collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

June 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: Repairing Body Gaps? Need Advice!  (Read 893 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Repairing Body Gaps? Need Advice!
« on: December 25, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »
I'm working on sanding down a few bodies to prep them for customs, and started with a leftover Cleo to get a handle on things since this is my first time modding hard plastic bodies. One of her legs appears to have been moulded unevenly in back. Upon shaving down the raised half of the seam a bit, a couple of small gaps have developed on the other side. The seam is still very uneven and lumpy, but I don't want to progress with smoothing it out until I fix these gaps. There is a similar gap on the body seam above her hip, and I haven't shaved that portion yet, for fear of making it worse.

So before I move on to sanding, is there a material I can use to rebuild the lower half of the seam and fill the little holes? They're roughly the side of pin heads, but I worry they'll compromise the doll's structural integrity if I keep working them over in their present state.

I've done a search of a few customising blogs, but didn't find anything about repairing these sorts of gaps, just tears in the vinyl heads. Anyone have suggestions for fixing these up?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline beautiful_monster

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • I want more life.
    • View Profile
Re: Repairing Body Gaps? Need Advice!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »
Worbla? Milliput?

Offline Ackryllis

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 08:18:19 PM »
Okay here's what I think could work with this case.
Open up the cracks slightly more. Right now they're so tiny that you can't fit anything inside. Use something like an exacto knife.
After that use something selfadhering/air-drying clay to fill the hole. Milliput, velvetclay, stoneclay, epoxyclay or paperclay. Something one would use in body modding anyways.
After sanding, if needed, paint the fixed part to match the surrounding parts and seal.

Similar technique is used to fix cracks in industrial painting.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 11:56:35 PM »
Thanks you two!

I think I stumbled upon an accidental fix. I'll post updates if it works, but.

I remembered that acetone slightly melts the hard plastic. I'd not planned to use it to finish the seams, but thought "what the hey". I gathered up some shavings from removing the underpants, and used my xacto knife to wedge them into the gaps. A bit of acetone, and the shavings and leg have fused together. They've left a very faint dimple and are paler than the rest of the plastic, but since I plan on giving her a good body blushing, and haven't finished sanding, I think that this repair might actually work!

If it holds up to sanding, I think everything will be okay. I may try to add a bit more of the shavings to even out the dimples if sanding doesn't do so.

Failing the above, I'll try to get my hands on some Milliput and open the gaps up a bit more.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline beautiful_monster

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • I want more life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »
Interesting! Thanks for sharing :)