seriously GORGEOUS. I'd never been a fan of the ME Lagoona but you made her look amazing :-)