collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 17
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

January 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Tis the Season to be Anxious  (Read 3059 times)

Offline PuffPink

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • PuffPink
Tis the Season to be Anxious
« on: December 04, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »
Fa la lalala. Should I hide my dolls?

This year instead of taking down half the shelf I've resolved to just not have anyone in my room.
No one really came into my room until I invited them anwyay...

So fellow collectors. Anyone else ready to get into hiding with family coming over? Or are you completely shameless?

Do you just forbid the showroom/shelfspace? Does everyone know in your family? Are you getting dolls from your grandma?

I figured this might be a common problem, what with some people having to give up the guest room(coughdollroom) to relatives, or having people over for things. While they wonder what exactly you're doing with half bald doll heads on sticks(for you customizers)?

So what's up with everyone this season of judgemental relatives not miding their business? c:

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
Re: Tis the Season to be Anxious
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 09:02:04 PM »
I'm shameless. I post my collection all over my facebook, so all of my family on there knows... and my family is very talkative, so my aunts and uncles that aren't on there probably know, too. I don't really bring them up in conversation around my extended family, but if someone mentions something about my toys or asks me a question, I don't mind talking about it at all. My family is all super chill and close, though... so no bad feelings about it anywhere.

The only people I think may not know are my in-law's, but that's a really weird situation, anyways. (My husband really doesn't like his parents.) But if they were ever to "find out" or ask, I wouldn't really care at all.

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline QuirkyCat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »
When family comes over I shut more door and tell no one to go in. I don't think I will ever be ready to tell them I like dolls. I live with my grandma so of course I get dolls from her  :P.  I would just put all doll stuf in my room and tell people not to go in there.

Offline Snow Musket

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »
I come from a family who is pretty accepting.  In fact, part of the living room decoration space is reserved for me to rotate my dolls and figurines through. 

Offline rosierjay

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 10:35:15 PM »
i have my dolls attached to the wall. i'm not ashamed of them, but i know they bother my family. my thought is.... i keep them in the bedroom. if you don't like them. that's ok. don't go in there.
i did just get some bjds that cost me quite a bit that i'm planning on hiding until i can camouflage them with the 17" mh dolls. i like toys if they can't accept there isn't much i can do about it. yes i love them, but i don't understand why they watch football every week, do i criticize them for it? no, so they should be understanding of my hobbies too. it just ends up being something we don't talk about. i don't ask for dolls or ponies, but some friends i have will often get them for me. so it's all good.

i often have doll heads in my pocket and will randomly pull them out at work. most people i work with have just come to accept that as part of who i am and aren't even surprised anymore. i love it when someone new starts and they find out about it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:38:42 PM by rosierjay »

Offline Robina

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • It's Ninja Time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
My family thinks I'm weird, except my dad who was thrilled to be able to finally buy me a doll. XD I was such a tomboy as a kid I'd rather get action figures than Barbies, though I had both. But they'll all let me ramble about dolls, TMNT, comics... Then look at each other and say "Did you understand any of that?" I don't live with any of them, and they don't come to my house (roommate and them don't get along) so it all works out. :)

Offline Scarlett

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
My dolls are all put away at the moment - we don't have room for the tree and the dolls in the lounge room.
My family may not understand my collections, but they do support ,y interests. I will almost certainly get something Dr Who related from me of my sisters for Christmas  :biggrin:

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »
I actually don't have much family. At least I don't have much that we stay in contact with. It's just my mom, son, two brothers, my sister-in-law, my niece and my uncle. But they all know I collect dolls. It would be hard not to know since my computer desk is out in the living room and I display my MH dolls as well as my Princess Peach & Elsa figures, Shopkins and mini Zelfs. All my other collections are in my bedroom, which consists of my Rapunzel collection, MLPs, EAH dolls, Hello Kitty collection, J-Dolls, Barbies, Project MC2 & Moxie Teenz. It kind of resembles a toy store in there.  ^^;

One of my brothers collects toys and figures (mostly video game related, but also Lego minifigs, anime & cartoon figures) so he doesn't say anything about my toys. He's actually helped me fix a few broken dolls. He re-glued the broken ankle joint on one of my J-Dolls and has fixed the legs on a few of my mini animator's dolls that had too much spare plastic covering the hole for the peg to fit in. My other brother doesn't really say anything about my dolls one way or the other. His wife is pretty supportive and has even bought me new dolls at times. She was pretty shocked the first time she saw my room, though. My niece of course loves my collections and loves to look at them, but I don't let her touch since she's only three. But I have bought her some of her own dolls and ponies and she takes really good care of them. My teenage son doesn't say much about my collection. He collects stuffed monkeys, video game & anime figures and Legos, so he doesn't really have room to talk anyway. My mom was against my collecting at first, but she's come around. I think she kind of realized that my collections make me happy and help with my anxiety.

Offline Myrcury

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Official Candy Ghoul (says Dfotw!) <3
    • View Profile
    • Myrcury's Toybox
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 01:19:57 AM »
I'm lucky - my family is very supportive of pretty much everything I do, even if they think it's weird. Much like Robina's dad, my sister was thrilled to pieces to finally be able to shop for me in "the pink aisle" due to my previous disinterest in most things considered "for girls".  She actually bought me my first Monster High dolls (two Skelitas) last year for Christmas. This year, her and Robina have exchanged texts to conspire about... well I don't know what, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's toy and/or doll related. XD

All of my friends know that I'm a toy collector and enthusiast too. So while I don't plan on having anyone in my room during our upcoming Christmas party, I know that doll and toy collections wouldn't be any sort of issue if I did. I'm lucky, did I mention? :D

My Sales *** My Trades *** My Wishlist

I'm a fabric hoarder! Need fabric for making doll clothes? PM me, maybe I can help! :)

Offline SweetScreams

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 08:35:29 AM »
Nah, I'm shameless. The dolls are on selves (with doors, because of dust) in our bedroom anyway and I don't see anyone going  there. Even so, I don't mind if they want to see the dolls :) (everyone knows I'm collecting).

Offline BlueChaos

• Crazy Werecat Lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sister Pack
  • Wait...what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
I keep my bedroom door shut not because I'm ashamed of my dolls, but because I'm a very private person.  The family that does come for visits knows I'm a toy collector.  One of my aunts will ask to see my collection because she likes old monster movies, and another collects MLPs. So no judgment from them.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 10:46:15 AM »
I have a small apartment, and more dolls than I have room to display, so I have a "rotating display" where some dolls are out for a while, then they get put away while others get displayed.  I don't care if ppl notice.  I let them know I'm a doll collector and if they like it fine, if not, that's their problem.

I had a childhood similar to Robina's....I did love Barbie as a little girl, but as I got closer to my tweens I was more into action figures like the Star Wars ones and Mego super-heroes.  Then when I turned 16 or so, I began getting into dolls again, SSC, Barbie, etc.  (I still kept my childhood dolls.)    I did keep my love of dolls a secret from everyone except my parents for years, but now I no longer care who knows.  AAMOF, I've actually made more friends by sharing my (former) secret with others! :)
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline nodesire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
Mine are all in my room, which I usually keep closed of because it's a disaster area. ^^; But my family knows I collect. Heck, probably half of my collection were gifts from family. We have some younger family members who like to look at my dolls and I let them.

Offline whimsiary

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
    • Instagram!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »
I don't have an option of hiding them. My office space doubles as the guest room, so whenever anybody stays, they get a full blast of all my collectibles.  :biggrin: My bff refers to my MH girls as "the creepy dolls that watch me when I sleep." I rearrange them whenever she visits so that they're all staring at the bed, and she usually puts two or three of them into lewd positions before she leaves. It's all in good fun though, and I don't mind.

My mom and FMIL think it's fun-my mom had three dolls waiting for me when I last visited her, and bought me a fourth while we were out shopping. FMIL bought me a GG Luna for my birthday and said she had a lot of fun in the toy aisle picking one.

My dad doesn't like MH at all though. :( I don't think he has an opinion on me collecting toys at all, but I know he prefers some -like my vintage LiteBrite and G1 MLP to MH. I think for him the older toys make sense -a nostalgia thing. My guess is that he feels I'm too old to be interested in new toys.

Sometimes when this place gets kinda empty ~ The sound of the breath fades with the light
I think about the loveless fascination ~ Under the Milky Way tonight

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »
When I lived in a 1-bedroom apartment, they were in my dining room. I couldn't hide them all. So everyone knew. Freaked out the guy that came to clean our carpets, though. Now I have them all in their own room upstairs, so people only see them if I want them to ^.^

Offline bewilderbeastie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • "Taako's good out here."
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr~
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 04:23:41 PM »
I don't really have visitors, except for my dad, and both he and my mother are used to it. The dolls aren't the issue, they're all in my room and the door's always shut, but there's a whole bookcase in the hallway covered with ponies and people always freak out when they see it. People who know beforehand don't expect the collection to be so big, and people that don't just stop dead on their way to the bathroom.  :P

At any rate, it's only my dad for Christmas, and he already knows everything.
Looking for Scooter Ghoulia's boots, Dexter's glasses, any Gil Webber bits and pieces and Pokémon figures!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
[Dolls are packed away in the attic for moving]

I was a bit worried about my collecting when I first started, but now? Don't care. I showed my grandmother one of my dolls and she acknowledged they were nice, a coworker was into BJD and she was fascinated by the articulation on them.

Hon, I collect yaoi manga. It's pretty damn explicit in certain volumes, which is the bulk of my (now thinned for possible international moving) collection. All my stuff is in one room, and when I have my own house, they will be on display. Dolls are in the same category as that for me; it's something I am interested in, there is nothing shameful about it, why not have them on display? People collect Betty Boop, Disneyana, ponies, Transformers, none of that is socially unacceptable by ANY means. It's simply what you love!

I think doll collecting has a bad rep from the older generation of dolls, the child-like ones (as in, they look like children) and the 'creepy doll' trope is very much alive and well. But dolls in the same vein as Barbie? Not so much. Display and be proud! Anyone that has a problem with it can take it outside, as far as I am concerned.

Avatar Credit : Wookylee | Sig Credit : Seahawk270

MLP Gameloft Friend Code : 52b33c6 | MLPArena Account : Lady Frostbite

Offline Crystal-Spooky

• One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Professionally broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 05:53:04 PM »
The majority of my dolls are in a glass display cabinet right inside the entrance to my room, so you can't really miss it when you walk in. Additionally I usually have pieces of dolls scattered across my desk and two large art dolls have taken up permanent residence in the corner, and then there's all the stuffed animals that live on my bed and the shelf full of ponies...
I don't mind people knowing about my collection/s as the majority of people think that I'm really weird anyway, and I haven't had any negative reactions so far :)
~*~ We are shooting stars ~*~

Offline leenetje

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
i'm also in the shameless camp. for the secret santa my family does i listed some dolls, so anybody that didn't know by now, knows now :) when on a international family shopping trip with my aunt, niece and mother i asked to go to a toy store to check the dolls they had in that country. and other stuff like that. i don't actually know what my family thinks about it, but they don't bother me about it. My MIL does give me dolls as gifts, she thinks they are cool.  :biggrin:

Offline Howls-wth-Wolves

• Freaky Fabulous
  • Go ghouls!! Hockey ghoul in the house
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
Living in a small apartment space is limited. I don't hide them but you'd have to look to spot them. Given that my shelves pull double duty with my various collections.